• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Like we've been saying about Gore....

deadheadskier

Staff member
I used to feel the same about my tax dollars going to Cannon. Then they went way overboard with Mittersill. Now I wish they did nothing over there at all. I mean it's still very fun and much better than most McSkiarea terrain, but it was better when it was strictly side country.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

I do find it funny how many NJ skiers fret about NYS spending public funds on ski areas. I pay NYS taxes and frankly feel these ski area expenditures are the best return I'll ever get.

Hope that wasn't directed at me, because if I was in NY, I'd agree with your stance. I'd much rather see my tax dollars going towards ski areas like the 3 NYS ones than some of the other crap they waste money on. My only "argument" is that a major reason a place like Gore can survive as is, is because it is publicly subsidized. I don't have a problem with it being publicly owned, more-so just pointing out that as is, it wouldn't be viable as a private resort in all likelihood. If they can figure out a way to make it profitable, that would be even better for NYS residents.

JimG.

Staff member
Hope that wasn't directed at me, because if I was in NY, I'd agree with your stance. I'd much rather see my tax dollars going towards ski areas like the 3 NYS ones than some of the other crap they waste money on. My only "argument" is that a major reason a place like Gore can survive as is, is because it is publicly subsidized. I don't have a problem with it being publicly owned, more-so just pointing out that as is, it wouldn't be viable as a private resort in all likelihood. If they can figure out a way to make it profitable, that would be even better for NYS residents.

It was not. Just a general observation. Frankly, anyone paying taxes in NY or NJ has a right to complain.

As to what is better for NYS residents remains open to interpretation and personal preferences.

I have no issues with cutting more blue terrain but maybe they could try to minimize the tree skiing damage. You know, keep it a win win.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
X and I go way back I consider him one of my good friends. But we agree to disagree on this topic.

He's right of course, that the state could spend more to market their ski areas and it would probably drive more visits. From a business POV they probably should.

I'm just saying what I like.

Time marches on and I'll take the improvements as they come. But I really enjoy Gore the way it is and feel no strong urge to bitch about how "backward" Gore is.

FWIW Gore has a ton of blue terrain. The east side is awesome. Putting in the new trail on Burnt will improve the experience for blue skiers further, and bum me out a little bit.

mbedle

After reading the two amendments for the Unit Management Plan submitted in 2018, it sure seems like they are pushing really hard to get the ski bowl development moving forward.

Scruffy

So far, the only way I found it works is by hitting Gore on my way north (to either WF or Killington/Pico), without stopping in the area for the night.

Unless I have you mixed up with someone else, I believe you XC ski as well as Alpine? If so, try skiing, and staying, at Garnet Hill sometime. Ski Garnet one day and then Gore.

abc

Unless I have you mixed up with someone else, I believe you XC ski as well as Alpine? If so, try skiing, and staying, at Garnet Hill sometime. Ski Garnet one day and then Gore.
I do xc ski quite a bit. Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to remember that.

But I have also have pretty good options near home at the Gunks ( when they have snow).

I’m not knocking Gore as a mountain. It’s just...if I’m doing an overnighter, I tend to go further north to central or northern Vermont.