Like we've been saying about Gore.... - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    My favorite ski areas all have no on mountain lodging (Wildcat, Cannon, Mad River Glen, A-basin and Loveland) All have lodging within a half hour as does Gore. Is staying a little over a half hour away such a hassle? Better than driving from 3 hours away.
    MRG is in the middle of a cluster of mountains (Stowe, Sugarbush, Bolton)
    Wildcat's base, North Conway is also a base for a bunch of other mountains.
    A-basin & Loveland the same.

They "feed off" families who may go to those other mountains mixing and matching. Or families who grow into advance level in search of terrain.

Cannon a little less so. But still, one can get to it from Lincoln, "paired" with Loon.

What other mountains can you mix and match with Gore?

The lack on on-mountain lodging can be offset by abundant lodging in neighboring mountains and towns. Gore doesn't have that to take advantage of. I've done the stay-in-Lake-George way. But while LG is buzzing in the summer and has tons of lodging, many of them close entirely in the winter. So the lodging choice is actually not that great.

So far, the only way I found it works is by hitting Gore on my way north (to either WF or Killington/Pico), without stopping in the area for the night.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Thatís one way of looking at it.

To believe people who donít come to North Creek because they were too busy chasing big name peaks. When the real reason they donít come is because they canít find a room to sleep or a place that serves decent food.

One effective way to discourage tourism is not to provide service, ON PURPOSE.

That said, not every place needs tourist, especially places where the locals are sustaining the economy well.
    The locals in North Creek are not sustaining the economy. That was the purpose of the Gore expansion over the last 20 years - to financially help North Creek and the surrounding area.

Gore is still seeing about the same number of visitors/ski season it saw when it was half the size it is now. ORDA refuses to advertise Gore in the NYC metro area while it does advertise Lake Placid/WF. Gore is less than 3.5 hours from much of the northern and western suburbs of NYC. I get to Gore from north NJ in 3:10. Gore has almost 50% more terrain than WF, better terrain for green and blue skiers, warmer, less windy weather than WF, and is much closer and easier to get to vs WF. Gore also has virtually unlimited water from the Hudson River. Yet, ORDA does not promote Gore. They do not want to lose Lake Placid visits to North Creek.

I think you are misremembering how close Cannon is to Lincoln. It's less than 15 minutes.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Burnt at Gore will change and that trail will get put in. Many (not me but many) dislike the traverses between Gore's 4 peaks. By adding that new trail it will make it easier for non-tree skiers to go from Burnt Ridge to Little Gore. I could care less about traversing. I'm a nordic skier on free heels and I like it. How many of those people whining about the traverses have gym memberships? The area has deep nordic roots and there are a ton of teleskiers on the hill. The traverse to Burnt or where ever is part of our day. My buddy Duck, one time on a lark went from the summit of Gore all the way to bottom of little Gore, in something like 15 minutes, basically hitting almost every traverse. Granted he was going as fast as he could, but really it is not that bad. IMO.

It is tough to get across from NH. Riverc0il came to ski with me once, we did one day at Gore and one at Whiteface. Conditions were prime and we got into the slides so I think it was worth it for him.

I've been to NH once. Conditions were thin, but I loved Wildcat and Mittersill the most.
    I like the traverses for the very reason most hate them...you have to make an effort to access the good stuff. Same reason I'll sit on that slow ass North Creek triple to ski 46er.

Same reason I'll bushwack 2-3 miles downstream on a trout stream before I start casting.

That proposed trail at Burnt will be a scar in those great tree areas.

MRG is in the middle of a cluster of mountains (Stowe, Sugarbush, Bolton)
    Wildcat's base, North Conway is also a base for a bunch of other mountains.
    A-basin & Loveland the same.

The lack on on-mountain lodging can be offset by abundant lodging in neighboring mountains and towns. Gore doesn't have that to take advantage of. I've done the stay-in-Lake-George way. But while LG is buzzing in the summer and has tons of lodging, many of them close entirely in the winter. So the lodging choice is actually not that great.

So far, the only way I found it works is by hitting Gore on my way north (to either WF or Killington/Pico), without stopping in the area for the night.
    Yeah, I got lucky and booked a nice place in North Creek, but did it about six months in advance. The town itself is really quiet with not too much to do. Still, I managed to find a great restaurant right in town. North Creek didn't really feel like a ski town so I see your point.

This is what I do virtually every time I ski Gore. I ski Gore on a Friday or a Saturday, drive to Lake Placid for lodging, and then ski Whiteface the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by x10003q View Post
    ORDA does not promote Gore. They do not want to lose Lake Placid visits to North Creek.
    You really think it's this calculating? I agree with your analysis 100%, but I always just assumed it was typical government incompetence. ORDA is a trainwreck. Were Whiteface privately owned, it could be one of the most successful ski areas in the east.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    I like the traverses for the very reason most hate them...you have to make an effort to access the good stuff. Same reason I'll sit on that slow ass North Creek triple to ski 46er.

Same reason I'll bushwack 2-3 miles downstream on a trout stream before I start casting.

That proposed trail at Burnt will be a scar in those great tree areas.
    NYS public dollars funded Burnt Ridge HSQ (6000ft long/1432vert) in 2008 and it should serve more than a small subset of skiers. Adding another trail or 2 on Burnt Ridge would allow more people to use a wonderful lift. Gore is not a private area where ownership can decide to make a 'glade' pod like Burnt Ridge.

The real issue with Burnt Ridge is the low elevation. Without snowmaking, this area only opens well into the season. Having the lift serve basically 2 trails, Echo, a race trail and Sagamore (besides the connectors) is absurd. The terrain would easily support at least another low blue trail so more people can enjoy the pod.

Harvey linked to a trip report from 2015.
    http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Gore-Mountain-NY-2-2-15-Mid-Week-Pow-Magic-tp4054066.html
    If you read the trip report from Feb 2, 2015, you will notice that this was Harvey's first trip of the season into the Burnt Ridge Glades. How is it a Gore regular like Harvey has not visited Burnt Ridge glades until Feb 2nd? The answer of course is that, during many years, there is not enough natural snow for the glades to open. Gore also seems to have Burnt Ridge as a low priority snowmaking area. That means that for much of the early to mid season, there is an expensive HSQ not being used.
    Brilliant!!

There are plans to add a trail or 2 and the plans existed before the HSQ was installed in 2008. Here we are, 11 years later and the trails still don't exist. This is just par for the course at Gore.

For another instance of completely inefficient snowmaking & incompetently poor planning leading to a big waste of resources & a barely usable area, SEE: Lookout Mountain @ Whiteface (also New York State operated).
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    This is what I do virtually every time I ski Gore. I ski Gore on a Friday or a Saturday, drive to Lake Placid for lodging, and then ski Whiteface the next day.

You really think it's this calculating? I agree with your analysis 100%, but I always just assumed it was typical government incompetence. ORDA is a trainwreck. Were Whiteface privately owned, it could be one of the most successful ski areas in the east.
    I don't think it's all that calculating. Lake Placid already has a following, have the infrastructure. So any advertising will result in direct increase in visit.

Do the same advertising for Gore, it won't result in direct visitation increase due to the lack of comparable infrastructure. It takes a coordinated effort to improve both infrastructure AND advertising. That, maybe what the "train wreck" agency is incapable of.

Reality being, Gore is a good mountain in its own right. But it's by no means unique. Not like MRG.

I think its location is unfortunately its Achilles's heel. Gore is not big enough to act as an "anchor". Without other mountains to form a "cluster", it alone just won't cut it. That's my opinion.

Granted, probably the locals don't want any dramatic increase. A little more, but not a whole lot more...?

Quote Originally Posted by x10003q View Post
    NYS public dollars funded Burnt Ridge HSQ (6000ft long/1432vert) in 2008 and it should serve more than a small subset of skiers. Adding another trail or 2 on Burnt Ridge would allow more people to use a wonderful lift. Gore is not a private area where ownership can decide to make a 'glade' pod like Burnt Ridge.

The real issue with Burnt Ridge is the low elevation. Without snowmaking, this area only opens well into the season. Having the lift serve basically 2 trails, Echo, a race trail and Sagamore (besides the connectors) is absurd. The terrain would easily support at least another low blue trail so more people can enjoy the pod.

Harvey linked to a trip report from 2015.
    http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Gore-Mountain-NY-2-2-15-Mid-Week-Pow-Magic-tp4054066.html
    If you read the trip report from Feb 2, 2015, you will notice that this was Harvey's first trip of the season into the Burnt Ridge Glades. How is it a Gore regular like Harvey has not visited Burnt Ridge glades until Feb 2nd? The answer of course is that, during many years, there is not enough natural snow for the glades to open. Gore also seems to have Burnt Ridge as a low priority snowmaking area. That means that for much of the early to mid season, there is an expensive HSQ not being used.
    Brilliant!!

There are plans to add a trail or 2 and the plans existed before the HSQ was installed in 2008. Here we are, 11 years later and the trails still don't exist. This is just par for the course at Gore.
    Yeah Gore is best mid-Feb through March, although last season (which is not the norm) they had a great start and good November variety.

I admit I'm selfish regarding proposed BR trails and it sounds like maybe it will be a while before those trails actually exist. Perhaps similar to the proposed refurbishing of Highmount/Belleayre. Whatever the case I'll have to enjoy that area more now and it's a great motivator for me to get there more next season.

I do find it funny how many NJ skiers fret about NYS spending public funds on ski areas. I pay NYS taxes and frankly feel these ski area expenditures are the best return I'll ever get.

Thread Information