Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts. - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 101 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    I wonder when anti-trust concerns come up?
    Not sure it will, as if you take a look at where Vail's existing properties are, and where Peak's are, there's very little overlap, and with respect to New England, one could easily make the argument that post closing of the deal, that Alterra/Ikon will still have a greater share of the New England market.

Vail with this deal, just made it much more enticing for the skiers/riders up and down the I-95 corridor from Boston to DC, who aren't committed to a home mountain in the East, and like to take a trip or 2 out West a year, to go Epic, with now more day trip East Coast options (especially in the DC/Philly/NYC market) than IKON.

And Peak buying the Snowtime resorts last year in the DC/Philly market, now looks to be an even better move, as I'm guessing that made Peak and their market share in that sizable population base, look even better.

Now the question is will Alterra pull a knee jerk move and quickly buy up say Jay/Burke or maybe even Mountain Creek or a Pocono or Catskills area to try and gain some more enticement for the now much more wide open Eastern multi-pass option market??
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,7 (Mount Snow)

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    I broke one of my big investing rules to own it, that rule being, never buy a stock simply because you think someone will aquire them.

SKIS is an absolutely terrible investment, just horrible, but I couldn't envision a scenario whereby Vail didn't buy them. Peaks needed an exit from their financial idiocy & misery, and Vail desperately needed east coast access to keep their growth story going with Wall Street's institutional investors.
    Yup...a potential acquisition definitely was the only reason to buy this one (which I agree in general is not a good reason to invest in a stock).

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Ever hear of the MTV show, Jersey Shore?

Those are Benny's (Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark, NY City).
    Ah, sounds grim

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Now the question is will Alterra pull a knee jerk move and quickly buy up say Jay/Burke or maybe even Mountain Creek or a Pocono or Catskills area to try and gain some more enticement for the now much more wide open Eastern multi-pass option market??
    Wasn't there already a rumor that Alterra was buying Camelback in the Poconos? I do think this puts pressure on Alterra though to do something more in the Northeast.

I was not looking forward to a future where Peak needed to focus on servicing their mountain of debt rather than investing in their ski mountains. Peak needed a buyer. While it's possible that this leads to more skiers at Hunter and Mount Snow, I'm very happy to have a pass that includes my home mountain (Hunter) and throws in good options out west.

Hopefully this also means that the Summit chair at Attitash gets replaced sooner rather than later.

Fantastic news. Now these garbage dump resorts will become safe and normal and nice. Will take some time and money.

Also, can’t wait to see the garbage peak resort employees get the ax! Will be a few months but it will happen. That mountain operations director that was the old owners son, yup see ya! Better shine up that resume. That moron guy that thinks he knows everything about snowmaking and capitol projects - yup gone. Go screw up something else because Vail don’t want ya. Anyone in marketing and sales should also shine the resume up.

Good times good times. Be prepared for a reality check, then good times.

Huh. If I wasn't such a picky day tripper, this would make an Epic Pass a no brainer. But I'd rather ski Bell or Platty than Hunter, and Blue instead of JF.

Quote Originally Posted by drewfidelic View Post
    Hopefully this also means that the Summit chair at Attitash gets replaced sooner rather than later.
    I’m starting to think that chair is possessed and refuses to be removed, even by Vail the Mighty.

The idea posted of them buying Haystack is interesting. God knows MS could benefit from a little crowd reduction (probably never happening).

This’ll sound a bit crazy, but to increase the Wildcat skier visits, which they’ll surely want to do, I wonder if they’d consider buying this place for lodging.

IMG_0033.jpg

https://theglenhouse.com/

It’s only a year old, a mile from Wildcat, and a legitimately nice hotel with stunning views of the Presidentials. I went there several times last season for some apres ski. It would solve the issue of no lodging at Wildcat.

FBGM is this this official end of your irrational hatred for Mount Snow? Lets get a beer at the Bullwheel

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post

Now the question is will Alterra pull a knee jerk move and quickly buy up say Jay/Burke or maybe even Mountain Creek or a Pocono or Catskills area
    Yes.*

*assuming they dont offer $13 for SKIS within the next 72 hours.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Thread Information