Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts. - Page 48

AlpineZone

Page 48 of 113 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Ugh... I recoil when I hear Mount Snow & Okemo mentioned as "big boys" in Vermont, but using skier visits & top-line revenue as a guide, it's undeniably true. Another useful reminder that this board is not reflective of the average American skier.
    I know. I cringed writing it, but you got exactly what I meant.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Ski season is always too short

Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post
    I hear what you guys are saying, I just can't imagine getting to Cannon with any regularity from MWV after already driving there from down south most weekends in the winter. Cannon is the only of the three of the three I'd take over Attitash. It's got the most challenging terrain in NH and some of the toughest in the east. Their snow isnt fantastic and I personally don't like the layout. These factors make Wildcat the better overall experience for me, too (easily the second best terrain in NH and you can crank out a full day's worth of runs at most places by noon there).

I rarely went to Cranmore when I wasn't racing, but I never found that place interesting. That could have changed a bit with that new upper mountain triple that lets you access the steeper stuff more easily/directly - not sure.

Maybe I never got the memo, but BW has always bored me. A day skiing is better than a day sitting at home, but every time I went there and poked around in the woods, I was disappointed by the lack of pitch generally, and the lack of sustained pitch where I was able to find a little bit of steepness. It's a great operation, but skews too Sr. citizen and/or lower intermediate for me.

Attitash only on the epic local pass is ~$200 cheaper than the super pass, and unless I'm a bachelor with his own MWV pad, I don't know how I pull off not spending almost all my days at Cranmore or BW. I'd rather ski Attitash and use the savings to take some day trips wherever I wanted, or use the savings to take a weekend to VT (granted, savings would only pay for a trip if you needed to buy passes for a family, not just one for yourself).

As mentioned. Cannon would be my Sunday choice. Easy commute home down 93. Mix up Saturdays and Sundays between BW and Cranmore.

Now if Vail fixes the triple, adds a substantial amount of glades and grooms less, Attitash becomes much more appealing. As is I just don't go there often. Probably 90% Cat vs 10% Attitash.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    As mentioned. Cannon would be my Sunday choice. Easy commute home down 93. Mix up Saturdays and Sundays between BW and Cranmore.

Now if Vail fixes the triple, adds a substantial amount of glades and grooms less, Attitash becomes much more appealing. As is I just don't go there often. Probably 90% Cat vs 10% Attitash.

That makes sense - missed the Sunday part. As long as you're okay bringing stuff up/down every weekend and don't do kids programs (I did them but plan on avoiding with mine), it's totally doable. I got very burnt out on Attitash and spent most of my time at the cat after it came in the fold. Went a year or two without a pass when I was in my 20s after college and before the drifter pass and really enjoyed getting away from Attitash. That said, it made me a sustained pitch snob and made snow just about anywhere else seem phenomenal.

I get that Vail hasn't upgraded any lifts back east (and just a couple in the midwest), but they haven't run into a scenario as dire as the summit triple before. I'd be surprised if they don't fix it. As BG mentioned, those guys are brand obsessed and nothing says "we're cheap" more than the summit triple. I'd take just making snow on the whole mountain, but would love to see some steep runs left ungroomed and covered like the good old days - Kachina, grandstand and one run between Tim's, Idiot's, Ptarmigan and Tightrope would be a good start.

That makes sense - missed the Sunday part. As long as you're okay bringing stuff up/down every weekend and don't do kids programs (I did them but plan on avoiding with mine), it's doable. I got very burnt out on Attitash and spent most of my time at the cat after it came in the fold. Went a year or two without a pass when I was in my 20s after college and before the drifter pass and really enjoyed getting away from Attitash. That said, Attitash made me a sustained pitch snob and made snow just about anywhere else seem phenomenal.

I get that Vail hasn't upgraded any lifts back east (and few in the midwest), but they haven't run into a scenario as dire as the summit triple before. I'd be surprised if they don't replace it. As BG mentioned, those guys are brand obsessed and nothing says "we're cheap" more than the summit triple. I'd take just making snow on the whole mountain, but would love to see some steep runs left ungroomed and covered like the good old days - Kachina, grandstand and one run between Tim's, Idiot's, Ptarmigan and Tightrope would be a good start.

They were good about not grooming Grand Stand or Kachina last year, though they never made snow on Kachina. Lower Ptarmigan also has been left to bump up.

I've lobbied for years for them to leave one of the four trails you mentioned ungroomed. It's basically fallen on deaf ears.

They were good about not grooming Grand Stand or Kachina last year, though they never made snow on Kachina. Lower Ptarmigan also has been left to bump up.

I've lobbied for years for them to leave one of the four trails you mentioned ungroomed. It's basically fallen on deaf ears.

Good to hear about the bumping up, but even under ASC, every trail I mentioned got snowmaking regardless of whether it was a bump run or not. I obviously don't need to explain to you the elevation and snowfall situation there, but let's just say it made a noticeable difference.

Removed duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post
    Good to hear about the bumping up, but even under ASC, every trail I mentioned got snowmaking regardless of whether it was a bump run or not. I obviously don't need to explain to you the elevation and snowfall situation there, but let's just say it made a noticeable difference.

Really the only trails over the past 5-6 years that haven't seen snowmaking are Upper Kachina and Wilfred's. My understanding is the pipe is busted on Wilfred's.

I'm sure ASC probably made more snow though. My experience has been that for the most part they blow trails really deep, but only focus on a few key runs with resurfacing; Spillway, Moat, Thad's, Illusion and Morning Star. The roll out has always been pretty slow too for both Cat and Tash. The two mountains basically share the same crew. Rarely do you see snow being made at both resorts on the same day. Hopefully that changes with Vail.

Really the only trails over the past 5-6 years that haven't seen snowmaking are Upper Kachina and Wilfred's. My understanding is the pipe is busted on Wilfred's.

I'm sure ASC probably made more snow though. My experience has been that for the most part they blow trails really deep, but only focus on a few key runs with resurfacing; Spillway, Moat, Thad's, Illusion and Morning Star. The roll out has always been pretty slow too for both Cat and Tash. The two mountains basically share the same crew. Rarely do you see snow being made at both resorts on the same day. Hopefully that changes with Vail.

"Cat and Tash" ??? I thought it was "Kitty and Titty" ?!?!?

Also, I didn't think middle Ptarmigan has seen snowmaking in years.

Definitely got to middle Ptarmigan the past couple of years. It was last on the list both years

Thread Information