• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts.

drjeff

The herd has been thinned.

Told ya so

Who’s got the inside know on who’s been axed from Mt Snow?
Nobody with the last name of Boyd is what I have heard. Sorry to disappoint you.

If you read the Ski Area Management report on this, sounds like only 2 people, both GM's at an Ohio and one of the last year acquired Snow-time middle Atlantic resorts got the immediate axe. The rest will be kept on until April or in some cases October and potentially offered different jobs in Vail Resorts, which I somewhat read as a "challenge" for those affected to show what they have and why they should be kept on with Vail Resorts challenge this winter.

84 out of roughly 10,000 employees (full and part time/seasonal) isn't exactly a massive culling of the heard. Although I will say that this probably won't be the last layoffs that Vail Resorts makes of Peak employees as they go through a season or 2 and see what talent they have and how much consolidation they may or may not to make...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

positions will be eliminated in several departments, including human resources, finance and accounting, IT, health and safety, marketing, operations, real estate, reservations, retail/rental, and sales. In some cases, entire departments were given notice that their employment was ending come spring. Most corporate-level positions carried over from Peak Resorts are being eliminated.

Told y'all. Even got virtually every department correct. Didnt have "health & safety", as I have no clue what that is, but this behaviour is S.O.P. in most acquisitions with obvious significant vertical integration opportunities for cost savings.

The only bit that surprises me is HOW much TIME they're giving these employees, as 5.5 months is a LONG lead-out. This suggests to me that Vail believes much of what these folks currently do, is only minimally necessary or no longer necessary at all (i.e. Broomfield's got this).

Edd

jaytrem

No discounts for Epic pass holders, only for people who kept their Peaks pass.

^^^^ Edit: Guess I type pretty slow on the phone.

drjeff

No discounts for Epic pass holders, only for people who kept their Peaks pass.

^^^^ Edit: Guess I type pretty slow on the phone.
Short of an occasional logo item or the need for some chapstick or suncreen since I forgot it at the condo, I've always been way more of a fan of buying my gear at the local, independent ski shops in the Valley rather than at Mount Snow's retail shops.

Won't change my shopping habits at all

cdskier

Short of an occasional logo item or the need for some chapstick or suncreen since I forgot it at the condo, I've always been way more of a fan of buying my gear at the local, independent ski shops in the Valley rather than at Mount Snow's retail shops.

Same here (except replace mt snow with sugarbush in my case). Not only are prices usually better anyway in the off mountain shops, but several of them know me and give me extra discounts anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Booze prices raised at Hunter, about 5%, except Bud Light

Last edited:

Glenn

That's too bad about the layoffs. Especially if they're fulltime/year round positions.

cc1

Nobody with the last name of Boyd is what I have heard. Sorry to disappoint you.

If you read the Ski Area Management report on this, sounds like only 2 people, both GM's at an Ohio and one of the last year acquired Snow-time middle Atlantic resorts got the immediate axe. The rest will be kept on until April or in some cases October and potentially offered different jobs in Vail Resorts, which I somewhat read as a "challenge" for those affected to show what they have and why they should be kept on with Vail Resorts challenge this winter.

84 out of roughly 10,000 employees (full and part time/seasonal) isn't exactly a massive culling of the heard. Although I will say that this probably won't be the last layoffs that Vail Resorts makes of Peak employees as they go through a season or 2 and see what talent they have and how much consolidation they may or may not to make...

https://www.mcall.com/news/mc-xpm-2013-08-20-mc-n-big-boulder-oxycodone-pills-arrests-20130820-story.html

Rumor is that Josh Faber is Boyd's cousin...soooo read between the lines and think what you will about that immediate ax.

cc1

This will be terrible for the kids in the Hunter school district. The kids have free lessons and rentals and lift tickets at Hunter as part of their PE requirements. Especially hard hit will be the middle and high schoolers - the town is fighting a big drug issue and this will only hurt as it will give the kids less to do.

There are a lot of rich people from NYC area, second home owners, lot of air bnb investors making a bundle, that I'm sure wouldn't hesitate to contribute to a gofundme for the local kids.

FBGM

https://www.mcall.com/news/mc-xpm-2013-08-20-mc-n-big-boulder-oxycodone-pills-arrests-20130820-story.html

Rumor is that Josh Faber is Boyd's cousin...soooo read between the lines and think what you will about that immediate ax.

Lol another part of the Jesse Boyd drug ring.

I love a place that supports a dirtbag drug dealer. Those pills will end up in your kids schools. Think about that when you give these dirt bags sympathy about loosing jobs. How about loosing lives because of their actions?

urungus

Same here (except replace mt snow with sugarbush in my case). Not only are prices usually better anyway in the off mountain shops, but several of them know me and give me extra discounts anyway!

Wasnt even thinking of merch, was hoping for food & beverage discount similar to Stowe & Okemo. Maybe next year...

Last edited:

jaytrem

Well tomorrow will be a month since I upgraded. Still no passes and still no refund. No too impressed with Vail so far. Guess I need to give Jack Frost a call and see what's up. They did manage to spell 2 out of 3 last names incorrectly on our Peak Passes, maybe that's they're excuse.

dblskifanatic

Well tomorrow will be a month since I upgraded. Still no passes and still no refund. No too impressed with Vail so far. Guess I need to give Jack Frost a call and see what's up. They did manage to spell 2 out of 3 last names incorrectly on our Peak Passes, maybe that's they're excuse.

Might be faster if you go to one of the ski areas!

cc1

Might be faster if you go to one of the ski areas!

Okemo, Stowe, and Sunapee have capability to print out your hard pass, otherwise you have to get a day ticket until your pass comes in the mail.

I upgraded on Nov. 16, day before the upgrade deadline, have received my refund and picked up my pass in person.