• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

May 1st and Mother Nature is Confused

JimG.

Staff member
Yeah after a great early and middle season this "spring" has been a dud. Late April warm and very rainy, now cold and cloudy with more rain.

I need 2 more days to hit 50 but weather has been cold and rainy and I'm starting to lose interest. Got busy with my youngest son's SAT prep and that has cost me a few ski days. The rest of this week looks like crap except for maybe Saturday, but that's his test day.

I'm starting to hear the fish calling me.

JimG.

Staff member
Wish it just stop raining long enough so I can swap tires. This spring...sucked. at least for me

Yeah but I'd rather the weather go to crap at this time of year rather than December-March. The first half of April was very good but things have turned since April 17 or so (my last ski day). Would love to hit 50 but not in crap conditions.

Cornhead

Yep, pretty shitty. Left a Whiteface ticket unused, really wanted to get some Spring turns in there. Glad I blew work off to ski Sugarbush a couple Wednesdays ago. Here's to a great May at K. Come on Ma Nature, please deliver.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

tekweezle

Strange thing is that it's still winter range in temperatures in a few places out west and Europe(Banff, Snowbird, Winter Park, and may Val Disere and Zermatt) if you seek it. Unfortunately I called it quits a few weeks ago when it look like winter was completely falling off the table so nothing planned.... And the rest of anything that is open is rapidly drawing to a close.

Cornhead

Strange thing is that it's still winter range in temperatures in a few places out west and Europe(Banff, Snowbird, Winter Park, and may Val Disere and Zermatt) if you seek it. Unfortunately I called it quits a few weeks ago when it look like winter was completely falling off the table so nothing planned.... And the rest of anything that is open is rapidly drawing to a close.
My kid lives in Boulder, he was at the Nuggets game Monday, snowing in Denver at the time. A-basin got 16" in the last 72 hrs.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

jaytrem

Funny, I'd say this was one of my best "spring skiing" years ever. Just not a lot of it spent in New England. Got some great weather in the PA and CA. As for my 2 VT Spring weekends 1 was beautiful and the other very snowy. Guess I lucked out with the timing of things.

MG Skier

Similar story here, I skied Jay on the 14th/15th and had hoped to go back up during school vacation. Thought about K last Sunday but never got there. I need to make a better plan to get to 20, of course staying healthy might help.....currently stuck at 13 days. Oh well, that is 2 more than last year!

abc

Sad to read this thread. All that snow pack, washed away in such a short time.

I used to do a lot of skiing in the northeast in March and April. Because, after all, who wants to gamble with a January thaw? So I used to go out west Jan/Feb and stay in the east in March and April. Somehow I fell off that schedule and went out west even in March and April. (I guess having more vacation days and places to crash in western destination has to do with it).

Still, May in K brings back sweet memories (I'm on the injury recovery list -- planned medical procedure. So not this year)

MG Skier

Yeah,

I hear abc, on the planned medical procedure.....the halthcare professionals are still trying to figure out what screwed up late February early March, I missed 3+ weeks of skiing opportunities. My right knee is a bit interesting, I will stretch out while I watch the Bruins game tonight.

Lat time I skied Killington in May they had a ton of trails open....2015 0r 2016 maybe? It was the best spring ski day!

Zand

Accoring to my Facebook memories I was at Killington on this day in 2015...44 trails still open and the picture I took from the operating Canyon Quad of Downdraft and Double Dipper looks pretty sweet.

Unfortunately a wet torchy April followed by what has been a cold rainy start to May is a buzzkill for this spring.