A "SMART" Ski Lift: The Future of Ski Lifts?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44
  1. #1
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    27,455

    Post A "SMART" Ski Lift: The Future of Ski Lifts?

    Unofficial just posted this article summarzing Doppelmayr's announcement of a SMART Ropeway with interactive screens on the gondola cabins:

    https://unofficialnetworks.com/2019/...LoX_kBzXCJRSgE

    Doppelmayr's site:

    http://www.smartropeway.com/

    I doubt we will see this in the U.S. anytime soon...looks like big bucks.

    Live, Ski, or Die!


  2. #2
    Interesting concept.

    The difficult part of implementing something like this will be the rapid change in technology in a lift system that's designed to be in place for 15-20 years. I give a quick example: A gym I used to go to installed all new treadmills that had 30 pin iPhone connectors on them...just as the lightning connectors were being widely adopted.
    SoVT

  3. #3
    Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Mad River Valley / MA
    Posts
    624
    LOL I think that once they bata test those suckers and the usual Fuc-sticks vandalize them with lighters or smash the display screen, they will go away and you will be left with a very expensive gondola car that does exactly what it did before. Transport people up the mountain.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Unofficial just posted this article summarzing Doppelmayr's announcement of a SMART Ropeway with interactive screens on the gondola cabins:

    https://unofficialnetworks.com/2019/...LoX_kBzXCJRSgE

    Doppelmayr's site:

    http://www.smartropeway.com/

    I doubt we will see this in the U.S. anytime soon...looks like big bucks.
    These will last / work for maybe 1 week of a holiday period and then be trashed all to hell.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    These will last / work for maybe 1 week of a holiday period and then be trashed all to hell.
    They just need to design one that fights back. Hightech Alpine Lift aka HAL.

  6. #6
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    27,455
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    These will last / work for maybe 1 week of a holiday period and then be trashed all to hell.
    That too.
    Live, Ski, or Die!


  7. #7
    Just yet another example of tech for techs sake.

    Bonus points for this being really expensive, which will further incrementally drive up the cost of skiing.

    While we're at it, I don't need a television on my refrigerator either.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    the woods of greater-Waltham
    Posts
    587

    A "SMART" Ski Lift: The Future of Ski Lifts?

    I generally hate vandalism and am disappointed when i see its presence in the skiing world. But the threat of vanadlism helping keep marketing TV screens out of chairlifts is a good thing. ironic...

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream View Post
    I generally hate vandalism and am disappointed when i see its presence in the skiing world. But the threat of vanadlism helping keep marketing TV screens out of chairlifts is a good thing. ironic...
    It is not vandalism it is just the nature of gondolas and ski equipment. Poles, helmets, ski boots, snowboards forced to go in under the seats when you have 8 snowboarders in a car, etc, all put some serious wear and tear on gondola cars. I have yet to see one more than a year or two old that isn't scratched all to hell.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    the woods of greater-Waltham
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    It is not vandalism it is just the nature of gondolas and ski equipment. Poles, helmets, ski boots, snowboards forced to go in under the seats when you have 8 snowboarders in a car, etc, all put some serious wear and tear on gondola cars. I have yet to see one more than a year or two old that isn't scratched all to hell.
    I agree that regular use puts a lot of wear gondolas but I think vandalism would be a factor too. The vandal's mind is always looking for something to mess up.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:44 PM.