Like we've been saying about Gore.... - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 88
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Lot's of great summer activities too great hiking and fishing.

    Someone said there are no amenities but like you I prefer to be away from that.

    And Lake George village is only 20-25 minutes away tons of amenities there.
    I'd be extremely impressed if you can make it from Gore to Lake George village in 20-25 minutes. Closer to 35 is more accurate.

    But anyway, there's a happy medium between what Gore/North Creek is like today vs somewhere like Stratton. That's what they need. I would never want them to be as built up Stratton or K, however something more like the Mad River Valley area would be ideal.

  2. #22
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,389
    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I'd be extremely impressed if you can make it from Gore to Lake George village in 20-25 minutes. Closer to 35 is more accurate.

    But anyway, there's a happy medium between what Gore/North Creek is like today vs somewhere like Stratton. That's what they need. I would never want them to be as built up Stratton or K, however something more like the Mad River Valley area would be ideal.
    So let's average to 30 minutes. That's perfect in my view.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    So let's average to 30 minutes. That's perfect in my view.
    Lake George though is a ghost town once summer ends. Don't a lot of places close for winter?
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    there's a happy medium between what Gore/North Creek is like today vs somewhere like Stratton. That's what they need. I would never want them to be as built up Stratton or K, however something more like the Mad River Valley area would be ideal.
    Yup. Anyone know if Gore operates in the black?
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Yup. Anyone know if Gore operates in the black?
    Just read ORDA's reports...that will make it clear as mud!

  6. #26
    If I were a Gore skier, I'd like the fact that there's not much nearby. I'd be content with commuting from a place in Lake George. Hell if you can swing a lake house, even better.

    Not having development at the mountain makes for such a better ski experience. The lack of slopeside or even nearby development is the exact reason why Wildcat and Cannon have vaulted to the top of my list as the best places to ski in New England on weekends. I've grown so used to it, I cringe at the thought of skiing at "resorts" now.

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    If I were a Gore skier, I'd like the fact that there's not much nearby. I'd be content with commuting from a place in Lake George. Hell if you can swing a lake house, even better.

    Not having development at the mountain makes for such a better ski experience. The lack of slopeside or even nearby development is the exact reason why Wildcat and Cannon have vaulted to the top of my list as the best places to ski in New England on weekends. I've grown so used to it, I cringe at the thought of skiing at "resorts" now.

    Agree with all of this.

    I can see the summit of Gore from our place. It's maybe 4 miles as the crow flies, about 10 miles by car, including the access road. I love the drive along the river.

    I love the fact that there is no slopeside at Gore. When you stand atop Gore, or Bear, or Burnt, or Little Gore... all you see is wilderness.

    As far as the continuum goes, if Gore is a 1 and Stratton is a 10, the middle ground I choose is 1.

    The thing about Gore is that, like any mountain, the people who ski there regularly gravitate towards that experience. We love limitless trees, we love 500 acres, we love 14 (?) pods, hell we even like our flat spots. We have a huge tele community and the flats are a breeze.

    Gore is awesome, if you like that kind of thing. It's clearly not for everybody, if it was, it would be crowded. Out side of my obsession with getting in line early for first chair, I haven't waited ten minutes in a lift line at Gore in over ten years. And I'm basically a weekend and holiday skier.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Agree with all of this.

    I can see the summit of Gore from our place. It's maybe 4 miles as the crow flies, about 10 miles by car, including the access road. I love the drive along the river.

    I love the fact that there is no slopeside at Gore. When you stand atop Gore, or Bear, or Burnt, or Little Gore... all you see is wilderness.

    As far as the continuum goes, if Gore is a 1 and Stratton is a 10, the middle ground I choose is 1.

    The thing about Gore is that, like any mountain, the people who ski there regularly gravitate towards that experience. We love limitless trees, we love 500 acres, we love 14 (?) pods, hell we even like our flat spots. We have a huge tele community and the flats are a breeze.

    Gore is awesome, if you like that kind of thing. It's clearly not for everybody, if it was, it would be crowded. Out side of my obsession with getting in line early for first chair, I haven't waited ten minutes in a lift line at Gore in over ten years. And I'm basically a weekend and holiday skier.
    And this is exactly why BG’s question is so relevant. Would gore be able to survive using this model as a private resort that wasn’t subsidized by the state of NY? I have serious doubts...

    Don’t get me wrong, I love gore, but I have serious questions about its viability if it wasn’t state own/run.


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Just read ORDA's reports...that will make it clear as mud!
    Some years ago I tried to do as deep a dive on that as I could (I posted it here), and it was very hard. Not because I dont have the knowledge, but because it's obvious State of New York intentionally makes it very hard to figure out what's going on.

    As best I can remember (as I said it's been some years), I figured Whiteface was profitable, but Gore & Belleayre lose money. ORDA's really a trainwreck though, that's for sure.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  10. #30

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Barto, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,401
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Gore potentially going to have a massive slope side development (Ski Bowl Village) adjacent to the north creek area?


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 PM.