• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Upgraded a week ago and still no email! Checked with Mt. Snow Peak Pass office and they don't have me on the List for a refund. Called and waited on hold for Vail , only to be told I am on the list. Told rep, I will put it in dispute with Amex by tomorrow if I don't hear back. She said ok. Some operation. They just want your money!

AdironRider

So Vail explicitly said they were processing your refund but you are going to dispute it anyways?

You can thank our wonderful credit card industry, but you never get a refund instantaneously unless it is cash.

KustyTheKlown

i spaced on cancelling an expedia hotel room. i was totally in the wrong, but disputed it anyway. it took about 6 weeks but i ended up getting the refund. cool story hansel.

abc

So Vail explicitly said they were processing your refund but you are going to dispute it anyways?
I see nothing wrong about disputing a charge when expecting a refund.

The last time I disputed a charge (not a refund), one of the acceptable "reason for dispute" was precisely "Expecting a refund" (or something like that).

Technically (legally?), there's a time limit on disputing a charge (amount, in this case). So to keep within the legal limit, sometimes it's necessary to "dispute" an expected refund. Just in case the refund doesn't materialize for any reason. So you don't lose your legal rights to dispute it because you waited too long.

Now, if I trust the business to process the refund "in due course", I will save myself the hassle of "disputing" an expected refund. But if I have any doubt on the business I'm dealing with, I will dispute it to protect myself.

When the refund came in, the dispute will be considered "resolved". Most credit card companies handle that quite smoothly.

AdironRider

So you think that Vail, a publicly traded company mind you, is going to welch on refunds?

I know it is fun to hate on Vail, but this seems like a bout of paranoia or you are just a lawyer.

Credit card companies deliberately hold back your money for a couple days in a sweep account to make interest on it. This is the tradeoff you make when you purchase using credit. Also, they do the same to Vail when you make a purchase. That money doesn't hit Vail's account without a delay of at least 1-2 business days.

Last edited:

andrec10

So you think that Vail, a publicly traded company mind you, is going to welch on refunds?

I know it is fun to hate on Vail, but this seems like a bout of paranoia or you are just a lawyer.

Credit card companies deliberately hold back your money for a couple days in a sweep account to make interest on it. This is the tradeoff you make when you purchase using credit. Also, they do the same to Vail when you make a purchase. That money doesn't hit Vail's account without a delay of at least 1-2 business days.

Read my post. Vail said that I was on the list, Mt Snow said I was not. Thats what set me off. This is so poorly done.

abc

Read my post. Vail said that I was on the list, Mt Snow said I was not. Thats what set me off. This is so poorly done.
Forgot to add this is precisely the kind of situation I would err on the cautious side: money falling through the crack.

Although in this very scenario, I'd trust Vail more than I trust Mt Snow (Peak). So, if it were me, I wouldn't bother with the "dispute".

Instead of hating Vail, you hate lawyers instead? :popcorn:

Why don't we get rid of all lawyers. And when we do have disputes, we can settle it with our fist or knife or guns... like in the good old days!

Funky_Catskills

Transferred my "Oxycodone pusher" - I mean Peaks pass to Epic today - finally got through. Took a while and I've been trying for a while. Was a bit taken aback by the $$ shenanigans... It's two different publicly traded companies so it makes sense. I'm a liability to the deal. :) Stoked to head out west this year. Have a ton of friends in Tahoe and Colorado now. So I'm stoked to hit Kirkwood, Crested and Telluride... Gonna be awesome.

andrec10

Transferred my "Oxycodone pusher" - I mean Peaks pass to Epic today - finally got through. Took a while and I've been trying for a while. Was a bit taken aback by the $$ shenanigans... It's two different publicly traded companies so it makes sense. I'm a liability to the deal. :) Stoked to head out west this year. Have a ton of friends in Tahoe and Colorado now. So I'm stoked to hit Kirkwood, Crested and Telluride... Gonna be awesome.

Ends up being a better deal for me too, plus not funding the Sackler family anymore. Just the way its been done is poorly, should be able to do this all online!

jimmywilson69

How else would they have been able to do this?

Charge me the difference between the Peak Pass and whatever Epic product I purchased. I get it, they were 2 different large companies and I'm sure this year considered 2 different revenue and profit centers.

Its just annoying... On the plus side I get to accumulate Credit Card Points twice! I think...

cdskier

Its just annoying... On the plus side I get to accumulate Credit Card Points twice! I think...

Doubt it...if the refund hits your CC, your CC company typically gives you negative points for those transactions.

mbedle

Charge me the difference between the Peak Pass and whatever Epic product I purchased. I get it, they were 2 different large companies and I'm sure this year considered 2 different revenue and profit centers.

My bad, I thought that was what they were already doing. Didn't know that they were refunding the entire amount of the peak pass and making you purchase the epic pass.

andrec10

My bad, I thought that was what they were already doing. Didn't know that they were refunding the entire amount of the peak pass and making you purchase the epic pass.

Bought my Epic Local last Tuesday and still nothing. Called Mt Snow office and they don't have me on a list for a refund. Someone in the Office was going to check on it and get back to me. They have until tomorrow before I put it in dispute with Amex.

icecoast1

Ends up being a better deal for me too, plus not funding the Sackler family anymore. Just the way its been done is poorly, should be able to do this all online!

You already funded them. They got loads of money thanks to the buyout.

jaytrem

Hmmm, mine should be real interesting since I partially paid with a gift card.

jimmywilson69

Yeah that sounds like a mess...

Since the refunds are taking so long I've decided to wait until my credit card statement flips, which is tomorrow, to "upgrade" to Epic Local. That way the charge and refund will hopefully end up in the same credit card cycle.

drjeff

Yeah that sounds like a mess...

Since the refunds are taking so long I've decided to wait until my credit card statement flips, which is tomorrow, to "upgrade" to Epic Local. That way the charge and refund will hopefully end up in the same credit card cycle.

We went as early as possible, regardless of CC billing cycle time, in the hopes that we'd have out Epic locals in hand for hopefully 1st turns for us the 2nd full weekend in November... *fingers crossed*

jaytrem

Just did my upgrade, was only on hold for about 3 minutes. So I guess things have slowed down for them.