• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts.

KustyTheKlown

ouch. people who got to live and work in professional roles in mountain towns fired and given the option to apply to broomfield with no guarantee of transferring. that's rough. hard for a finance/HR/marketing professional to find other work up in summit county. fuckin vail.

abc

ouch. people who got to live and work in professional roles in mountain towns fired and given the option to apply to broomfield with no guarantee of transferring. that's rough. hard for a finance/HR/marketing professional to find other work up in summit county. fuckin vail.
I'm not a Vail Corp fan. But in this case, I'll defend their business. With the new acquisition, they actually need MORE finance/HR/marketing professionals. The question is where they're located. Summit county is pretty expensive. So expanding their footprint in Summit county will cost more than expanding in Bloomfield. It's not entirely surprising they choose to move down to the city. At least they're not moving to Texas.

As you said "hard for a finance/HR/marketing professional to find other work up in summit county". They know that when they move there. Or they should.

Everybody bitch about the I-70 traffic. No one ever stop to think why those weekend skiers don't all move up to the mountains instead of suffering the 2 hr traffic jam! The answer is, there're a lot more job opportunities in Denver/Boulder than up in Summit county.

In my years of working in large corporations, I've seen several such "corporate relocation" happening next to me. Here in NYC, few took such "offers" because "other works" are usually plentiful locally. But if the same thing happens in North Conway, where "other works" are relatively hard to come by, it would be much tougher situation for those affected.

There're reason why so many of us "choose" to live in the flat land. Away from the mountains and snow.

Unless you own your own business, you're never entirely free to choose where to work and live.

abc

Merry Christmas!
It's the corporate bullsh*t of making the year end report look good.

I got "lucky" 3 years back when they laid me off before Thanksgiving instead of right before Christmas. I promptly bought a season pass and went on my best season of skiing the whole of north America! But if it were to happen now, all the "big" multi-mountain season passes are no longer available.

I wish those Vail employee luck going forward. It was quite a shock when it happened to me back then. But having gone through that, I'm a lot more mentally prepared.

drjeff

I'm not a Vail Corp fan. But in this case, I'll defend their business. With the new acquisition, they actually need MORE finance/HR/marketing professionals. The question is where they're located. Summit county is pretty expensive. So expanding their footprint in Summit county will cost more than expanding in Bloomfield. It's not entirely surprising they choose to move down to the city. At least they're not moving to Texas.

As you said "hard for a finance/HR/marketing professional to find other work up in summit county". They know that when they move there. Or they should.

Everybody bitch about the I-70 traffic. No one ever stop to think why those weekend skiers don't all move up to the mountains instead of suffering the 2 hr traffic jam! The answer is, there're a lot more job opportunities in Denver/Boulder than up in Summit county.

In my years of working in large corporations, I've seen several such "corporate relocation" happening next to me. Here in NYC, few took such "offers" because "other works" are usually plentiful locally. But if the same thing happens in North Conway, where "other works" are relatively hard to come by, it would be much tougher situation for those affected.

There're reason why so many of us "choose" to live in the flat land. Away from the mountains and snow.

Unless you own your own business, you're never entirely free to choose where to work and live.

Its why I am still working in NYC. Even the pay in CT is half what I make..SLC 1/4.

This all pretty much sums up the challenge that it is to live where you want, work a job you like and want to work, and get paid what you feel you should be, and have all 3 of those align. And when that doesn't always happen, or changes happen to the status quo that some have acquired to try and make all of those 3 things happen, it can certainly come as a shock to the system, especially in this day and age where so many careers allow a mobile presence that can allow all 3 of those factors to align, but may not be sustainable within the corporate structure that pays the bills that allows the lifestyle and location.

While sometimes I envy the mobility that other careers offer, there are also many times where I appreciate the stability that owning my own business, and of a nature where frankly unless I want to start over from scratch, I know where I am going to be until I decide that the day to retire has come.

In this instance, it sounds like some of the previously more local, resort specific, finance jobs through Vail Resorts, will amount into a bigger, full company, finance job option, of higher stature, but it will come with the choice of relocation down into Bloomfield, or a long commute, or a 2nd residence and some days during the week away from the family. Sounds somewhat like some "adulting" decisions will need to be addressed for many of these affected

BenedictGomez

This will all change once the white & gray haired people are no longer in charge, and the Millennials inherit the earth.

Woe I say to you, on that day great sorrow awaits the owners of commercial real estate, for there will be wailing in the night & gnashing of teeth.

There is already no reason for most people in certain disciplines (finance, accounting, logistics, just to name a few, etc...) to work in a large, incredibly expensive, corporate structure. I could do 100% of my job anywhere in the contiguous United States. As a former professional prognosticator, I believe there will be a commercial real estate crisis in America in < 20 years. Much of it (2nd belief) will be refitted for living space & turned into mixed-use, but mostly residential.

abc

This will all change once the white & gray haired people are no longer in charge, and the Millennials inherit the earth.
I don't know what Millennials you're hanging out with. Because I see a lot of them in NYC!

They may have come here for *A* job. But they stay job after job after job, the most they do is to move to another city! Many of them don't even own cars. Good luck living in the mountains.

KustyTheKlown

In this instance, it sounds like some of the previously more local, resort specific, finance jobs through Vail Resorts, will amount into a bigger, full company, finance job option, of higher stature, but it will come with the choice of relocation down into Bloomfield, or a long commute, or a 2nd residence and some days during the week away from the family. Sounds somewhat like some "adulting" decisions will need to be addressed for many of these affected

it didnt even come with the choice to relocate. it came with an invitation to reapply like some putz off the street.

i get the corporate priorities at play, but doing this to people a week before xmas is fucked.

BenedictGomez

I don't know what Millennials you're hanging out with. Because I see a lot of them in NYC!

You missed the point.

it didnt even come with the choice to relocate. it came with an invitation to reapply like some putz off the street. i get the corporate priorities at play, but doing this to people a week before xmas is fucked.

That bit's very telling.

I highly suspect what that means is the finance departments at those areas operated primarily in a legacy capacity, whereas Vail now wants them to do things, "the Vail way", and as such, the company thinks new blood is better, and wont have any "our way was better" preconceptions or anti Vail corporate biases. Agree that the Christmas firing is crappy, and at the very least politically tone-deaf, but what is Vail if not tone-deaf.

mbedle

it didnt even come with the choice to relocate. it came with an invitation to reapply like some putz off the street.

i get the corporate priorities at play, but doing this to people a week before xmas is fucked.

While it would suck to get the notice before Christmas, at least they have a job until spring.

machski

You missed the point.

That bit's very telling.

I highly suspect what that means is the finance departments at those areas operated primarily in a legacy capacity, whereas Vail now wants them to do things, "the Vail way", and as such, the company thinks new blood is better, and wont have any "our way was better" preconceptions or anti Vail corporate biases. Agree that the Christmas firing is crappy, and at the very least politically tone-deaf, but what is Vail if not tone-deaf.
And/or before they made the cuts in Summit county, they had pre-staffed up in Broomfield. This why no offers for direct transfer, there may not be many positions available. It would be even more harsh to offer the top few a direct transfer and just cut everyone else loose.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

abc

While it would suck to get the notice before Christmas, at least they have a job until spring.
Not sure they actually "have a job" or just being paid till spring. Otherwise, why announce it before Christmas? Unless it's to make their year end number look good on the book.

Jcb890

Debatable, run em down, see #3....

1. Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
  2. People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
  3. You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
  4. Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.
  5. Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
  6. Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
  7. Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely.
I guess I'm okay then and I can defend taking that lady out last week... :grin:

drjeff

Not sure they actually "have a job" or just being paid till spring. Otherwise, why announce it before Christmas? Unless it's to make their year end number look good on the book.

Agree. Not sure if it's a "your severance package is you get paid until Spring" or if it's a "show us what you've got, especially now that we brought a bunch of other people in similar positions from Peak, and why we should have you working in Bloomfield" situation. Or the more likely answer is that its both a combo of the above, as well as none of the above going on since us "arm chair" ski industry managers think we have more of a clue about this than we actually do! ;-):lol:

abc

us "arm chair" ski industry managers think we have more of a clue about this than we actually do! ;-):lol:
I don't know how much "ski industry" specific management is, or just corporate management bs.

I've been through a couple of big mergers. It's more like... "we don't need ALL these people from both companies, let's shake them up and see how many are left in a few months".

The moving to Bloomfield is going to hurt. But I suspect they're expecting some "natural attrition" (yes, there's such a term!) from those who doesn't want to move (and can afford not to move). So some of those who're willing to move will likely get a similar job.

No one would be surprised if the Peak people got laid off. But I think people are a bit more surprised when the original Vail people are let go.

Anyway, it sucks for those affected.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Broomfield makes perfect sense for centralized office work. Far greater talent pool there vs Summit County, yet it still has the attraction of being close enough to the Front Range for people to view the free pass as a nice perk.

Unless I owned my own business, I wouldn't want to have my family living in a tourist destination. Far too few good jobs in such a location if something goes wrong with a current employer. And I say this as someone who works remotely and could probably pull off living much closer to ski mountains than I currently do. I could easily call a place like Plymouth, NH home with my current job.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

abc

Unless I owned my own business, I wouldn't want to have my family living in a tourist destination. Far too few good jobs in such a location if something goes wrong with a current employer.
But sometimes, a good job/"right" job comes along at a desirable location. I wouldn't say no to it. I'd accept it and enjoy it WHILE IT LAST, as long as I can envision a viable "exit strategy" in case things change.