• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New majority owner of Peak Resorts

prsboogie

As you process ignore my over the top reaction.

This topic sets me off, I have a family member who was just weaned off of opioids. She was lucky.
And on a very personal note I was not lucky enough to have my nephew at Easter this year or for the last 5 years because he chose to shoot heroin and died in 2014, so this shit is as personal as I comes. He wasn't prescribed oxy or ever had an reason other than he was soft minded and listened to his "friends" who said how amazing it felt to get high. Start to finish - dead in one year. And to hit a beeshive that many here hold dear to their hearts, he started with MJ and just liked getting high.
I helped 2 close friends get off prescribed opiates.. It wasn't easy..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Right and what funds the research on said rare treatments? Profits from widely sold PKs, I get it it’s an unfortunate reality/business model with built in zero-accountability

You really have no idea what you're talking about and sound dumb on this issue.

Like ThinkSnow & cdskier, I too have worked in biotech and pharma most of my career. You've watched one too many dramatic documentaries and have blindly listened to too many politicians trying to (apparently successfully) inflame you.

FWIW, (not that I think you'll even care to learn), few pharma companies as a percent of the whole even sell these drugs, and those that do dont generally focus on orphan drug treatments.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

I work in a busy midsized hospital's ER in SE Mass and we average 2 ODs every day (Monday-Friday) I'm here. At least 2-3 deaths per week out of those. So no one needs to tell me the horrors of opiate addiction. The ones I get to talk to didn't start using heroin because the had a surgery and was prescribed oxys for pain control. The lionshare illegally obtained them to help them escape their demons.

THIS.

Here is another myth regarding this issue. That most people get hooked because they had a backache & a doc prescribed them a drug.

Does this happen? Absolutely it does. But there is this myth out there that is the 2nd-rung of the naive "evil Big pharma" argument, that that's how most people get hooked, and as you correctly note, this could not be further from the truth.

O09

I was under the impression that the guy was vp at peaks at the time that he was busted setting up the oxy distribution ring. The local police traced the packages that were being sent to him under his dog's name. Caught him with something like 500 pills. Could be rumor.

xlr8r

I really don't get why anyone would want to hurt likely hundreds of thousands of people by trying to shutter their employer. It's not their fault they are owned by shitheads

And this kind of thinking is how shitheads like the Sacklers win.

sull1102

And on a very personal note I was not lucky enough to have my nephew at Easter this year or for the last 5 years because he chose to shoot heroin and died in 2014, so this shit is as personal as I comes. He wasn't prescribed oxy or ever had an reason other than he was soft minded and listened to his "friends" who said how amazing it felt to get high. Start to finish - dead in one year. And to hit a beeshive that many here hold dear to their hearts, he started with MJ and just liked getting high.

Sorry for your loss, but MJ had zero to do with it. Blaming MJ is truly a problem in this country because it is an excuse that is too easy to use.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using AlpineZone mobile app

FBGM

I was under the impression that the guy was vp at peaks at the time that he was busted setting up the oxy distribution ring. The local police traced the packages that were being sent to him under his dog's name. Caught him with something like 500 pills. Could be rumor.

This is true. It was Jesse Boyd. He’s the son of the #1 at Peak. He was like overseeing all Jack Frost and big boulder at the time of this bust. Now I think he’s in charge of all mountain operations for peak. So yeah...good company.

tumbler

This is true. It was Jesse Boyd. He’s the son of the #1 at Peak. He was like overseeing all Jack Frost and big boulder at the time of this bust. Now I think he’s in charge of all mountain operations for peak. So yeah...good company.

Then this whole thing is completely F'd up. Will employees start to walk?

drjeff

Then this whole thing is completely F'd up. Will employees start to walk?

Given the rural location of many Peak Resort properties, not exactly a plethora of job offerings for current Peak employees to walk to if they so choose. And for many they moved to those areas for the mountain lifestyle, so asking them to give that up, while it may sound reasonable on paper, may be a huge leap in reality.

In the big scheme of things, the likelihood is just like the cross section of passionate skiers and riders than make up the core of AZ isn't an accurate view of what the overall make up of the majority of skier/rider visits at any given resort day in and day out is, the overall impact of what the Sackler's increasing their stake in Peak resorts last year will end up being to the majority of Peak customers is likely going to be minimal in the big scheme of things. It's just not going to get the national media attention like say the Dick's Sporting Goods and removing guns and ammunition from their stores choice, or the Target bathroom/dressing room of your choice media issue or the Yeti pulling their brand status with NRA members did.

Will there be people in these companies and/or Doctors who willingly over prescribed Opiods continued to be brought up on charges and/or face fines and possible jail time? Yup. Will the media attention decrease over time? Probably, as more and more these days the "relevance" of a media pushed topic has a shorter and shorter lifespan to the general public (even if a small cross section of the population continues to be borderline obsessed with the topic.

Is this a BIG social deal/crisis? Yup. Is it also a multi-factorial situation? Yup. Has Oxycontin in particular, when used properly been a godsend for some select patients? Yup. Has Oxycontin when used properly, as well as used not properly been a terrible drug that has caused addiction and overdose issues? No doubt about it

Last edited:

catskillman

Not sure I hold anything against Peaks so that would be inappropriate to me. Yes they took bad $ but it's tough for me to blame them. I'm sure I've made money from investments in pharma. Do the Sacklers manage day to day ops at Peaks resorts? doubtful.

Peaks runs ski areas...although the fact that a lift ops had to be revived from an overdose is pretty chilling.

Yes, and there was another overdose in the bar. That guy did not make it

Hawk

I have my own personal view about this. I have friends that took oxy and became mildly addicted. Sweats, headaches, sick feelings. One from shoulder surgery, one from a hip replacement. We have talked about this a number of times and they blame doctors and the FDA more then the sackers. In the general scheme of things drug companies come up with all kinds of medications. Son Good some bad, some work and some fail and cause great harm. Most try with good intensions but the pressure to succeed with big money on the line is a huge problem. Where was the FDA with trials and testing. Where were the doctors when the patients came back with addiction symptoms? I mean is was not long after the drug was released that everybody knew it was addictive. The big picture is that if we sue and put out of business all these companies that make the drugs, then who will find the next cure? With the current drug problems the northeast is facing, people want heads and where do we draw the line?

BenedictGomez

prsboogie

MJ is a debate for another time but the point was the kid liked to get high and chased bigger and "better" highs and it caught him.
Sorry for your loss, but MJ had zero to do with it. Blaming MJ is truly a problem in this country because it is an excuse that is too easy to use.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using AlpineZone mobile app