Use this instead of ski wax - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    People still think that waxing skis is good for recreational skiers? Seriously?
    https://newatlas.com/unwaxed-skis-work-better/15402/

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    Are you saying you never wax your skis?
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

https://newatlas.com/unwaxed-skis-work-better/15402/
    And now he sells his own ski scrapers!

https://www.kuzmin.se/pgs/scrapers_engl.html

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Are you saying you never wax your skis?
    Not very often. With modern skis you really don’t need to.

Not very often. With modern skis you really don’t need to.
    I dont have anything but modern skis, and I definitely need to wax my skis or I feel a definite drop-off in performance.

You may not technically "need to" while still participating in the sport of alpine skiing, but if you want your skis to handle the best, they need occasional waxing.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

I keep up with m buddies just fine. We’ve tested it numerous times. Modern ski bases are hydrophobic just like wax, so wax isn’t needed.

I rarely wax my skis, only time I may is in late spring when it gets real slow on the flats.

3 snow surface conditions where wax 100% helps.

1) Fresh, ungroomed, base building type man made snow
    2) REALLY cold, dry snow (like air temps below 0 cold)
    3) Wet spring type snow

General mid winter day to day groomed snow, or mid winter soft pack/powder, the average skier won't notice a difference

Now since for many, when wax gets applied to their skis, there's very often a concurrent tune, that's going to have a benefit for the vast majority of folks over a large range of snow/weather conditions. Not too many folks sharpen edges without waxing, and not too many folks wax without sharpening in my experience.

From someone who's been tuning skis for 30+ years, the tuning equipment that's available today at a reasonable cost makes the process of putting a fresh edge and a fresh coat of wax on for all but the highest level racers, a quick, simple task. Honestly these days, if I'm only doing 1 pair of skis, the "longest" part of the tuning process for me is waiting the 5 minutes or so it takes for the wax to adequately cool enough before scraping and brushing
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17 (Mount Snow)

What about the "protective" aspect of the wax?

I understand the base is much harder than the wax. But like motorcyclists wearing leather and cyclist wearing lycra, the fragile layer still help absorb a fair amount of the abrasion when/if they end up sliding on the ground. Without wax, wouldn't the base got a lot more wear and tear on day-to-day use?

You should wax your skis periodically. Foolishly, I skied on dry bases on hard granular spring "sugar" snow. Just too lazy to wax, try going to go an extra day. By the end of the day, noticed wet plex hairs getting raised up off the bases.
    wish i were skiing.....

Thread Information