• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Passholder Charged with Disorderly Conduct After February Lift Incident

deadheadskier

Staff member
A ski resort is no different than any other kind of hospitality business. How you market such businesses contributes to the kind of clientele you get.

Killington markets itself as the Apres capital of the East. So, you get a fair amount of Bachelor type dudes who aren't always respectful around families. Kinda like how New Orleans isn't Disneyland.

Virtually every mountain has a fairly predictable clientele based on how they market themselves.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I've both received and offered rides up/down the access road... and I've been smoked out in a gondi as a middle-aged man brags to his friends on his cell phone about the "action" he got last night. It all evens out in the end...K is a good place.

Andrew B.

I've both received and offered rides up/down the access road... and I've been smoked out in a gondi as a middle-aged man brags to his friends on his cell phone about the "action" he got last night. It all evens out in the end...K is a good place.
Try asking skiers at other hills why they don’t ski K.
Many folks I ask say the same thing, LOVE the hill, hate the people (usually followed by something about New Yorkers)

mikec142

A ski resort is no different than any other kind of hospitality business. How you market such businesses contributes to the kind of clientele you get.

Killington markets itself as the Apres capital of the East. So, you get a fair amount of Bachelor type dudes who aren't always respectful around families. Kinda like how New Orleans isn't Disneyland.

Virtually every mountain has a fairly predictable clientele based on how they market themselves.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

This strikes me as a reasonable assessment. I would also suggest that once a reputation is gained, it's hard to change. As a father of teens, for years, I've taken my family to Windham rather than Hunter because IMHO, Windham has more of a family friendly reputation. And my impression of Hunter stems from my own experiences from over 25 years ago.

Domeskier

I only ski K late season, so I mostly associate it with weirdoes in costumes.

Scruffy

Assholes...you meet them EVERYWHERE you go.

NOT exclusive to K.

Yup, and learning to ignore them is a skill worth developing. But, honestly, I've skied Killington for the past 25 years and I've never encountered many peeps with attitude, or the crowds so bad I wished I hadn't gone. Maybe I've been lucky. I certainly didn't see any fights or outright rude behavior. And now I predominately ski weekdays, so my chances are getting better I won't encounter any "hardos" at K. :lol:

skithetrees

The only place I have ever gotten an attitude to the point that it bothered me was at Jackson Hole. SOME locals act like they own the place and everyone else is an unwelcome guest. Killington never really stood out to me one way or another in terms of attitude.

mikec142

The only place I have ever gotten an attitude to the point that it bothered me was at Jackson Hole. SOME locals act like they own the place and everyone else is an unwelcome guest. Killington never really stood out to me one way or another in terms of attitude.

That's interesting to me...on my two trips to Jackson Hole, I remember marveling at how nice and polite everyone was. Although I expect the staff to be nice, I loved the mountain ambassadors at JH. So helpful and kind.

raisingarizona

It’s the ski center of the universe bro.

Jackson can feel real cold at first inspection but once you’re in you make life long friends. Like a lot of resort towns they see a lot of people come and go so they don’t greet everyone with open arms and it’s a bit of a proving ground. A mountain like that comes with tough people and that’s what makes it what it is. What you are talking about though is likely more related to aggressive young men that are new to town and feeling the brunt of that local cold shoulder. The winters are long, woman are scarce and the competition is fierce!

Anyways, if you think that was bad you should have seen the young lodge boys at Alta come spring back in the 90’s. They were so backed up they’d go full rehtard.