FIS Woman's world cup a Killington - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Has been top to bottom all the years. its great to pull up on Bunny Buster and watch some fast chick ski down. Its easy to remove skis and enter the venue. Its a fantastic time and my family loves it

Been there for all three World Cups. Last year was the best, but it was packed. Crazy packed. I gave up on trying to get a beer at one point because the lines were ridiculous. Heard a bunch of geniuses after the first year saying that attendance will drop as people become jaded to the event. This thing just keeps getting bigger and better. Killington throws a pretty damn good party. Go if you can.

If I may offer a dissenting opinion, I am not crazy about the boilerplate that they lay down for the race. This is what you get to ski on in May and it's not a great surface. So it's OK with me if Kmart stops hosting the race.

Quote Originally Posted by p_levert View Post
    If I may offer a dissenting opinion, I am not crazy about the boilerplate that they lay down for the race. This is what you get to ski on in May and it's not a great surface. So it's OK with me if Kmart stops hosting the race.
    Given the absolute success that the races have been in the eyes of the FIS, the USSSA, Killington and the VT and Northeast ski racing community, my hunch is that until attendance numbers fall off dramatically (and with Mikaela Shiffrin with still probably another 10 years or so of racing in her career baring injury that may not happen anytime soon), even once Aspen gets its facilities in line with what the FIS wants, my guess is that Killington has those races as long as they want them.

One has to remember that on the women's worldcup circuit, the crowds that have shown up at Killington, short of maybe the women's "Snow Queen" night slalom race in Schlaming, Austria, are the largest they get anywhere. The Killington worldcup races have qucikly become a major event on the women's world cup tour, and I;m guessing have far exceeded rapidly even the grandest of successful dreams that all parties involved with putting it on and sanctioning the event could have hoped for in such a short time. So that late season, world cup base that has graced Superstar the last few years, is likely to continue beyond the next 2 seasons the current contract is for IMHO
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17 (Mount Snow)

Quote Originally Posted by p_levert View Post
    I didn't ski there after Mother's Day weekend this year, but the surface was fine up to that point. Maybe it wasn't down to the boilerplate yet. Does it not bump up as well or something? From the videos I saw from the last few weeks of this season, that didn't look like an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    I didn't ski there after Mother's Day weekend this year, but the surface was fine up to that point. Maybe it wasn't down to the boilerplate yet. Does it not bump up as well or something? From the videos I saw from the last few weeks of this season, that didn't look like an issue.
    It wasn't and it was always boiler plate on some days, especially Preston's in many years prior to WC on SS. Just a natural result of 30+ feet of snow compressing all season on itself.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

I've been skiing K for a long time and don't really notice much of a difference on supe late May since the WC, they do groom it every night now which sucks but that's been going on for like 10 years.

I think the wet base they blow for world cup does play some factor into the sloppy yellow snow on Supe late season, but I also think that's more to do with the crappy low-e guns that blow water and the fact that the trail gets groomed every. Single. Day.

The videos from the late 90s in May on Superstar are great to watch with perfect mogul fields. But with ski technology, snowmaking, and grooming all having undergone so many MAJOR changes it's really a different sport today compared to then, and it's hard to pinpoint why things are different these days.
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

The largest factor in base conditions for the remainder of the winter, bar none is when the surface is groomed. When snow has not had ample time to leach and it is groomed, it is boiler for the remainder of the year. This is from personal experience making and grooming it.

When you see them winching SS in November with the guns still on, you have your answer.
    Last edited by Newpylong; Aug 23, 2019 at 8:26 AM.

There's been discernable variations pre and post World Cup, but the bigger base influences clearly are

1) Total build height. Snow on hill.
    2) Weather.
    3) Grooming, as mentioned.
    4) Traffic types.

Post April 15, you see a different Superstar pattern emerging. Skier's right (Until 2nd rollover), least bumps, lots more scraping. Middle well spaced slash crash bumps, noticeable hardpack/ice between bumps. Skier's left tighter bumper's lines, frequently left ungroomed, deeper carved troughs. Skier's right below tower 5 big cliffy whalebacks.

Pre April 15 you have Skier's right groomed plateau, Middle tilted slick pool table, mid Skier's left ski the spine and mounds, far left powder hollow extreme compound fall line.

Thread Information