Running a lift of off diesel

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Running a lift of off diesel

Stratton was running one of their detachables off the diesel engine Sunday. Based on the snow report, they had been doing that for a few days. I had thought that the diesel was there for a backup; to get people off the lift if the primary electric drive goes down. If you are running the diesel, you essentially have no backup?

Last edited by Glenn; Feb 25, 2020 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Spelling
    SoVT

I believe they have a 2nd backup to the primary backup.

FWIW they have to run the diesel backups every once in a while to make sure that they will operate when needed in a real emergency. Perhaps that was what they were doing (?) It seems like there is something else going on though if they are running it on diesel for that long.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Lifts are always required to have a backup if there are skiers on it. If it's running in passenger service off the diesel, it must have an additional backup. On most lifts, the diesel is only powerful enough to run the lift for evacuation.

Quote Originally Posted by ceo View Post
    Lifts are always required to have a backup if there are skiers on it. If it's running in passenger service off the diesel, it must have an additional backup. On most lifts, the diesel is only powerful enough to run the lift for evacuation.
    I believe the exact regulations vary from state to state (IIRC New York is as you describe, but the ANSI spec allows for operation on an APU as long as it meets the service requirements for a primary drive and evacuation gear and personnel are "immediately available"; I'm not sure about other states).
    Disclaimer: Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself, unless I'm saying something incredibly dumb, in which case I didn't say anything and you're hallucinating.

FWIW - the Green Mountain Express chair at Mt Ellen has been running on diesel all season while awaiting a replacement part that was damaged by a lightning strike last summer

Some lifts are designed with a full backup diesel motor and can be run on electric or this full diesel motor (rated same power as primary electric). Those lifts will also have a smaller alternate motor (usually diesel too) as an evacuation motor. You cannot run a chair just on aux motor (one not full rated power of the primary) other than testing or unloading if primary fails. Sunday River's Chondola has the full backup diesel and aux one and they do run off the full diesel on occasion to keep it working or cover for electrical issues. I would thing when Barker and Jordan are replaced, both will probably get full diesel backups and aux motors (Jordan at the very least with how critical it is for the hotel).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    FWIW they have to run the diesel backups every once in a while to make sure that they will operate when needed in a real emergency. Perhaps that was what they were doing (?) It seems like there is something else going on though if they are running it on diesel for that long.
    You're actually supposed to start the diesel APU up (the real one, not a secondary diesel prime mover if equipped) every day prior to opening to ensure correct operation.

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Some lifts are designed with a full backup diesel motor and can be run on electric or this full diesel motor (rated same power as primary electric). Those lifts will also have a smaller alternate motor (usually diesel too) as an evacuation motor.
    Is that a change to the current B77 specs? I'm not enough of a geek to buy my own copy of the PDF, but the version posted on the NY DOL site (with NY-specific changes) includes this text:

Quote Originally Posted by New York DOL ANSI updates
    No aerial lift shall be operated using a single power unit without a second operable powerunit being available except for unloading passengers or for maintenance purposes.

[ EXCEPTION – An aerial lift may continue loading passengers if the following requirements are met:
    a) The power unit in use meets the requirements of a prime mover (see 3.1.2.1.1);
    b) Evacuation gear and personnel shall be immediately available in sufficient number and quantity to evacuate the entire aerial lift in a period specified in the evacuation plan (see 3.3.2.5.7).]
    If I'm reading the document correctly, the square brackets indicate that the section has been deleted for NYS purposes, i.e. the exception is not allowable there, so it's quite possible that other states and/or insurance companies have also adopted a more-strict interpretation.

The NY changes PDF is at https://labor.ny.gov/workerprotectio...i_industry.pdf
    Disclaimer: Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself, unless I'm saying something incredibly dumb, in which case I didn't say anything and you're hallucinating.

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Hunters Northern Express ran for 2 weekends on Diesel at full speed. I was told a computer part for the electric motor was damaged. Its a clean diesel...

Thread Information