Like we've been saying about Gore.... - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 88
  1. #41
    machski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northwood, NH (Sunday River, ME)
    Posts
    1,513
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec142 View Post
    Thanks for this info.

    FWIW, I define SoVT as Mount Snow, Stratton, Bromley, and Okemo (may be missing some hills). From a terrain perspective, I think Gore is better than any of these mountains.



    The interesting thing about Gore and Whiteface is they seem to exist in their own little micro-climate. When it's cold, it seems to be a few degrees colder at Gore/Whiteface than it is at the mountains in VT. I could be totally making this up, but that's the way it feels to me.
    Probably just you, especially if you can actually tell the difference between just a few degrees.

    Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec142 View Post
    FWIW, I define SoVT as Mount Snow, Stratton, Bromley, and Okemo (may be missing some hills). From a terrain perspective, I think Gore is better than any of these mountains.
    I'd agree with this. They have some great terrain. Perhaps I lucked out, but conditions were always pretty good as well whenever I was there (certainly at least on par with what I experienced in SoVT, if not better).

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Amenity can either be provided by the mountain ("resort"). Or developed organically, away from the mountain.

    Gore is too far as a day trip for the downstate population. The lack of "amenity" means they can't or won't stay overnight. Instead they go all the way to WF -- more amenity. Or SVT which has with better snow, comparable terrain and similar in driving time(also more amenity)

    The lack of the latter is directly related to the lack of patrons.
    While Gore has had more infrastructure (lifts) in the last decade or two, Whiteface (or more accurately Lake Placid) has had more all around investment for many decades before that. Also, the views from Lake Placid and the high peaks attract more visitors year round.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I'd agree with this. They have some great terrain. Perhaps I lucked out, but conditions were always pretty good as well whenever I was there (certainly at least on par with what I experienced in SoVT, if not better).
    I would define it that way too. Some people look at Northern and So VT, and some add in Central. I'd call Killington Central VT, but if I had to choose between north and south, I'd probably put it south.

    Killington 250 inches
    Mount Snow 200 inches
    Gore 150 inches in a good year, more like 125 on average over the last 10.

    FWIW Gore's trees have been kept pretty clean historically and have been skiable with about 40 inches.

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley
    Posts
    3,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Whiteface (or more accurately Lake Placid) has had more all around investment for many decades before that. Also, the views from Lake Placid and the high peaks attract more visitors year round.
    Count me as one of those visitors to Lake Placid.

    It’s a bit of chicken and egg problem. The southern ADK has quite a bit of hiking too. But again, the lack of amenities leaves visitors to the north (or stopped at Lake George).

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    It’s a bit of chicken and egg problem. The southern ADK has quite a bit of hiking too. But again, the lack of amenities leaves visitors to the north (or stopped at Lake George).
    One thing that keeps me out of the mainstream... I don't consider it a problem.

    Most people would rather climb the high peaks than spend time in the south. The 46ers give lip service to spreading out usage in the park, and they wring their hands about overuse and degradation but they remain singularly focused on that small part of the park. ADK is the same way. To many "Adirondacks" is synonymous with Lake Placid and the High Peaks.

    Every ski area doesn't have to strive to meet the same ideal.

  7. #47
    Scruffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    In the shadow of the moon.
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    One thing that keeps me out of the mainstream... I don't consider it a problem.

    Most people would rather climb the high peaks than spend time in the south. The 46ers give lip service to spreading out usage in the park, and they wring their hands about overuse and degradation but they remain singularly focused on that small part of the park. ADK is the same way. To many "Adirondacks" is synonymous with Lake Placid and the High Peaks.

    Every ski area doesn't have to strive to meet the same ideal.
    Agree 100%.

  8. #48
    Scruffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    In the shadow of the moon.
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec142 View Post
    Thanks for this info.

    FWIW, I define SoVT as Mount Snow, Stratton, Bromley, and Okemo (may be missing some hills). From a terrain perspective, I think Gore is better than any of these mountains.

    The interesting thing about Gore and Whiteface is they seem to exist in their own little micro-climate. When it's cold, it seems to be a few degrees colder at Gore/Whiteface than it is at the mountains in VT. I could be totally making this up, but that's the way it feels to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Probably just you, especially if you can actually tell the difference between just a few degrees.

    Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app
    No, it's not his imagination. North Creek and the surrounding area is a "cold spot". I've spent many a winter morning in the area where it was way < -0F and 50 miles away was way above 0F. It's one of the first places in NY to freeze in the autumn. Vermont is a sauna compared to North Creek, NY.

  9. #49
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
    Agree 100%.
    +1 love flying under the radar

  10. #50
    We have a forum member over at NYSB who has pretty specific ideas about what a ski area should be. Groomed and high speed mostly. He's advocated for the straightening and widening of Lower Steilhang, one of the remaining old school trails at Gore.

    I just don't get it. Gore has 105 trails on the map and 4 or 5 of them are old school. Why do those 5 trails have to be made to be like the 100 others? Does Vermont become a better place to ski if Magic strives to become Okemo? Should Plattekill be more like Windham?

    Jim I think you said hi to me once at Plattekill? We should ski together.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:09 PM.