Skiing on the cheap - 2019-2020 - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    champlain cards coming out end of october. i emailed them yesterday. no details on pricing or resorts provided tho.
    That would be very early, it's usually Thanksgiving. Maybe they think part of the problem is they waited too long, but the problem is the higher price combined with deteriorating mix of mountains.

President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    That would be very early, it's usually Thanksgiving. Maybe they think part of the problem is they waited too long, but the problem is the higher price combined with deteriorating mix of mountains.
    They told me Nov 1st but it sounded slightly up in the air, best idea is to start checking their site a few days before the end of the month. Good news is they don't fly off the shelf like Ski VT Passes.

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    They told me Nov 1st but it sounded slightly up in the air, best idea is to start checking their site a few days before the end of the month. Good news is they don't fly off the shelf like Ski VT Passes.
    True but last year there was a $25 price increase within a few hours/days after they first went on sale. Might happen again this year if it was considered a promotion like Magic selling the first 100 throwback cards for $99. But maybe not, IIRC last years price increase coincided with a couple mountains being added to the pass.

FYI, here's the lineup from last year:

fox_card.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    True but last year there was a $25 price increase within a few hours/days after they first went on sale. Might happen again this year if it was considered a promotion like Magic selling the first 100 throwback cards for $99. But maybe not, IIRC last years price increase coincided with a couple mountains being added to the pass.
    Funny thing, I must have been the first person to order because I got cards #001 and #002 in the mail. Guess what, only purchased one card. This was at the early $150 price too.

But then as karma would have it, I was fumbling around in that 45" snow storm up at Smugglers Notch, using the card for the first time in January. Girl at the ticket window never heard of the Fox44 card, she was impressed at the deal. I said yup, I got another one too!

Next day could not find the 2nd card, I assume it got buried in the snow somewhere near the Smuggs ticket window. I give it a 25% chance that girl stealth swiped it from me with some sleight of hand. I forget where I went instead that 2nd day probably Bolton. Moral of the story, take off your gloves when opening the wallet at the ticket window in a snow storm.

Funny thing, I must have been the first person to order because I got cards #001 and #002 in the mail. Guess what, only purchased one card. This was at the early $150 price too.

But then as karma would have it, I was fumbling around in that 45" snow storm up at Smugglers Notch, using the card for the first time in January. Girl at the ticket window never heard of the Fox44 card, she was impressed at the deal. I said yup, I got another one too!

Next day could not find the 2nd card, I assume it got buried in the snow somewhere near the Smuggs ticket window. I give it a 25% chance that girl stealth swiped it from me with some sleight of hand. I forget where I went instead that 2nd day probably Bolton. Moral of the story, take off your gloves when opening the wallet at the ticket window in a snow storm.
    I left mine in my ski pants pocket and it got sweaty wet and stuck together and I couldn't open it again. When it dried it was even worse. Only used it 3 times. Back then it was only 129 - I think.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    I left mine in my ski pants pocket and it got sweaty wet and stuck together and I couldn't open it again. When it dried it was even worse. Only used it 3 times. Back then it was only 129 - I think.
    Back then it sold out quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Back then it sold out quickly.
    I'll assume it goes on sale for either $175 or $199 this year. Either way this is an excellent breakdown, at least in my use case, let's assume I use it for these this year:

MRG, Magic, Burke, Smuggs, Gore, Whiteface, Cannon, Bretton Woods

At $199 this = $28.50 per lift ticket. I might be inclined to add Owl's Head this year and try a new ski area that always seemed funky/interesting to me with legit steeps. Maybe I'll combo that with a chance to return to Mt Sutton (which I love but have only skied in icy conditions). Drops the price even more.

Hard to beat this deal at least on the I-91 corridor and willing to do a few overnights. I also enjoy the fact that if a storm skips Vermont (or they get the r**n, I can book it to either Cannon/Bretton or Whiteface/Gore if they get the goods.

Combine that with VT Pass and Ride and Ski NE card and I can go anywhere I'd actually want to ski with great powder chasing ability and never paying more than 1/2 price.

I'll assume it goes on sale for either $175 or $199 this year. Either way this is an excellent breakdown, at least in my use case, let's assume I use it for these this year:

MRG, Magic, Burke, Smuggs, Gore, Whiteface, Cannon, Bretton Woods

At $199 this = $28.50 per lift ticket.
    That is awesome, but the vast majority of people arent going to hit that geographically diverse of an area.

Let me know when you decide to hit Gore.

Thread Information