2018/19 Skier visits - Page 12

AlpineZone

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    How do ski areas that don't scan tickets/passes guess how many days a season pass holder skis?
    There were a few years during which Boyne didn’t appear to scan at all. I found it puzzling.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    There were a few years during which Boyne didn’t appear to scan at all. I found it puzzling.
    Loon still scan quite a bit and SL may but SR gave up on scanning years ago. No idea how they get an accurate Passholder skier day count. Has to be an educated guess. As a side note, they need to do something different next season at SR with Ikon and day skiers. The ticket lines the first weekend of April were absolutely ridiculous and many in line were Ikon passholders. Can't imagine the lines were much better any other weekend/peak day.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

How do ski areas that don't scan tickets/passes guess how many days a season pass holder skis?
    By counting cars.

Quote Originally Posted by crystalmountainskier View Post
    By counting cars.
    So they take an average of skiers per car? that's accurate? It's all a scam and a useless made up number pulled out of some ones ass.

2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

So they take an average of skiers per car? that's accurate? It's all a scam and a useless made up number pulled out of some ones ass.
    I agree. That method doesn't make a lot of sense. Also wouldn't account for people that live slopeside and can ski to the lifts or people that take some sort of shuttle.

I've often questioned the accuracy of our "historical" skier visit data very much due to the inability to accurately count season pass-holders and it being mostly just a guesstimate in the past. At least today we have technology that "should" allow resorts to accurately report numbers. I can understand smaller resorts perhaps not investing in scanning or RFID, but for any major resort there really is no good excuse to not be able to do that.

I remember Killington doing this a number of years ago. We were tailgating in the lot when they came along counting. In addition, they were recording what state each car was from for marketing purposes. Seems so archaic in this day and age, but I guess that was all they had to work with at the time. Times have certainly changed.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

If there is no concrete scanning policy (manual or RFID) then the number is just an educated guess, and one area's metrics differs from the next.

At Whaleback we took the # of tickets sold per day, an educated guess on # of passholders per day, # of school group children per day, # of racers per day, etc to comprise annual skier visits.

For statistical analysis, you don't need to get the exact number to have meaningful results. In fact, small fluctuation ARE ignored to see the trend.

"Educated guess". You'll be surprised at how accurate those guesses could be. It does depend on how "educated" the guesser is though.

Vt reported 4,178,533 skier visits.

The article says "I'm happy to report we cracked the 4 million skiers visits number this season". I guess this is a record?

https://vtskiandride.com/a-record-sk...n-for-vermont/
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Thread Information