2018/19 Skier visits - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    So, me being entered in the local, cheap skiing program went on change the leisure direction of my entire family.

Pretty cool
    That was a pretty damn cool story!

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Before my brother and I we're around, my dad had actually been on ski patrol at the original Crotched (The East side area which has never reopened). He gave that up and DH skiing when he met and married my mom (should would not DH ski and never has). We discovered dad's old gear in the basement and when I was 12, we finally convinced my parents to have dad take us and teach us. We got hooked, dad kept skiing for another decade or so with us and then gave it up again.
    Nice...a bit similar to me, although my dad was never on ski patrol anywhere. He did ski up until he met and married my mom. When I was about 14 or so my parents bought a vacation house in the Poconos near a small ski area. Myself, my brother, and my sister all started taking lessons and skiing there and my dad got back into it too at that point. He still skis with me although not as much as 5-10 years ago and his Dr makes him stick to groomers now.

This conversation is now off the OP but....

I also was the first in my family at 16 with Jay Peak as my feeder hill - even made snow there for a year at 19. I got my two younger brothers into it years later when they were 8 and 13ish. My two sisters did not start unll they were in their thirties after seeing our family ski week after week. My ex wife skied about 5 times and never did it again while my now wife did not start skiing until 32 and now skies with me 50 + days per season. As a family we started going maybe 10 days per season while our boys were little. Eventually we got in 30 days per season and for the past 5 seasons have consistently got 50 days or more. Note that 3 of our boys have been on their own for that time. Spring sports always got in the way and none of our boys played winter sports. So it was all acheiveable to hit 30 but 50 days is now easier. Our kids now in their twenties except for our youngest still ski or snowboard but they are the average 6-10 days if they feel like it sometimes less.

One of my sisters has kids who are in baseball year round and their skiing has died and the other sister well her kids have grown up and they have stopped. One of my brothers no longer skis and the other brother still gets out there with is daughter but his wife gave it up.

That is the likely story for the industry. It is a roller coaster of a business. While some fade away others jump on. Then there are those who are consistent.

We were bargin hunters and did not buy season passes until three of our boys were on there own. Season passes ultimately got us skiing more. Buying season passes for 6 is not cheap. Spreading $'s through a season was easier.

Social media has be pivitol in getting people to try different things. Seeing friends and family skiing on Facebook has probably helped the sport at least for trying it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    If you're talking getting non ski before kids, with non skiing parents into the sport, the reality is the easiest way is if the kids school has an after school weekly ski program.
    That's how I started as someone without a skier in my family. My friends joined ski club, and it sounded like fun, so I asked my Mom if I could do it and the rest is history. Those public school ski club deals were an unreal bargain. I cant recall the precise sum, but I do recall a beginner lift ticket, boot/ski rentals, and 1.5 hour lesson each week was crazy cheap. This was at a little Pocono hill.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Like it or not, being able to post a selfie to one's instagram page while on the hill with friends is an important thing to a sizable market of young potential skiers/riders these days
    I really hope the, "I am the most important thing on this planet" mentality swiftly dies after that generation.
    I'm optimistic that it will.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

It seems the affordable skiing dream has been and continues to be a way lots of folks learn to ski, including plenty here.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    I really hope the, "I am the most important thing on this planet" mentality swiftly dies after that generation.
    I'm optimistic that it will.
    Doubtful.

On an instinctual level, literally every lifeform is going to look out for itself. Good luck eliminating human nature.

Besides this is nothing new. Gen X was full of woe is me kids. The boomers always have and will continue to consider themselves the best thing since sliced bread. The generation before that literally called themselves "the greatest". If that isn't self centered, I don't know what is.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post

Besides this is nothing new. Gen X was full of woe is me kids. The boomers always have and will continue to consider themselves the best thing since sliced bread. The generation before that literally called themselves "the greatest". If that isn't self centered, I don't know what is.
    Bullshit. That generation lived through the great depression and then quietly went to war and ended WWII. When they
    came home they quietly went back to work and literally built the middle class. If they had suffered what is now
    known as PTSD , they suffered that quietly and without making a stink about it. Sure, holding stuff inside may have
    resulted in other issues relating to self destructive behaviors, and perhaps their families paid a price for their
    stoical pride, but they never touted their own horn. The term "Greatest Generation" was only recently coined by Tom Brokaw, the
    title of his book about that generation; they never called themselves that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
    Bullshit. That generation lived through the great depression and then quietly went to war and ended WWII. When they
    came home they quietly went back to work and literally built the middle class. If they had suffered what is now
    known as PTSD , they suffered that quietly and without making a stink about it. Sure, holding stuff inside may have
    resulted in other issues relating to self destructive behaviors, and perhaps their families paid a price for their
    stoical pride, but they never touted their own horn. The term "Greatest Generation" was only recently coined by Tom Brokaw, the
    title of his book about that generation; they never called themselves that.
    A lot of them also ignored their boomer kids, who naturally overcompensated and gave every millennial a trophy.

The point is this is the same old story. Old guy thinks kids today are soft.

Im pretty sure some caveman was like well whatever kid, that wheel is just you being lazy but I invented fire.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    A lot of them also ignored their boomer kids, who naturally overcompensated and gave every millennial a trophy.

The point is this is the same old story. Old guy thinks kids today are soft.

I’m pretty sure some caveman was like well whatever kid, that wheel is just you being lazy but I invented fire.
    I'm with scruffy. Being 52 and a Gen Xer and looking at all the different generations, there is no question that my Father's generation, and his father judging by the stories, was without question much stronger and more giving than any following generation. The public norms, etiquettes, work ethics and selfless giving to friends and family has all but gone from our culture for the most part. Anybody that thinks otherwise is basically ignoring what is transpiring right in front of them. Actually, anybody that is 30 or under may not have experienced those people and only have their parents to go by. I firmly put the blame on where the cultural shift went and the poisoning of the current young generation on parents my age. With 22 nieces and nephews to go by plus double that in cousins, I can firmly say that what is perceived by people under 30 for being acceptable behavior for work ethic and what is owed to them has certainly changed dramatically. I was taught by my father that NOTHING is owed to me and you had to work really hard with long hours to get ahead. Also you always helped people in need weather you donate or pitch in a hand. That is certainly not the norm today. Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I'm with scruffy. Being 52 and a Gen Xer and looking at all the different generations, there is no question that my Father's generation, and his father judging by the stories, was without question much stronger and more giving than any following generation. The public norms, etiquettes, work ethics and selfless giving to friends and family has all but gone from our culture for the most part. Anybody that thinks otherwise is basically ignoring what is transpiring right in front of them. Actually, anybody that is 30 or under may not have experienced those people and only have their parents to go by. I firmly put the blame on where the cultural shift went and the poisoning of the current young generation on parents my age. With 22 nieces and nephews to go by plus double that in cousins, I can firmly say that what is perceived by people under 30 for being acceptable behavior for work ethic and what is owed to them has certainly changed dramatically. I was taught by my father that NOTHING is owed to me and you had to work really hard with long hours to get ahead. Also you always helped people in need weather you donate or pitch in a hand. That is certainly not the norm today. Fact.
    So you think kids are lazy these days? Thanks for illustrating my point.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Look I don't know what you do or where you come from. But In a general sense I don't think, I know. I hire and manage tons of them. Yes it is a generalization but the percentages of "lazy" or as they call it now, unmotivated young workers is on the rise. This is discussed in most upper level discussion groups or management seminars. Also no one today wants to work 40 hours a week or god forbid Saturdays. It was common 20 years ago that most people worked at least 50 and a large percentage worked more. It was expected. This whole Quality of life balance thing only took place over the last 10 years or so. So I guess my generalization is more accurate than yours lets say.

Time has changed (and has always been changing all along)

Calling the youngsters "lazy" is itself a sign of entitlement.

I grew up in a 3rd world country. The hardship people endure over there would be unthinkable for even your grandfather! Does that mean YOU and your father are lazy? Noooo!

Why do I say that? Because this country is so rich ONLY PARTLY because your father and grandfather work hard. A really BIG part of the success was they work SMART!

I'm not just talking about technology here. But also systems and environment they work in that allows innovation to flourish.

Yeah, right, all the safety protection had made us "soft". But you want to go back to the "hard old days"? Be my guest. How many straight skis do you still have?

Thread Information