• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe trip report April 20th & 21st.

Tonyr

We got our last VT weekend of skiing in over the Easter holiday doing 2 days at Stowe then 2 days at Jay Peak after Stowe closed for the season on Sunday. We had never skied that late in the season before so we had no idea what to expect. Unfortunately the conditions on Saturday at Stowe were pretty rough. The cover was still good they had over 60 trails open on Mt Mansfield but it was foggy and a little icy in the morning. Then starting around noon the rain came down and turned the whole mountain into a sheet of ice. Below, the first 3 pictures are from Toll house and Standard in the morning. After the rain started coming down I stayed out there until 1.30 or so then called it a day. Nosedive was really the only challenging run skiable although I did hop in the Nosedive glades once which surprisingly weren't horrible considering the conditions.

Fortunately Sunday ended up being outstanding with 70 degree blue sky weather and near perfect spring skiing conditions. Stowe surprised us by re-opening the gondola then keeping it running until noon so we got the chance to ski that side of the Mt Mansfield as well which was really nice. Perry Merrill is our favorite intermediate run at Stowe the last two pictures are from that run on Sunday it was in perfect spring skiing condition. By 2 p.m. my wife and son went in for the day so I had a chance to finish off the Stowe season strong......20190420_112839.jpg20190420_114822.jpg20190420_114816.jpg20190421_094432.jpg20190421_123524.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using AlpineZone mobile app

Tonyr

We got our last VT weekend of skiing in over the Easter holiday doing 2 days at Stowe then 2 days at Jay Peak after Stowe closed for the season on Sunday. We had never skied that late in the season before so we had no idea what to expect. Unfortunately the conditions on Saturday at Stowe were pretty rough. The cover was still good they had over 60 trails open on Mt Mansfield but it was foggy and a little icy in the morning. Then starting around noon the rain came down and turned the whole mountain into a sheet of ice. Below, the first 3 pictures are from Toll house and Standard in the morning. After the rain started coming down I stayed out there until 1.30 or so then called it a day. Nosedive was really the only challenging run skiable although I did hop in the Nosedive glades once which surprisingly weren't horrible considering the conditions.

Fortunately Sunday ended up being outstanding with 70 degree blue sky weather and near perfect spring skiing conditions. Stowe surprised us by re-opening the gondola then keeping it running until noon so we got the chance to ski that side of the Mt Mansfield as well which was really nice. Perry Merrill is our favorite intermediate run at Stowe the last two pictures are from that run on Sunday it was in perfect spring skiing condition. By 2 p.m. my wife and son went in for the day so I had a chance to finish off the Stowe season strong......View attachment 25201View attachment 25202View attachment 25203View attachment 25204View attachment 25205

Once the family went in for the day I was able to get 7 more runs in. I hit Goat 3 times, Bypass 3 times, then ducked over to Starr once via Liftline and the S-53 crossover. I skied Goat earlier this year and was a little disappointed as I didn't feel that the run was very tough. To be fair it was real windy the weekend we were up there in February so the bumps on Goat were shells of their former selves as you can see in the first picture. On Sunday it was all bumped up and as challenging as I thought it would be. Upper Goat was closed but even that looked skiable as you can see in the 3rd picture. Lower Goat had big open patches of dirt, it was totally unskiable so I'd take National down instead each time which was still in pretty good condition aside from a dirt patch here or there. The last two photos were of Starr which I should not have gotten on. Aside from all the bare spots the snow was crusty and heavy from not being skied on for a while. 20190220_151710.jpg20190421_133023.jpg20190421_133017.jpg20190421_143227.jpg20190421_143234.jpg

Tonyr

Once the family went in for the day I was able to get 7 more runs in. I hit Goat 3 times, Bypass 3 times, then ducked over to Starr once via Liftline and the S-53 crossover. I skied Goat earlier this year and was a little disappointed as I didn't feel that the run was very tough. To be fair it was real windy the weekend we were up there in February so the bumps on Goat were shells of their former selves as you can see in the first picture. On Sunday it was all bumped up and as challenging as I thought it would be. Upper Goat was closed but even that looked skiable as you can see in the 3rd picture. Lower Goat had big open patches of dirt, it was totally unskiable so I'd take National down instead each time which was still in pretty good condition aside from a dirt patch here or there. The last two photos were of Starr which I should not have gotten on. Aside from all the bare spots the snow was crusty and heavy from not being skied on for a while. View attachment 25206View attachment 25207View attachment 25208View attachment 25209View attachment 25210

My favorite runs of the day were going down Bypass then into the Nosedive glades. I think it's my favorite in bounds line on the mountain. Last weekend was my first time skiing Bypass, it's a short run but steep and alot of fun. I also liked that you can duck into the glades to the skiers left of the run. Below are some photos from Bypass and the Nosedive glades on Sunday, the conditions were great.

All in all we had a fantastic time the last weekend of the season at Stowe. If conditions permit I'd definitely make the trip again next year over Easter weekend.

Tony20190421_144452.jpg20190421_140353.jpg20190421_152849.jpg20190421_152853.jpg20190421_152851.jpg

Tonyr

Looks like they did well with coverage!

Yes they did great, the snow was very soft and slow! It ended up being our best ski trip of the year. Not conditions wise of course but when you factor in better accommodations vs what it costs in peak season and an empty mountain it made a huge difference. We will definitely be up there again next April if conditions permit.

Tony