• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New majority owner of Peak Resorts

drjeff

The passholders site has always been a Mount Snow focused forum.

Occasionally some general Peak questions get asked about either other Peak resorts or the company in general, but the vast majority of the questions/topic pertain to Mount Snow, and the majority of the Peak crew responding to the questions are Mount Snow specific personnel.

I'm wondering if it's promoted for the folks who buy their passes with Mount Snow as their listed home resort, since I know I have seen the passholders forum listed as a "perk" on various print and online pass adds with Mount Snow listed as the resort at the top of the add/page?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
Hasnt the sackler family had a substantial minority share for years? Peaks must have tried real hard to keep this under the radar, Really does not matter, by next fall majority of people will have forgotten about it and everything will be normal by the time snowmaking starts up.

This is sadly true.

cdskier

Hasnt the sackler family had a substantial minority share for years? Peaks must have tried real hard to keep this under the radar

How exactly does a public company keep things that are publicly available as part of their SEC filings under the radar? The information was out there for anyone that bothered to look. The problem is that no one cared to look until someone in the media did the research and wrote a story about it. And yes, they purchased their initial 7% ownership stake back in 2015 that qualified them as "beneficial owners". And their name was in black and white in the SEC filing regarding "Statement of acquisition of beneficial ownership by individuals".

prsboogie

I'm sure they ain't giving back the 42M though are they
I work for Tufts Medical Center where Tufts University has the Sackler School of BioMedical Sciences... Built in the 80's by a 42M Sackler Family donation. Needless to say hundreds of Tufts Univ. & Tufts Med. Cntr. Faculty and employees are trying to press the university to remove the name....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using AlpineZone mobile app

skiur

How exactly does a public company keep things that are publicly available as part of their SEC filings under the radar? The information was out there for anyone that bothered to look. The problem is that no one cared to look until someone in the media did the research and wrote a story about it. And yes, they purchased their initial 7% ownership stake back in 2015 that qualified them as "beneficial owners". And their name was in black and white in the SEC filing regarding "Statement of acquisition of beneficial ownership by individuals".

How many passholders do you really think look at SEC filings? Maybe .005%? This is news that they would have preferred to have stayed out of the light. If not for the media story it would have stayed out of the light and we wouldn't have 8 pages of discussion on it. Just because something is publicly available does not make it publicly known.

cdskier

How many passholders do you really think look at SEC filings? Maybe .005%? This is news that they would have preferred to have stayed out of the light. If not for the media story it would have stayed out of the light and we wouldn't have 8 pages of discussion on it. Just because something is publicly available does not make it publicly known.

I agree with much of what you're saying. What I don't agree with is that they had to "try hard" to hide it. How many companies regularly issue press releases every time there's a stock transaction resulting in someone becoming a beneficial owner? So Peaks did nothing different than most other companies (that's my point). That people are too lazy to research a company and their ownership is not Peak's fault. That's a general problem with society. We don't care until someone else tells us to care. Ignorance is bliss!

drjeff

I agree with much of what you're saying. What I don't agree with is that they had to "try hard" to hide it. How many companies regularly issue press releases every time there's a stock transaction resulting in someone becoming a beneficial owner? So Peaks did nothing different than most other companies (that's my point). That people are too lazy to research a company and their ownership is not Peak's fault. That's a general problem with society. We don't care until someone else tells us to care. Ignorance is bliss!

Honestly it seems like most publicly traded companies don't make any comments about who their investors are. Much more likely it seems for an investor, especially a large investor to comment, often via business trade avenues, about them acquiring or selling a significant stake in a company if they so choose. Right? Wrong? That's fully open for debate...

snoseek

I feel like if I was back there my greediness would win over my ethics. In a perfect world this company folds or gets out of nh...because they completely suck in nh. If I knew I could make an impact with that as a result I would jump in for a years or two....other than that wildcat is such a good hill to pass up

FBGM

I feel like if I was back there my greediness would win over my ethics. In a perfect world this company folds or gets out of nh...because they completely suck in nh. If I knew I could make an impact with that as a result I would jump in for a years or two....other than that wildcat is such a good hill to pass up

They suck company wide. They don’t know how to run a company and business. They are in debt like crazy. No wonder they are letting such a black marked company come in and invest. I give them 2 years before fire sale and going under.

thebigo

because they completely suck in nh.

Not an accurate statement, important to remember that crotched was defunct for over a decade with no hope of revival before peaks came to town. Today it has the best night skiing operation in northern New England and more importantly it is an excellent conduit for new skiers to fall in love with the sport. It offers cheap, local access for college students and excellent kids programs.

I agree attitash is an absolute disaster but wildcat is a special place and they have been a decent steward. Wildcat pre-peaks never made snow like they do today. I also agree that it is starting to feel like asc - end of days, just hope whoever picks up the pieces has the resources and commitment to keep the crotch and cat going, the sport needs both. As for attitash, I have no idea.

Quietman

Not an accurate statement, important to remember that crotched was defunct for over a decade with no hope of revival before peaks came to town. Today it has the best night skiing operation in northern New England and more importantly it is an excellent conduit for new skiers to fall in love with the sport. It offers cheap, local access for college students and excellent kids programs.

They invested a lot to rebuild Crotched from the ground up, and then spent the bucks to upgrade with the rocket which makes all the difference. I saw a lot more young families with kids using day passes this season vs previous years, and most of the kids were smiling and happy. Also, lots more lesson sessions this season. Agree that they need to decide how to deal with Attitash, but the other mountains seem to be doing pretty well.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Does Peak publish an income statement broken down by ski area?

I'd be interested in reading what the total revenue and profit margin is by each individual area.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Does Peak publish an income statement broken down by ski area?

I recall reading the initial filing, and I believe it did at the time as I remember realizing that Mount Snow was largely the cash cow. I also remember thinking their debt level was staggering, and then they bought Hunter.