Future of Freedom Pass? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You guys may be right that the Freedom Pass ends up with some western resorts included. But I really doubt that the final list will include either Purgatory or AZ Snowbowl. We might see the lower tier of Mountain Capital Partners (Hesperus, Sipapu, Pajarito, Nordic Valley), but not the two flagships. It's too bad, because Purgatory was the best resort in the old lineup.

FYI, MCP website: https://www.mcp.ski

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Might not be a trip report, but bushmogulmaster is director of operations at Ski Cooper. Been there a few years. He's definitely contributed a little bit of Cooper stoke on AZ over that time

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Last time we were there he no longer worked there - a little over a year ago.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Would love to see a TR from ski cooper.
    We ski Ski Cooper every year off the Gems Card as a two for one. It is cheap. The lifts are slow especially the frontside. The back side is a lot of fun with a mixed bag of stuff. Some open runs with some tight trees to bump areas but not too much that is overly challenging. It is a family resort. The front side is nice but only as the return runs. They have a tiny pub with a pretty good beer selection.

We like Ski Cooper since there are no crowds and you feel like you have the place to yourself. We have managed to catch a powder day there and it was cool.

We have not done Chicago Ridge yet since reserving a day is tough due to limited capacity of Snow Cats but cat skiing there looks good.

Definitely not a destination but nice to add if you are visiting a destination resort.

dblskifanatic is correct, I am no longer at Cooper, though I still do contracted projects there from time to time. So I don't have any info for you on the Freedom Pass, but I can definitely encourage everyone (biased though I may be!) to give Cooper a try when you're in that neck of the woods. Especially this upcoming season, since they are currently cutting new advanced terrain and installing a new T-Bar this year. The new terrain pod will offer about 700' vertical of sustained 24-30 degree slopes, mostly glades and narrow runs. I've skied the terrain back there when we were first scouting this project, and can assure you it's some great skiing. It's not extreme, but it's legitimately advanced terrain, and will finally round out the terrain offerings at Cooper (which currently lean in favor of beginner/intermediate skiing). I'm actually stoked to visit this season and check it out myself!

Here's the topo of the new terrain via the USFS: https://www.fs.usda.gov/nfs/11558/ww...T3_4290106.pdf.

Quote Originally Posted by BushMogulMaster View Post
    dblskifanatic is correct, I am no longer at Cooper, though I still do contracted projects there from time to time. So I don't have any info for you on the Freedom Pass, but I can definitely encourage everyone (biased though I may be!) to give Cooper a try when you're in that neck of the woods. Especially this upcoming season, since they are currently cutting new advanced terrain and installing a new T-Bar this year. The new terrain pod will offer about 700' vertical of sustained 24-30 degree slopes, mostly glades and narrow runs. I've skied the terrain back there when we were first scouting this project, and can assure you it's some great skiing. It's not extreme, but it's legitimately advanced terrain, and will finally round out the terrain offerings at Cooper (which currently lean in favor of beginner/intermediate skiing). I'm actually stoked to visit this season and check it out myself!
    My wife & I skied that area in 2017 and were so disappointed Cooper closed a few days before we got there. We drove into the parking lot and there were still folks there in the "closing it down" phase. It reminded me of a CO version of a little Platty or MRG, so I'm sure we would have absolutely loved it.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Just noticed on Facebook that Granite Gorge avoided foreclosure and auction. The owner said they will be open for skiing next season. If that means the summit chair will spin, GG would be a good fit on that pass.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by BushMogulMaster View Post

Here's the topo of the new terrain via the USFS: https://www.fs.usda.gov/nfs/11558/ww...T3_4290106.pdf.
    I like that new pod! We are looking forward to that experience! We like Cooper because it does not get crowded. Also there is terrain for every feast!

Not really confirmed, but it seems like Purgatory will be in the Freedom Pass next year:

https://www.skicooper.com/season-passes/

That Cooper pass is quite a deal!

Thread Information