Skiing on the cheap - 2019-2020 - Page 11

AlpineZone

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Ride and Ski Card gets you 50% midweek and Sundays I think.
    Unfortunately Jay 1/2 price tix is one of the good deals that left this year. Now it's $10s off a lift ticket any day.

Sweet, I can save $10 on a Saturday now. . .

Sux - I made good use of that 50% lift tix last year at Jay on a 4 day weekend.

Jay use to have a discount for pass holders of other mountains but don’t see it on their website anymore

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

This too, is a consequence of EPIC & IKON; increasingly there is no reason for anyone to give "deals" anymore.

The artificially high prices of single day tickets at all the now numerous Vail & Alterra mountains has led to significant real price inflation.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Specific to Jay Peak, they used to have more of a problem with attracting skiers, but given some successful efforts over the years with marketing, it's now attracts pretty decent crowds for its somewhat remote location. Midwinter weekends and powder days tend to be decently crowded, with long lines for the tram, and healthy but not overwhelming lines for the lifts.

Jay Peak is in the fortunate position of having to decide between just growing the volume of visits, or trying to focus more on attracting a specific type of customer. I believe that they're starting to decide to target the latter over going for sheer volume, which is why we're seeing the discounts start to disappear. You'll notice that more of the discounts are tied to booking a hotel room, which realizes a lot more revenue for them than old half-priced card tickets that they used to have, because, let's face it, many of us who would use the half-priced card tickets would also save money by staying at a motel or cheap AirBnB instead of staying at the somewhat luxurious resort lodging.

While I miss some of the discounts, I also respect their decision. The mountain is potentially in danger of becoming overcrowded given its uphill capacity. A lot of people are hoping that Alterra buys Jay Peak. I partially hope this happens because Alterra has the capital to ensure Jay Peak's continued success, but the resulting crowds will surely overwhelm the place.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    Specific to Jay Peak, they used to have more of a problem with attracting skiers, but given some successful efforts over the years with marketing, it's now attracts pretty decent crowds for its somewhat remote location.
    It wasn't the marketing that "attracted" the people, it was primarily the several hundred millions dollars in crooked money which built out a massive tourist attraction.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    It wasn't the marketing that "attracted" the people, it was primarily the several hundred millions dollars in crooked money which built out a massive tourist attraction.
    I think that's partially true, as their in-house marketing campaign sucked for the last 5 years. Lots of expensive 100-page booklets to print and they had mascots of various snow monsters looking like drawn by a child. Advertising dollars not well spent.

That said I think the hard-core powder chaser base of skiers has grown a bit in the last decade, even if new skiers is flat-lined, more people are getting "good" at skiing probably thanks to better gear or perhaps taking things more seriously in certain aspects. With 90mm semi-rocker skis now the average, who wouldn't want to shoot for powder days? Internet is a word-of-mouth multiplier, and Jay Peak has a great reputation for actual skiing even if there are complaints here and there on peripheral matters (or lift operation).

Overall I think skiing in the East has evolved to the point where this mountain way up in Vermont with a lot of tree skiing, a lot of natural snow, and some technical chute skiing with easy access has become a very desirable place for advanced/expert skiers to "attend" as much as possible.

I mix it up a lot but it would be unusual for me to miss a day or two at Jay this season for these reasons.
    2019/2020 season

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10, 1/22, 1/24]
    Bretton Woods [1/3, 1/30]
    Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Mad River Glen [1/29, 2/11]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

Perhaps we should avoid veering too deeply off the "skiing on the cheap" topic.

I will say that the Epic/Ikon formula of high day rates and low season pass prices does give plenty of elbow room for the little guys to raise rates. So in the end, maybe the new reality will actually help the small ski areas. Maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by p_levert View Post
    Perhaps we should avoid veering too deeply off the "skiing on the cheap" topic.
    I just assumed I was in the Jay Peak thread. Short term memory issues.
    2019/2020 season

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10, 1/22, 1/24]
    Bretton Woods [1/3, 1/30]
    Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Mad River Glen [1/29, 2/11]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

Dec 8th. Sunapee Commuity Day. $35 lift tickets w/5 non-perishable food items.

Stumbled across the Ride and Ski Card for 20 bucks at rush49. Just bought a few for the family.

https://rush49.com/deals/the-ride-an...SAAEgKnS_D_BwE

Thread Information