• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Grand Finale

Zand

Who's heading out for one more day this weekend? I've always said that once there's breaks in the snow and walking required, that's it for my season, but with one caveat. I'd do it to ski on my birthday, and for the first time since 1997 Killington will be open on my birthday so I'll be there Sunday. Looks like it should still be decent by then, but I'm kind of afraid a large crowd Saturday will trash a lot of the thinner spots. We'll see I guess. If it requires climbing down the headwall and walking between patches, then I'll probably quit after a few runs, but I'm optimistic it'll still be in okay shape.

chuckstah

I'll be there for a few laps tomorrow, and hopefully maybe 60th chair on Saturday for another handful.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I wouldn't expect crowds to be horrific on Saturday if there's hiking involved...not because people are dissuaded to ski but because people are more spread out as laps take longer. For simplicity figure 5 minutes up the quad and 5 minutes down with an uninterrupted slope. To walk-off the lift, hike down the headwall, click-in, then click out and hike a few more feet at the bottom takes at least another 5 minutes. Boom. Instant 33% capacity increase without longer liftlines or adding more people to the slope.

Hawk

Based on the forecast, Saturday Morning will be OK and definitely better than Sunday. With rain in the forecast I doubt there will be the usual crowds. I was toying with the idea but might stay south and get in a good Mtb ride with the crew. It is supposed to be sunny and 75 all day in the Boston area.

Zand

Safe to say they groomed the crap out of it. Hope they didn't thin it out so much that we lose half of it before Sunday.

machski

Here today, they did groom it, almost the whole thing. Pretty good but definitely some thinning areas with rock/dirt already coming through. Tomorrow early should be good with ski on-off and continuous coverage. Sunday, if they get the storms forecast for second half of tomorrow, probably not so much. I would expect to be walk on/off and probably a bit off the top walking too. If wet wx doesn't materialize, Sunday may be continuous too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jcb890

Looking at the webcam, they groomed like crazy and probably will again tonight. Looks to me like headwall should easily hold up through tomorrow. Sunday might be questionable depending on what weather hits.
I'm shooting for 1st chair tomorrow. Someone is hooking me up with a pass and they may not arrive until 8.

I'm guessing even with the shitty weather/threat of rain lunch time it will be packed tomorrow.
Hopefully I'll be tired by then after some good AM laps.

machski

The biggest problem spot will be the top lip. Looked pretty solid this morning but it's already worn through. Still manageable today but that's with a light crowd, cool temps and only filtered sunlight. The picture doesn't really do it justice. Skiers left is definitely better than skiers right.IMG_20190531_125154.jpg

Zand

Is there any depth left to the former stockpile at the top? Last Monday you still had to climb a couple feet before heading downhill. Not sure if they flattened the rest of that out this morning or not but that would be the difference between having something to slide on by Sunday or having to climb down.

Cornhead

Great day at K! Top, and middle thin spot, held up pretty good. Top was pretty bony by noon. I skied from opening til one, 15 runs, pretty happy with that, I think that's probably it for me. Nice to finally get some decent weather to ski in my last couple trips. It's been a weird Spring.IMG_20190531_124618402.jpgIMG_20190531_124614667.jpgIMG_20190531_095843668.jpgIMG_20190531_102118957_02.jpgIMG_20190531_095351703.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

chuckstah

Is there any depth left to the former stockpile at the top? Last Monday you still had to climb a couple feet before heading downhill. Not sure if they flattened the rest of that out this morning or not but that would be the difference between having something to slide on by Sunday or having to climb down.
There's a tiny bit left to push down, but seems to be more around that can be pushed up. I'd think tomorrow will be good. Sunday, maybe an afterthought, especially if it rains. Here now, and it's held up good. Top is shot but skiable on the left with rock skis or rock dodging. Screenshot_20190531-155313.jpg

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Yeah, there is basically no hill left to climb. They did a good job with the on and off ramps from the lift, those will hold up well. But at the top, making the off ramp cost them material they could have kept for the lip. There is snow to pull up, question will be if it will firm up enough to allow for the winch cats to move it without too much difficulty. There is also a rapidly thinning spot at the bottom of the top pitch where Launch Pad cuts across (due to the berm from the actual road there), though they can pull snow up from lower to cover that.

Zand

Wish Sunday wasn't my b-day, I really didn't want to let it rot for 2 days before I got to ski it but I want that day lol. But as far as east goes it will be one of a very few chances to ski that day.

Cornhead

Ha, so glad I blew off work to hit it yesterday. The headwall will probably be gone before the last of the line gets to the top.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app