• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
So far for the Vail executive board room, us at Alpinezone Ski Development Planning have proposed the various alternatives of...a tunnel, a magic carpet, a t-bar, a tunnel UNDER a pond, a dozen snowcats, and horses towing skiers...

This forum cracks me up :lol:

abc

Count me in as another who lost the plot on the obsession regarding the Stowe-smugg link.

The last thing Vail need is a large interconnected northeast destination mountain. Stowe is no Park City!

Vail wants Stowe skiers go to Vail. Not the (non-local) skiers going to Stowe. To Vail, Stowe/Okemo/Hunter are all just feeder hills.

Moreover, Vail owns Vail village, in the middle of nowhere with no competition. Stowe on the other hand, has local businesses not owned by Vail. Vail makes tons more profit in Vail than they ever will in Stowe.

Last edited:

Newpylong

So far for the Vail executive board room, us at Alpinezone Ski Development Planning have proposed the various alternatives of...a tunnel, a magic carpet, a t-bar, a tunnel UNDER a pond, a dozen snowcats, and horses towing skiers...

This forum cracks me up :lol:

All to connect to a ski area they do not own, or want to own.

Glenn

Anyways...back to Mt. Snow. Looks like the season passholders forum is gone; the domain is up for grabs. I suppose they could be moving it to a new location? That was a great way for folks to interact with management. Hope they keep it around.

jimmywilson69

Seems weird that they would axe it even before the sale has gone through... Kind of weird but after the way they handled the spring season pass announcement's down here in PA, nothing would surprise me with those folks.

Edd

Anyways...back to Mt. Snow. Looks like the season passholders forum is gone; the domain is up for grabs. I suppose they could be moving it to a new location? That was a great way for folks to interact with management. Hope they keep it around.

Interesting strategy to introduce yourself to your new customers. A bunch of people that really care about Mt Snow and you remove this method of interaction. I wonder if they announced this in any way.

drjeff

Seems weird that they would axe it even before the sale has gone through... Kind of weird but after the way they handled the spring season pass announcement's down here in PA, nothing would surprise me with those folks.

They sent an e-mail out about this to members of the forum on Tuesday (or maybe it was just to members like myself, who responded to the page that popped up saying that my account had been blocked and to contact the admins if I felt this was wrongly done - I did contact the admins through the link that popped up).

The official explanation they gave was 2 fold. First, they expected a large number of questions from members about the details of the merger, and 2nd, for full transparency, they wanted to only address and answer the questions via their public social media feeds to make sure that everyone can see the questions and answers.

Going forward, I will be interesting to see if the communications crew from Mount Snow are as active on AZ as they have been in the past, or if Vail policy changes that? Time will tell I guess

abc

That says to me the management had wanted it axed all along, and use this as an excuse to have it permanently removed.

FBGM

Over/Under on first round of employee cuts? And who goes first?

I guess we have to wait for this all to close. So that means the winter will probably hold steady.

So spring time will be first round of marketing, payroll, purchasing. Then hopefully soon after some mountain operations people. Starting with that moron who botched that over budget lake project and hunter expansion that was drawn on a cocktail napkin.

drjeff

That says to me the management had wanted it axed all along, and use this as an excuse to have it permanently removed.

That was fairly public knowledge the last few seasons, as typically from what I understood, the bulk of people who actively participated in the passholders forum, were actively participating in Mount Snow public social media feeds as well. The overlap of questions asked in the passholders forum verses the public forums was often very high, and often the only difference was that with any news they wanted to get out there, they'd post it in the passholders forum a few minutes or so before the public forums.

The reality is that short of seeing the specific names from the mountain who was answering the questions verses just a generic "mount snow" as the author in the public forums, there really wasn't any difference in the information communicated to the public. A few more specific technical questions might of been addressed in the passholders forums (such as snowmaking water pressures, why specific bathroom heaters were having issues, etc) but it's not like there was any "double super secret" type information being said in there by any means :wink:

VTKilarney

Vail wants Stowe skiers go to Vail.
Vail wants skiers to go from feeder hills close to urban centers to expensive hills where they will spend several days and lots of money on lodging and food. I doubt they care if a New Yorker goes to Stowe or Vail for a week.

EPB

Vail wants skiers to go from feeder hills close to urban centers to expensive hills where they will spend several days and lots of money on lodging and food. I doubt they care if a New Yorker goes to Stowe or Vail for a week.
Agreed for the most part. Capturing more of the skier's spend is the name of the game. They'd probably get more out of a trip to Vail or Beaver Creek, but Stowe is plenty good - that's more of a side point, though.

The feeder/resort dynamic is the key. Feeders widen the net and resort spend is the upsell - it doesn't necessarily break down on east/west lines.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

slatham

Except Vail does not own any of the Spruce Village Lodging. They only own the Mountain.

EPB

Except Vail does not own any of the Spruce Village Lodging. They only own the Mountain.
They don't own a majority of the lodging at the base of their resorts...

According to their 2018 annual report, just $25 million out of $618 million of reported EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) came from lodging. RockResorts is their lodging arm of you're interested. Vail is a ski area operator first, not a real estate forward company like the Intrawest model.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

Domeskier

+1. If Vail just wanted people from NY and Boston to fly to Colorado for a week, there would be much cheaper ways to make that happen than buying Stowe and a bunch of other eastern ski areas.