New majority owner of Peak Resorts - Page 19

AlpineZone

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Here's my perspective on this.... As crazy as this sounds, the retired couple from NYC who owns the condo 2 down from mine at Mount Snow, have now spent the last 3 winters (2nd week of December through 3rd week in March) out in Park City. They've had either Deer Valley or IKON passes each year.

When they returned this year, I was talking with the husband (he's quite the crumudgeonly guy on his best days to say the least ) and when I asked him how his season in Utah was he essentially said "The F#$king cheap IKON pass had Deer Valley with Mount Snow weekend like crowds probably 25 days this season! And the 3 weeks we were in Jackson had more Sh$t show days than regular days trying to get out of the base area!"

While I have a bunch of GREAT friends/neighbors in my condo complex at Mount Snow for sure, I also have a few of "those" neighbors too!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
    Jackson has become quite the shit show. There’s plenty of places to go ski that aren’t ikon or epic out there and have plenty of good terrain for the majority of skiers. I’ve known plenty of just ok skiers that think they have to go to Jackson or snowbird but they’d probably be better off going somewhere a lot quieter and with more mid angle terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Have you skied pre and post IKON regularly to say with such definitive “no more busy”???

Or was THAT the “misinformation” that needs clearing up?
    You're definitely correct about this. It's obvious from just chatting up Park City locals, not to mention Deer Valley itself admits as much regarding crowds, even if they wont pin it on IKON, but rather on the great snow year.

As for having a "cap", that's great, but if you're actually having to ENFORCE said cap on many more days than is typically normal, yeah, that's a significant increase in crowds. I personally think IKON is a significant driver, not just the awesome snow year, but time shall reveal the truth there.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Have you skied pre and post IKON regularly to say with such definitive “no more busy”???

Or was THAT the “misinformation” that needs clearing up?
    I have skied there a lot pre and post IKOn

Skier cap had stayed the same. No one knows what it is for sure. Some say it’s a moving number. But I think it’s between 6-8k. The difference is before IKON there was much fewer maxed out days. Also, this winter, first with IKON was the best winter in 8 years. Shit popped off. Yeah it was busy. Not all IKON.

Also The Buck is full of snobs. And it’s great because they don’t ski the goods. And The Buck has lots
    Of goods

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Jackson has become quite the shit show. There’s plenty of places to go ski that aren’t ikon or epic out there and have plenty of good terrain for the majority of skiers. I’ve known plenty of just ok skiers that think they have to go to Jackson or snowbird but they’d probably be better off going somewhere a lot quieter and with more mid angle terrain.
    Harsh, but true. Like how the tourons from out there come to Manhattan and clog up the streets and subways with their salt-of-the-earth lard, spending 99% of their time horsing down the specials at chain restaurants and staring at their cell phones. Jersey City has plenty of Olive Gardens, a better view of the skyline and quicker access to the Statue of Liberty. Much better fit for the majority of them and less inconvenience for the locals.

Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    Harsh, but true. Like how the tourons from out there come to Manhattan and clog up the streets and subways with their salt-of-the-earth lard, spending 99% of their time horsing down the specials at chain restaurants and staring at their cell phones. Jersey City has plenty of Olive Gardens, a better view of the skyline and quicker access to the Statue of Liberty. Much better fit for the majority of them and less inconvenience for the locals.
    haha. that was funny my friend!

gladerider

Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    Yeah, but you can't tick that box of "been to New York"

The equivalent of "skied Jackson".

Quote Originally Posted by gladerider View Post
    haha. that was funny my friend!
    I kid, I kid. Visitors from fly-over country are great - who else is going to keep the fake monks and raggedy elmos busy in Times Square?

New majority owner of Peak Resorts

Who cares whether someone is right for a mountain - if they want to say they have been there that is cool. Most skiers and snowboarders only ski two thirds of most resorts. A place like Jackson Hole is not only about skiing or snowboarding.

BTW New Jersey does not have Times Square or Broadway or dozens of other attractions.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by dblskifanatic View Post
    BTW New Jersey does not have Times Square or Broadway or dozens of other attractions.
    I still don't understand the appeal of Times Square as an attraction. Broadway I totally understand though...

I hope Hunter Jersey Shore comes back now. Even tho it got canceled before the 2ed episode and they only aired 4 total. Shit was lit. I miss it.

Thread Information