• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A "SMART" Ski Lift: The Future of Ski Lifts?

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

BenedictGomez

I might suggest a little hunting trip to release some of that pent up anger.
https://mtwashingtonautoroad.com/events/bicknells-thrush-tours

Once Jay Peak is sold to an entity with cash in its' pockets, BTES may be needed. I'm pretty sure the prior successful excuse to stop it was stormwater runoff that would take several years to clear, but those years have since passed. So the eco-extremists will need a bogus excuse this time and it will have to be either claiming the streams need more years of recovery than prior thought, or revive the silly bird excuse.

BenedictGomez

So I think it is first to connect wins.

This genuinely sounds like one of the worst ski-related ideas I've heard in eons.

Shows up at the mountain for nature, peace, and tranquility, gets subjected to 14 minutes of a fifteen year olds gangster rap selection.

thetrailboss

Staff member
This genuinely sounds like one of the worst ski-related ideas I've heard in eons.

Shows up at the mountain for nature, peace, and tranquility, gets subjected to 14 minutes of a fifteen year olds gangster rap selection.

The folks I rode with were considerate. But it was a Sunday in April and the traffic was light. I imagine that there are few rap listeners who ski/ride Ajax.

Glenn

See "Bluetooth Speakers and Backpacks".

AdironRider

You guys aren't Thoreau retreating to the wilderness when you go skiing and ride a gondola and surround yourself in a manmade version of nature.

People are going to listen to music from time to time. I see this as really not that different than background music in a lodge/elevator or the like ultimately.

abc

People are going to listen to music from time to time. I see this as really not that different than background music in a lodge/elevator or the like ultimately.
I never get people who listen to music while skiing or hiking. Nor do I care for the "background music" in elevator or lodge either. I felt it's more or less a waste of air wave. (I'm just not one for "background music". I either listen to it, or wants silence, nothing in the "background")

That said, as long as they keep the volume low enough without forcing me to listen to it, I don't have a problem.

Gondola music? If others are forced to listen, that could be a problem. Though somehow I doubt that's the plan.

raisingarizona

During my first season in Jackson a buddy of mine decided to turn the horn on the bucking bronc logo into a penis and drew in a gal riding it with a sharpie. He later found out that the terminals have cameras and they figured out he did it. I think they called the sheriff if I remember correctly.

The next season the horns were removed form their logo.

jaytrem

During my first season in Jackson a buddy of mine decided to turn the horn on the bucking bronc logo into a penis and drew in a gal riding it with a sharpie. He later found out that the terminals have cameras and they figured out he did it. I think they called the sheriff if I remember correctly.

The next season the horns were removed form their logo.

Hmmm, something seems off there. Wouldn't a bucking bronco with a horn be a bucking unicorn?

Glenn

Exactly. That phenomenon is annoying. As is the guy I saw last year with his RC Truck on a hike. :roll:

It's spreading as well. People still use headphones, but others see the need to broadcast music. I walk at lunch and I've see and hear the bluetooth speaker users out there.

Domeskier

I wonder how big the market is for bluetooth speaker-equipped RC cars and trucks.

BenedictGomez

See "Bluetooth Speakers and Backpacks".

It's spreading as well. People still use headphones, but others see the need to broadcast music.

Ahhh yes, a part of the phenomena known as entitlement, with a dash of "look at me" syndrome.

It's not like this couldn't have been done 20 years ago with small portable speakers; it's just that people didn't.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I beg to differ. Things really haven't changed. In the 80s having a bad ass Boom Box or Ghetto Blaster was a point of pride for young people. I specifically remember "Field Day" in my elementary school. It was the one day a year all the kids were allowed to bring their Boom Box to school. I recall blasting Van Halen 1984

My older brother was in High School at the time and I remember that age group would always meet up in a local strip mall parking lot, park their cars side by side and have a Boom Box sitting on the roof of a car (often an Iroc or Monte Carlo) blaring music until the local PD would show up and shoo them away.

Now I don't remember Boom boxes on the ski hill, but Walkmans for sure.

Probably my most common stocking stuffer as a kid were batteries and blank cassette tapes.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

I agree, but I think it's due more to a change in technology than a change in people.

You might be right. Carrying a Boom Box while skiing certainly would be a bit problematic. Meanwhile a bluetooth speaker requires virtually no effort to carry while skiing.