• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts.

Gforce

It is just logging, no ski potential.

the timing seems to be more than a coincidence. Also what is cut out does not seem to be an economical way to log, that being cutting distinct veins of trees out of the side of a relatively steep slope. I'd submit this is Real Estate development possibly linking into Attitash Bear Mtn trails.

JimG.

Staff member
Just saw a very polished, Hollywood style TV ad for the Epic pass.

Guess I should not be surprised. Reinforces my dislike for such passes.

Newpylong

the timing seems to be more than a coincidence. Also what is cut out does not seem to be an economical way to log, that being cutting distinct veins of trees out of the side of a relatively steep slope. I'd submit this is Real Estate development possibly linking into Attitash Bear Mtn trails.

I typically do not post information unless it is first hand. It was logging for cash, and nothing more.

JimG.

Staff member

Let me explain. I'm watching TV and suddenly here comes a pitch for the Epic pass. Telling me to get my Epic pass soon. Lot's of action shots from powder days out west and a short 2 second list of a few eastern resorts. Saw it several times today.

I get it they want to sell more passes so they decided to drop some change on fancy ads. And I guess dislike is a poor word choice because none of this affects me, but if I were an Attitash skier hoping for a new summit lift or a Mt Snow skier this weekend waiting on a busted down lift I'd be pretty pissed they're spending money on fancy ads instead of infrastructure upgrades.

More questions?

BenedictGomez

if I were an Attitash skier hoping for a new summit lift or a Mt Snow skier this weekend waiting on a busted down lift I'd be pretty pissed they're spending money on fancy ads instead of infrastructure upgrades. More questions?

Do you get mad at Mount Snow whenever you saw one of their spots? Hunter? Deer Valley? Smuggs? Whiteface? Insert resort name here _____?

I'm not a fan of EPIC or IKON either, but I do know marketing works, and increased profit is what does eventually does pay for things like new lifts.

FBGM

Let me explain. I'm watching TV and suddenly here comes a pitch for the Epic pass. Telling me to get my Epic pass soon. Lot's of action shots from powder days out west and a short 2 second list of a few eastern resorts. Saw it several times today.

I get it they want to sell more passes so they decided to drop some change on fancy ads. And I guess dislike is a poor word choice because none of this affects me, but if I were an Attitash skier hoping for a new summit lift or a Mt Snow skier this weekend waiting on a busted down lift I'd be pretty pissed they're spending money on fancy ads instead of infrastructure upgrades.

More questions?

lol at not know what marketing is

JimG.

Staff member
Do you get mad at Mount Snow whenever you saw one of their spots? Hunter? Deer Valley? Smuggs? Whiteface? Insert resort name here _____?

I'm not a fan of EPIC or IKON either, but I do know marketing works, and increased profit is what does eventually does pay for things like new lifts.

Guess I don't watch enough TV to have seen many ski area ads leave alone one advertising a skiing pass. It stood out for me, I guess congrats to them for grabbing my attention.

and thanks for the marketing lesson duh.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I feel like a lot of people hate Ikon/Epic because we're pretty personally tied to this sport and to certain mountains.

I compare it to the Smalltown, USA Walmart example. If you're a local in town and you shop at Joe's Convenience Store 3 days a week year-after-year-after year you're gonna be pretty opinionated when Walmart comes to town and makes things hard for Joe and your purchasing habits change and/or are threatened by Walmart.

But for the "average" customer at Joe's...someone who shops there maybe once a month...a skier who gets 10 days a year...do they really care about Walmart/Vail coming in? Probably not...

I'm not going to "hate" Vail for simply existing and being a business. Now if they bought Killington and made the season November 1-May 1 I'd be livid. If they bought the local hill I work at I'd be massssively personally invested and would care enough to develop an opinion. But for me now? My skiing habits are changing but not enough that smoke will be coming out of my ears and I put that Katz CEO guy in the dictionary next to the Devil.

jimk

It would be an interesting exercise to try to determine which is economically better for a small town: numerous small businesses or one Walmart supercenter? Could a large and vibrant Walmart be better for the local economy than a bunch of small, stagnant businesses? I honestly don't know.
I have a nephew who works in management for a Walmart on the rural coastline of Oregon. He's a military veteran, but without a college degree. He's a refugee from Southern California and has a beautiful lifestyle in Oregon that he would have a hard time attaining in California.

danimals

I’ve seen wal marts move into a few small towns in my area as well as more rural parts of PA. What happens is the same in each town. The small business not only compete for your business but for your employment as well, so more people make a decent living. When wal mart comes and puts the small business out of business, more people end up out of work, or working for lower wages. Sure the managers make a decent amount, but that’s only a few people in each wal Mart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimG.

Staff member
I feel like a lot of people hate Ikon/Epic because we're pretty personally tied to this sport and to certain mountains.

I compare it to the Smalltown, USA Walmart example. If you're a local in town and you shop at Joe's Convenience Store 3 days a week year-after-year-after year you're gonna be pretty opinionated when Walmart comes to town and makes things hard for Joe and your purchasing habits change and/or are threatened by Walmart.

But for the "average" customer at Joe's...someone who shops there maybe once a month...a skier who gets 10 days a year...do they really care about Walmart/Vail coming in? Probably not...

I'm not going to "hate" Vail for simply existing and being a business. Now if they bought Killington and made the season November 1-May 1 I'd be livid. If they bought the local hill I work at I'd be massssively personally invested and would care enough to develop an opinion. But for me now? My skiing habits are changing but not enough that smoke will be coming out of my ears and I put that Katz CEO guy in the dictionary next to the Devil.

Pretty awesome synopsis, especially the part about the 10 day a year skiers who don't care. Those are the people these mega passes target.

Those are the same people who will bail out on your business at the drop of a hat if things change. And then these resorts will be begging the hardcore locals to return. And it will cost them a fortune to get those customers back.

Smellytele

I think ski mountain homers think they are more important than they really are. Vail doesn't care about you, Vail wants you to travel around to multiple Vail ski areas.

JimG.

Staff member
I think ski mountain homers think they are more important than they really are. Vail doesn't care about you, Vail wants you to travel around to multiple Vail ski areas.

I know I'm not important. I agree with you in general that people think they are more important than they are especially on social media.

But Vail isn't important to me so F them.

catskillman

I know I'm not important. I agree with you in general that people think they are more important than they are especially on social media.

But Vail isn't important to me so F them.

Again, read the book "Powder Burn"! This will map out the future of all the newly acquired Vail resorts.........

KustyTheKlown

these passes do not only benefit the ~10 day/season skier. they've benefited any of us on this board who have them and the rest of the subset of hardcore skiers who don't live close enough to any one mountain to have a home resort. starting with max pass and continuing onto ikon, my ski seasons became dramatically less expensive and more fun to plan over the past few years, and i've been able to rise from ~35 days a season to ~50+ as a result of the lower costs.

i get the pinch this places on independent operators, and how it shafts the walk-up crowd, but these passes have benefited consumers' wallets and thats why they are so popular. the savvy among of us know how to minimize dealing with the crowds that have increased as a result of more people holding passes.

abc

I think ski mountain homers think they are more important than they really are. Vail doesn't care about you,
But that’s precisely why people are upset.

They believe the mountain(s) cared about them, at least a little bit, maybe even quite a bit.

But Vail won’t.

Naturally, they’re not happy anout that change.

icecoast1

these passes do not only benefit the ~10 day/season skier. they've benefited any of us on this board who have them and the rest of the subset of hardcore skiers who don't live close enough to any one mountain to have a home resort. starting with max pass and continuing onto ikon, my ski seasons became dramatically less expensive and more fun to plan over the past few years, and i've been able to rise from ~35 days a season to ~50+ as a result of the lower costs.

i get the pinch this places on independent operators, and how it shafts the walk-up crowd, but these passes have benefited consumers' wallets and thats why they are so popular. the savvy among of us know how to minimize dealing with the crowds that have increased as a result of more people holding passes.

If you are under 30, your pass price doubled to ski Mount Snow or the other peak mountains. Same at Stratton after they were bought.

drjeff

Finally received the refund of my families Peak pass purchase price after we upgraded to Epic locals. Received the passes in roughly 3 weeks from when we did the upgrade. Took about 4.5 weeks to get the refund

jimmywilson69

that's strange... I received my refund in 7 days and have yet to receive my passes... Colorado said 2-4 weeks to ship?

I asked if they were sending them carrier pigeon. they weren't amused :lol: