• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Future of Freedom Pass?

p_levert

There are mixed signals on the Freedom Pass. The Eastern areas (Magic, Plattekill, Bolton, Black) prominently mention that season passholders get the Freedom Pass. Greek Peak says that they are joining the program.

However, out West, it's a differently story. If you go to the Purgatory season pass page (https://www.purgatoryresort.com/the-mountain/lift-tickets-passes/season-passes/), there's no mention of the Freedom Pass or any eastern mountains. It's the same at AZ Snowbowl, Pajarito and Sipapu, which are all owned by the same people. Similar story at Ski Cooper (https://www.skicooper.com/season-passes/).

So it sure looks like the Freedom Pass will become a Northeast only product for 2019-2020. Am I wrong?

FWIW, freedompass.ski still shows the same mountains from 18/19, but I don't believe this.

2planks2coasts

That may be the case, but the final agreements may not be finalized yet. I know Powder Alliance is still firming up their lineup for 19-20, as is the Indy Pass. Some may not be firm until September. The MCP resorts were a big add to the Freedom Pass and I hope they stay, if not, it's still a pretty decent deal.

Last edited:

Newpylong

There are mixed signals on the Freedom Pass. The Eastern areas (Magic, Plattekill, Bolton, Black) prominently mention that season passholders get the Freedom Pass. Greek Peak says that they are joining the program.

However, out West, it's a differently story. If you go to the Purgatory season pass page (https://www.purgatoryresort.com/the-mountain/lift-tickets-passes/season-passes/), there's no mention of the Freedom Pass or any eastern mountains. It's the same at AZ Snowbowl, Pajarito and Sipapu, which are all owned by the same people. Similar story at Ski Cooper (https://www.skicooper.com/season-passes/).

So it sure looks like the Freedom Pass will become a Northeast only product for 2019-2020. Am I wrong?

FWIW, freedompass.ski still shows the same mountains from 18/19, but I don't believe this.

That is not the case - don't read into it too much. Management of the Freedom Pass is very "loose" to say the least ie disorganized. The mountains are just now talking about who is going to be on it next year, I would not expect many if any subtractions. I have an email stating Cooper is still in, etc.

p_levert

Thanks for the responses, hope you guys are correct.

I am considering a Ski Cooper season pass, just for the partner resorts. But I sure would like to see some sort of commitment to the Freedom Pass on their website.

Newpylong

I think you're safe, this is an internal email from their Director of Sales and Marketing to the other Freedom contacts.

p_levert

@newpylong, must be a confidential email, cuz I can't see anything :-D

Newpylong

Lol. Yes I would not post that, I just meant this info where they stated they will be on the pass again was there. Sorry.

p_levert

I notice that Ski Cooper added this to their season pass webpage: "THE FREEDOM PASS IS STILL UNDER DISCUSSION AND MAY INCLUDE ADDITIONAL PARTNERS." Confirmation, sort of...

p_levert

You guys may be right that the Freedom Pass ends up with some western resorts included. But I really doubt that the final list will include either Purgatory or AZ Snowbowl. We might see the lower tier of Mountain Capital Partners (Hesperus, Sipapu, Pajarito, Nordic Valley), but not the two flagships. It's too bad, because Purgatory was the best resort in the old lineup.

FYI, MCP website: https://www.mcp.ski

dblskifanatic

Would love to see a TR from ski cooper.

We ski Ski Cooper every year off the Gems Card as a two for one. It is cheap. The lifts are slow especially the frontside. The back side is a lot of fun with a mixed bag of stuff. Some open runs with some tight trees to bump areas but not too much that is overly challenging. It is a family resort. The front side is nice but only as the return runs. They have a tiny pub with a pretty good beer selection.

We like Ski Cooper since there are no crowds and you feel like you have the place to yourself. We have managed to catch a powder day there and it was cool.

We have not done Chicago Ridge yet since reserving a day is tough due to limited capacity of Snow Cats but cat skiing there looks good.

Definitely not a destination but nice to add if you are visiting a destination resort.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
dblskifanatic is correct, I am no longer at Cooper, though I still do contracted projects there from time to time. So I don't have any info for you on the Freedom Pass, but I can definitely encourage everyone (biased though I may be!) to give Cooper a try when you're in that neck of the woods. Especially this upcoming season, since they are currently cutting new advanced terrain and installing a new T-Bar this year. The new terrain pod will offer about 700' vertical of sustained 24-30 degree slopes, mostly glades and narrow runs. I've skied the terrain back there when we were first scouting this project, and can assure you it's some great skiing. It's not extreme, but it's legitimately advanced terrain, and will finally round out the terrain offerings at Cooper (which currently lean in favor of beginner/intermediate skiing). I'm actually stoked to visit this season and check it out myself!

Here's the topo of the new terrain via the USFS: https://www.fs.usda.gov/nfs/11558/www/nepa/108226_FSPLT3_4290106.pdf.

BenedictGomez

dblskifanatic is correct, I am no longer at Cooper, though I still do contracted projects there from time to time. So I don't have any info for you on the Freedom Pass, but I can definitely encourage everyone (biased though I may be!) to give Cooper a try when you're in that neck of the woods. Especially this upcoming season, since they are currently cutting new advanced terrain and installing a new T-Bar this year. The new terrain pod will offer about 700' vertical of sustained 24-30 degree slopes, mostly glades and narrow runs. I've skied the terrain back there when we were first scouting this project, and can assure you it's some great skiing. It's not extreme, but it's legitimately advanced terrain, and will finally round out the terrain offerings at Cooper (which currently lean in favor of beginner/intermediate skiing). I'm actually stoked to visit this season and check it out myself!

My wife & I skied that area in 2017 and were so disappointed Cooper closed a few days before we got there. We drove into the parking lot and there were still folks there in the "closing it down" phase. It reminded me of a CO version of a little Platty or MRG, so I'm sure we would have absolutely loved it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Just noticed on Facebook that Granite Gorge avoided foreclosure and auction. The owner said they will be open for skiing next season. If that means the summit chair will spin, GG would be a good fit on that pass.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

dblskifanatic

Here's the topo of the new terrain via the USFS: https://www.fs.usda.gov/nfs/11558/www/nepa/108226_FSPLT3_4290106.pdf.

I like that new pod! We are looking forward to that experience! We like Cooper because it does not get crowded. Also there is terrain for every feast!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone