• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts.

JimG.

Staff member
Again, read the book "Powder Burn"! This will map out the future of all the newly acquired Vail resorts.........

Nope...don't care.

I'll stick to non-Epic areas. I don't need to worry about pinching pennies to go skiing.

With Sugarbush becoming an Ikon resort I may indeed one day be an Ikon passholder. Frankly I'm happy to see this consolidation shakeout happening now and not in 4-5 years. At that time I will own a second ski home somewhere in NE. I figure by then the consolidation will be finished and I'll be able to make an informed decision about exactly where to purchase. By then the ski areas that are going to go bankrupt because they can't compete will be complete or at least obvious.

Right now I'm looking at something between and equidistant to K and SB. Maybe be a K passholder one season and alternate with the Ikon pass every other year.

JimG.

Staff member
If you are under 30, your pass price doubled to ski Mount Snow or the other peak mountains. Same at Stratton after they were bought.

They won't work with high schools anymore either. Epic resorts want full price for the kids.

Went to my kid's ski club meeting and the events coordinator was livid about Epic, said they were rude and inflexible.

So our school district doesn't work with Epic anymore.

thebigo

Right now I'm looking at something between and equidistant to K and SB.

Problem is vt taxes retirement income, which can seriously add up if you plan on being retired for 20 years. I'm thinking one of the towns on the nh side of the river between lebanon and littleton. NH seniors ski cannon for free midweek, K spring pass is cheap and the drive is not too far, world class medical care at dhmc and they are building a market basket in plymouth. The mb may sound minimal if you are used to vermont grocery prices but I will bet you this alone will save at least $5k / year, I was shocked at the grocery prices in rutland last year.

JimG.

Staff member
Problem is vt taxes retirement income, which can seriously add up if you plan on being retired for 20 years. I'm thinking one of the towns on the nh side of the river between lebanon and littleton. NH seniors ski cannon for free midweek, K spring pass is cheap and the drive is not too far, world class medical care at dhmc and they are building a market basket in plymouth. The mb may sound minimal if you are used to vermont grocery prices but I will bet you this alone will save at least $5k / year, I was shocked at the grocery prices in rutland last year.

The choices are between VT and NH. We keep going back and forth.

I could just as easily see us somewhere between Cannon and Wildcat. Except then I would need an Epic pass for Wildcat so right now VT has the edge.

When you say VT taxes retirement income do you mean any income including capital gains and social security? I'm guessing yes and that would be a major disincentive to move there.

AdironRider

I could just as easily see us somewhere between Cannon and Wildcat. Except then I would need an Epic pass for Wildcat so right now VT has the edge.

When you say VT taxes retirement income do you mean any income including capital gains and social security? I'm guessing yes and that would be a major disincentive to move there.

Vermont taxes everything pretty heavily. Regular income tax rates on both social security and capital gains (less a 5k exclusion)/retirement income.

I'd look at the area between Hanover and Littleton as well myself. All the untouched & un-commercialized beauty of VT and none of the tax pitfalls. It is really a pretty unique area of NH in that regard and isn't overly done up like North Conway or Lincoln. Plus the good healthcare.

You'd be a good hour or so from Wildcat but Cannon is better IMO, although with a smaller season.

1dog

MB will certainly save a boatload - we estimate $75 per week in savings over S&S, and other mainstream large companies - never mind WHole Paycheck.

This site is a bit dated, but its close.
https://www.howmoneywalks.com/new-hampshire-vs-vermont-a-tale-of-two-state-tax-plans/

Property tax does have high rates in NH, but unless you are on water ( and maybe have the 'view' tax) values in NH are much more reasonable than VT.

That said, I have a second in VT for one reason: MRV and better snow - lake effect, lack of crowds, and good vibe, great terrain, on and on.

It may not be forever - when I'm too old and creaky to ski castlerock or MRG or Ext Woods et al, NH looks to be my destination.

A simple avg of say Waterville ( 140" annually) to Bush ( 250" not including lake effect or upslope) less crowds in the places I like to go, and sure there's no comparison between the two - just same elevation.

I look at it like Wasatch grabbing snow before it hits Colorado on a smaller scale. But 30 years of travelling to both - never a true snow deficit in the 'Tah, some boney weeks in Summit County tho. . . . same thing.

My property taxes have doubled since purchase in '03. Means less now than when on a fixed income in retirement. I hope never to have to do that. Soon as one stops being productive, it seems to take away some part of youth. But thats just me.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Knowing your summer passion, maybe look at Mascoma lake in Enfield, NH. About an hour to both K and Cannon. 90 minutes to Sugarbush or Burke. And when the snow is good you've got Whaleback 10 minutes away. Whaleback is as old school, anti-corporate as it gets. Super fun terrain for a little ski area. Hanover/West Lebanon about 10-15 minutes away with all the services you'll ever need.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
Knowing your summer passion, maybe look at Mascoma lake in Enfield, NH. About an hour to both K and Cannon. 90 minutes to Sugarbush or Burke. And when the snow is good you've got Whaleback 10 minutes away. Whaleback is as old school, anti-corporate as it gets. Super fun terrain for a little ski area. Hanover/West Lebanon about 10-15 minutes away with all the services you'll ever need.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Plus I went to college in Hanover so I know the area pretty well.

About as centrally located in ski country as you can get!

BenedictGomez

Problem is vt taxes retirement income, which can seriously add up if you plan on being retired for 20 years.

Problem also is VT taxes "2nd homes" at a sadistically punishing rate, you know, because if you have a 2nd home you're obviously one of those "evil rich" people who needs to be punished.

I've talked to multiple people at Jay Peak who wish they never bought, and now are having a difficult time selling.

cdskier

Problem also is VT taxes "2nd homes" at a sadistically punishing rate, you know, because if you have a 2nd home you're obviously one of those "evil rich" people who needs to be punished.

Actually it is a bit more complicated than that as it is not simply a "2nd homes pay higher tax rates across the board in VT" thing. It varies from town to town and year to year.

Currently in Warren and Waitsfield (and other MRV towns), non-residents pay a lower rate on the education portion of the property tax bill than residents do. In other towns like Jay and Stowe, non-residents are currently paying a higher rate on the education portion than residents in those towns.

kingslug

Its why I would not retire there. Buying our place in Stowe was a way to alleviate the need for hotels and may turn a profit due to Vail's presence. But..VT is a pretty expensive place to hang out.

Newpylong

I am in Enfield (NH) as are a couple other folks on here. It is a good town to live in and very centrally located for skiing. I ski (and volunteer) at Whaleback and also have a Ragged pass - only 35 minutes away. Sunapee is about 30 minutes and Killington is about 45 minutes to Skyeship or Bear. The I-93 mountains are not far off either. In the summer, the amount of outdoor stuff to be done around can't be beat. Like 25% of the town is also water. and hiking galore.

My wife and I have been trying to find an affordable second home in the Conway region (we also spend a lot of time up there) for quite a while now, but no such luck with prices there. Good luck.

Last edited:

catskillman

They won't work with high schools anymore either. Epic resorts want full price for the kids.

Went to my kid's ski club meeting and the events coordinator was livid about Epic, said they were rude and inflexible.

So our school district doesn't work with Epic anymore.

This will be terrible for the kids in the Hunter school district. The kids have free lessons and rentals and lift tickets at Hunter as part of their PE requirements. Especially hard hit will be the middle and high schoolers - the town is fighting a big drug issue and this will only hurt as it will give the kids less to do.

bigbob

I am in Enfield (NH) as are a couple other folks on here. It is a good town to live in and very centrally located for skiing. I ski (and volunteer) at Whaleback and also have a Ragged pass - only 35 minutes away. Sunapee is about 30 minutes and Killington is about 45 minutes to Skyeship or Bear. The I-93 mountains are not far off either. In the summer, the amount of outdoor stuff to be done around can't be beat. Like 25% of the town is also water. and hiking galore.

My wife and I have been trying to find an affordable second home in the Conway region (we also spend a lot of time up there) for quite a while now, but no such luck with prices there. Good luck.

Have you looked over the border east of Conway in Maine? Property taxes are lower along with housing costs and what do you care about the income tax since you are a NH resident. Sales tax avoidance is what Conway is for!

FBGM

The herd has been thinned.

Told ya so

Who’s got the inside know on who’s been axed from Mt Snow?