• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts.

BenedictGomez

I am pretty sure that Vail already owns resorts in other countries.

Barely. Their only ex-N.A. ski areas are in Australia.

$15M over 2 years split between 17 resorts is sort of weak in all honesty.

I'll take the OVER on that sum.

That's a low-ball figure. An estimate had to be thrown-out, so they go low-ball to placate Wall Street.

Expectations Management 101: Dont spend > 1/4 of a Billion dollars on a very expensive acquisition & in that same press release say, "Oh, by the way, we also plan to spend $50 Million more on badly needed upgrades too!"

BenedictGomez

Remember, for those in parts of the NYC metro, it's easier (albeit more $$$) to get on a plane to PC than it is to drive to Stowe.

Oh, HELLLLLLLLLL no! That's totally false.

Were that the case, my azz would be skiing Utah far more than I ski Vermont.

Trust me, it is not easier dealing with airport transportation, airport security, delayed flights (which can screw up everything) or worse, and all logistics of travel once you arrive in Utah, than it is to simply get in my comfy SUV and drive 6.5 hours to Vermont.

Not. Even. Close.

EPB

Trust me, it is not easier dealing with airport transportation, airport security, delayed flights (which can screw up everything) or worse, and all logistics of travel once you arrive in Utah, than it is to simply get in my comfy SUV and drive 6.5 hours to Vermont.

Not. Even. Close.
If I took a straw poll in my office, I think that would be the consensus. .5 hr to Newark, United flight to SLC. 45 mins to PC.... I'm used to driving in the mountains and don't mind the drive to NVT, but I'm not making this line up. Granted, I work with people who travel a decent bit and are used to it.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

mbedle

Maybe I am over simplifying this, but with pass prices (for the most part) the same at every Vail resort, how much more money are they going to get from someone skiing at Breckenridge for a week, compared to skiing at Mount Snow for a week? The only time I see that happening to any great extent is when someone travels to a Vail resort and stay at a Vail owned or operated hotel. That leaves a hell of a lot of western resorts that Vail only additional revenue stream is going to come from on mountai
n food services at restaurants/bars that Vail actually owns or operates, plus rentals and equipment sales (again, if Vail owns them). Places like Vail, Breckenridge, Beaver Creek have a lot of on mountain hotels, restaurants and bars that are not own or operated by Vail (think Beaver Run at the base of Peak 9 at Breck).

Domeskier

Understood - short guess is that the casual fan is likely to lack that level of conviction. Vail has big name resorts, and I think most people are fine to just pick one (unless their brother has a place at Jackson, for example). A week "out west" and maybe a week or a couple of weekends "in Vermont" is about as specific as you need to get. Only the full ikon gets you unlimited access to a US east coast resort (Stratton) while Vail now has many more options thanks to Peak. The simplicity and variety of Epic and Epic Local passes provide compelling value.

Yes, I can definitely see people in this demographic buying an Epic pass instead some other offering for those reasons.

abc

If I took a straw poll in my office, I think that would be the consensus. .5 hr to Newark, United flight to SLC. 45 mins to PC.... I'm used to driving in the mountains and don't mind the drive to NVT, but I'm not making this line up. Granted, I work with people who travel a decent bit and are used to it.
+1

There're those who travel to far away places, by whatever means. They're not fazed by the logistic "hassle".

Then, there're those who intensely dislike the lose of control: airport security, flight delays, putting their life in the hands of pilots... They'd rather fight the traffic, the snow and icy roads, idiots who drive too fast on the freeway...

I wish the flights will be on time. I wish the airport security is smooth. But would NOT wish to replace all that "hassle" with driving 5 hrs in the dark, never mind if there's a storm, TWICE!

Whether one is "easier" than the other, is as subjective as whether carving on hard pack is "more fun" than surfing the glades. We will never agree. But knowing there're others who have different preference is already a huge improvement.

Domeskier

Maybe I am over simplifying this, but with pass prices (for the most part) the same at every Vail resort, how much more money are they going to get from someone skiing at Breckenridge for a week, compared to skiing at Mount Snow for a week? The only time I see that happening to any great extent is when someone travels to a Vail resort and stay at a Vail owned or operated hotel. That leaves a hell of a lot of western resorts that Vail only additional revenue stream is going to come from on mountai
n food services at restaurants/bars that Vail actually owns or operates, plus rentals and equipment sales (again, if Vail owns them). Places like Vail, Breckenridge, Beaver Creek have a lot of on mountain hotels, restaurants and bars that are not own or operated by Vail (think Beaver Run at the base of Peak 9 at Breck).

I'm with you on this. Vail's business model depends on people buying epic passes. Where they use them is largely irrelevant apart from a few hotels and restaurants that make up a small portion of their revenue.

cdskier

Not. Even. Close.

I’m with BG on this one. And I’m only 15 minutes from Newark.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

EPB

I once flew from Newark to Boston to ski Wachusetts. It was totally worth it.
Nice one.... Shortest flight I ever took for a ski trip was 2 hrs from Minneapolis to Denver when I was an Epic pass holder and raced in an after work league at Afton Alps. Easy access to the Rockies was nice but not nearly enough to make up for everything else you give up loving out there.

In an unrelated note, I'm beginning to wonder which sample is bad, my office, or this place.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

Zand

Let's say you wake up at 4:00 on Saturday morning in Newark and have the option to go to the west (let's say Utah) or let's say Killington. You can head to the airport and be on a flight, on the ground, in a car, and skiing Snowbird at 9:30. Good luck being at Killington by 9:30. South of NYC it's definitely quicker to fly west and, depending on where you're going, easier.

cdskier

Let's say you wake up at 4:00 on Saturday morning in Newark and have the option to go to the west (let's say Utah) or let's say Killington. You can head to the airport and be on a flight, on the ground, in a car, and skiing Snowbird at 9:30. Good luck being at Killington by 9:30. South of NYC it's definitely quicker to fly west and, depending on where you're going, easier.

How slow are you driving that it is taking over 5.5 hours to get from Newark to killington? From Newark I could be in sugarbush by 9:30.

Never mind the fact that most people don’t wake up at 4am and decide to plan a last minute ski trip...

Griswold

Again this is all assuming you don’t travel with kids. I disagree though you could absolutely wake up in Newark at 4 and be at Killington at 930. The only reason you could for Snowbird, if that’s even actually possible, is the time zone difference. There’s no way you can ski Sunday at snowbird until 3 and get back home by 9 like you can at Killington.

cdskier

Again this is all assuming you don’t travel with kids. I disagree though you could absolutely wake up in Newark at 4 and be at Killington at 930. The only reason you could for Snowbird, if that’s even actually possible, is the time zone difference. There’s no way you can ski Sunday at snowbird until 3 and get back home by 9 like you can at Killington.

I question whether you could even be at snowbird by 930 anyway. The only direct flight I see right now for a Saturday in January out of Newark leaves 830 am and arrives in Utah after 11am. Maybe it is too far out and something will be added, but southwest also just pulled out of Newark so options are a bit limited.

mbedle

Am I reading your post wrong> There is no way that one could wake up at 4AM and be at Snowbird at 9:30AM. A non-stop fight between Newark and Salt Lake City is 5.5 hours.

abc

There’s no way you can ski Sunday at snowbird until 3 and get back home by 9 like you can at Killington.
Yes! You can do even BETTER than that!

You can ski till 4 (or 5 at Alta). And you’ll be back by 9! LOL

I mean 9am Monday morning! ;)

Totally worth it.

If you're trying to “duplicate” you routine, you’ll be disappointed. But if you can think out of the box, there’re LOTS of good opportunities left and right! But I no longer bother to convince others that it can be done. I just do it, with whoever open minded enough to join me. Let the doubters argue till the cows come home.

I'm beginning to wonder which sample is bad, my office, or this place.
Neither “sample” is “bad”. You’re just trying to compare apples and oranges.

Last edited:

Killingtime

Not. Even. Close.

Yeah gotta agree. Going to Killington from L.I. almost every Friday night in the winter isn't really that bad. Leave at 7:00pm and usually putting on the fireplace and opening a beer by midnight. When I go out west I block out almost a whole day for travel because from experience, s--t happens, and frequently. The whole Kennedy/LaGuardia nightmare can waste hours just getting there and getting through baggage check/security and waiting to board.