• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Like we've been saying about Gore....

2Planker

I think that's the 3rd time they posted that exact same article. See that here and there with Unofficial.

Well, I've skied 4 of the 5...

Red Mt was outstanding !
Schweitzer is pretty special too.
Bridger Bowl is great and has MANY exSR people working there.

Never been to Mt Rose.
Not a fan of Gore due to the crowd. Way too many Aholes.......

cdskier

I think that's the 3rd time they posted that exact same article. See that here and there with Unofficial.

All the trailmaps in the article are in a "2014/04" folder so it definitely seems they've been recycling it for a while.

GregoryIsaacs

I feel like Idaho (minus Sun Valley of course) has set itself up nicely to be a "final frontier" or "last stand" for those of us looking for a destination that is not overcrowded/sold out to the larger passes in the bottom 50 states.

Maybe its just me but I have found myself fantasizing that these places (Brundage, Schweitzer etc.) are what Colorado/Utah were like 20-30 years ago. anyone who's skied in ID wanna throw some more stoke?

machski

I feel like Idaho (minus Sun Valley of course) has set itself up nicely to be a "final frontier" or "last stand" for those of us looking for a destination that is not overcrowded/sold out to the larger passes in the bottom 50 states.

Maybe its just me but I have found myself fantasizing that these places (Brundage, Schweitzer etc.) are what Colorado/Utah were like 20-30 years ago. anyone who's skied in ID wanna throw some more stoke?
Put Silver in ID and Whitefish in MT on that list. All are relatively close for a quick strike too. Haven't been to Mt. Rose but have seen it from air and ground many times. I feel like that isn't as much a hidden Gem given you can stare right at it from downtown Reno!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

2Planker

Care to elaborate?

Lets see.

- Customer Service questioning how I received my Comps (30 year NSP Patroller).
- Smoking in the lift line.
- Tossing beverage cans off the lift.
- Patrons not willing to wait in line w/ everyone else... Cutting/ saving spots for people in lift lines.
- Pushy & obnoxious attitude(s) in Caf line.

- Parking lot entitlement from some gal "because I'm a season pass holder" - Yeah right, I'll give up my spot for you. :razz:

Kinda reminded me of Killington on a Holiday weekend....

No worries - Plenty of places to ski a lil further north...

Last edited:

zyk

In my experience if you know where to look when the woods are in play it's fantastic. If orda offered a midweek gore belleayre whiteface pass I would probably switch to that.

JimG.

Staff member
In my experience if you know where to look when the woods are in play it's fantastic. If orda offered a midweek gore belleayre whiteface pass I would probably switch to that.

I have the regular NYS 3 in 1. I don't get to Gore enough. I do Belleayre a lot because its very close but I have to get to Gore more. At least 5 days part of next season's goals no reason I should not do that.

skiur

Lets see.

- Patrons not willing to wait in line w/ everyone else... Cutting/ saving spots for people in lift lines.

- Parking lot entitlement from some gal "because I'm a season pass holder" - Yeah right, I'll give up my spot for you. :razz:

Sounds like every ski resort south of northern Vermont!

cdskier

Lets see.

Interesting...I never had any of those experiences, but I also haven't been there in probably 8 or 9 years now. Wonder if things have changed or if I was just lucky (or you unlucky). All of those things would bother me if I had experienced them.

mikec142

Lets see.

I usually get up to Gore 2x/season. One of my closest friend's family has a house nearby so I've been going since I was a little kid. I haven't experienced any of these things.

That said, unfortunately, tossing cans from the lift doesn't seem to be limited to Gore...I rarely see it happen, but have seen the results on the ground. Camelback is where I've seen it the most (by far).

I can't stand smoking...wherever it happens, so smoking in the liftline is bullshit to me. But there's always going to be the folks who believe that their right to smoke take precedence over your right to breathe clean air. Again, I rarely see it, but have a hard time believing that this is a specific problem to Gore.

Same goes with the parking and cafeteria lines...there are always entitled people in this world.

What I will say is that Gore's terrain compares very favorably to any of the Southern VT hills at a cheaper price.

The areas where I feel that Gore falls short have little to do with the mountain itself. Falls short in lodging, dining options, grocery stores, beer/wine selection, night life, things to do other than ski, etc. etc.

cdskier

The areas where I feel that Gore falls short have little to do with the mountain itself. Falls short in lodging, dining options, grocery stores, beer/wine selection, night life, things to do other than ski, etc. etc.

Yea, I love the mountain itself but couldn't commit to buying a vacation home in the area and making it my "home" mountain for those very reasons that you outlined.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
The lack of crowds and lack of amenities are directly correlated.

If Gore was "state of the art" like say Stratton, it would be more crowded.

I'm committed to Gore (own land in the area) in part because of how quiet it is, and the hundreds of thousands of acres of wilderness in the area, not in spite of it.

JimG.

Staff member
The lack of crowds and lack of amenities are directly correlated.

If Gore was "state of the art" like say Stratton, it would be more crowded.

I'm committed to Gore (own land in the area) in part because of how quiet it is, and the hundreds of thousands of acres of wilderness in the area, not in spite of it.

Lot's of great summer activities too great hiking and fishing.

Someone said there are no amenities but like you I prefer to be away from that.

And Lake George village is only 20-25 minutes away tons of amenities there.