• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2018/19 Skier visits

mister moose

We need to stop coddling our kids and teach the[m] responsibility...

^ Short version.

I see way too many parents sitting at the end of their driveways with the engine idling and their precious young thing in the car waiting for the school bus. And not just 1st graders, young teens. What does this teach a child? What does this keep a child/young adult from learning? How big is the risk realistically of some evil doer swooping down on your child before they can run to your door vs what happens when they are alone on the bus or in the schoolyard or at the mall?

Griswold

^ Short version.

I see way too many parents sitting at the end of their driveways with the engine idling and their precious young thing in the car waiting for the school bus. And not just 1st graders, young teens. What does this teach a child? What does this keep a child/young adult from learning? How big is the risk realistically of some evil doer swooping down on your child before they can run to your door vs what happens when they are alone on the bus or in the schoolyard or at the mall?

Just curious, do you have kids? Assuming no with the way you use “precious young thing”. Not agreeing or disagreeing with your point but in my opinion if you don’t have kids it’s not really one you are qualified to make.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

slatham

Utah sets record. Up 12% from previous record, up 24% from previous year - that is a HUGE increase.

tumbler

Utah sets record. Up 12% from previous record, up 24% from previous year - that is a HUGE increase.

And waiting for thw spin that it was all season pass holders and not Ikon...yeah, ok.

slatham

And waiting for thw spin that it was all season pass holders and not Ikon...yeah, ok.

SAM article focused on the snow, though did mention "We also gained new visitors through expanded season pass options". IMHO snow was main driver, but on those busy days the EPIC/Ikon pass situation probably sent things off the ledge......

Every resort had above average snow. One resort saw 111 out of 151 days with measurable snow. Never had a stretch longer than 7 days without snow.

And this was through April 15th. Lots of winter weather after that, including now!

thetrailboss

Staff member

Yep. Over 5 million skier/rider days and still counting with Snowbird.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46556872/ski-tourism-in-utah-hit-an-all-time-high-this-season

The spin: it was the snow. There is some truth to that. I also agree with what someone else has said here as to other factors--the economy is good and a certain pass product debuted this year. If you watch the clip, you hear Nathan admit that "if you had a season pass in your pocket you were going to use it", so that is at least an indirect reference.

And one inch of snow = $2.8 million in business to the state.

abc

That's actually quite easy!

Look across both side of the road between Park City and Deer Valley. The increase in PC will be entirely due to good snow. The increase in DV will be snow+Ikon

slatham

That's actually quite easy!

Look across both side of the road between Park City and Deer Valley. The increase in PC will be entirely due to good snow. The increase in DV will be snow+Ikon

Disagree. I think there has been more take-up of the Epic pass the last couple years due to 1) better awareness and 2) the addition of 3 popular East Coast areas that have clientele likely to hit PC.

Though I agree the impact of Ikon to DV is greater than the new Epic pass-holders to PC.

abc

On your first point, the Epic pass awareness does not spike, unlike Ikon.

To your 2nd point regarding the addition of east coast resorts, Ikon also has several east coast mountains. So perhaps it washes out between the two. If so, we’re left with the western Ikon impact of DV. Still easy to work out what that is.

To your last point, that’s a “conclusion” that data to support or refute, instead of guesses and speculations. I would like to be proven right. But I were proven wrong, I'd still prefer to know it rather than not knowing.

Last edited:

machski

There were a few years during which Boyne didn’t appear to scan at all. I found it puzzling.
Loon still scan quite a bit and SL may but SR gave up on scanning years ago. No idea how they get an accurate Passholder skier day count. Has to be an educated guess. As a side note, they need to do something different next season at SR with Ikon and day skiers. The ticket lines the first weekend of April were absolutely ridiculous and many in line were Ikon passholders. Can't imagine the lines were much better any other weekend/peak day.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

So they take an average of skiers per car? that's accurate? It's all a scam and a useless made up number pulled out of some ones ass.

I agree. That method doesn't make a lot of sense. Also wouldn't account for people that live slopeside and can ski to the lifts or people that take some sort of shuttle.

I've often questioned the accuracy of our "historical" skier visit data very much due to the inability to accurately count season pass-holders and it being mostly just a guesstimate in the past. At least today we have technology that "should" allow resorts to accurately report numbers. I can understand smaller resorts perhaps not investing in scanning or RFID, but for any major resort there really is no good excuse to not be able to do that.

chuckstah

I remember Killington doing this a number of years ago. We were tailgating in the lot when they came along counting. In addition, they were recording what state each car was from for marketing purposes. Seems so archaic in this day and age, but I guess that was all they had to work with at the time. Times have certainly changed.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

If there is no concrete scanning policy (manual or RFID) then the number is just an educated guess, and one area's metrics differs from the next.

At Whaleback we took the # of tickets sold per day, an educated guess on # of passholders per day, # of school group children per day, # of racers per day, etc to comprise annual skier visits.

abc

For statistical analysis, you don't need to get the exact number to have meaningful results. In fact, small fluctuation ARE ignored to see the trend.

"Educated guess". You'll be surprised at how accurate those guesses could be. It does depend on how "educated" the guesser is though.