• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts.

kingslug

It seems all that ive read or heard first hand about living and working in the ski industry..is not good. Housing problems,wages,layoffs. At hunter a local who works there was complaining that all the housing is being bought and converted to air BB's. He took 2 years to find something affordable. Seems like the only ones making out these days are thoses that go to resorts to ski..

deadheadskier

Staff member
But sometimes, a good job/"right" job comes along at a desirable location. I wouldn't say no to it. I'd accept it and enjoy it WHILE IT LAST, as long as I can envision a viable "exit strategy" in case things change.
Don't you live near NYC and haven't I read of you poo pooing on Albany as a place of poor opportunity? Do you think a place like Breckenridge might afford better?

I've lived / worked in resort towns plenty. The people with sustainable working age lives with what I would qualify as having potential for a comfortable retirement were either business owners or trustafarians. The exceptions to that rule were extremely rare.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

abc

Don't you live near NYC and haven't I read of you poo pooing on Albany as a place of poor opportunity? Do you think a place like Breckenridge might afford better?
Precisely my point!

Breckenridge does NOT have good opportunities. But, if one doesn’t mind the uncertainty, and doesn’t mind the possibility of having to move, it would work out well FOR A WHILE.

Life is to be lived. Risk are sometimes taken. As long as one is prepared for the downside.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Precisely my point!

Breckenridge does NOT have good opportunities. But, if one doesn’t mind the uncertainty, and doesn’t mind the possibility of having to move, it would work out well FOR A WHILE.

Life is to be lived. Risk are sometimes taken. As long as one is prepared for the downside.
How often have you taken that risk?

abc

West coast.

Bit it it wasn’t for skiing. It’s for mountain biking (and personal relation). Though it got me started skiing the unique west coast snow and terrain too.

I don’t regret it, even though I ended up moving back east. I had a blast while there. And still landed on my feet when it’s over.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well sure. I've lived in 6 different states in the past 25 years including 4 different resort towns. I don't regret any of it either.

That being said, I'm referring specifically to someone in my circumstances today. Mid career with young kids. I'm only going to consider places where plentiful opportunities exist with good school systems that don't require moving with a job change. It's more about the disruption to my family life than me personally / professionally. So, Summit County would have little appeal compared to Denver.

abc

That being said, I'm referring specifically to someone in my circumstances today. Mid career with young kids. I'm only going to consider places where plentiful opportunities exist with good school systems that don't require moving with a job change. It's more about the disruption to my family life than me personally / professionally. So, Summit County would have little appeal compared to Denver.
That, I agree totally. With a family and young kids, it's a very different story. Especially when it comes to kids, stability is important.

That said, when I was growing up, I got moved with my family. Not a lot, but moved nonetheless. The first time was a bit rough. But then I got used to it and thrived. New school, no baggage, new start to re-invent myself. My two cousins, who were military families, LOVED their nomadic upbringing! I remember envying them for their travel when their Dad got re-deployed to different part of the country. Probably help that both of them were outgoing popular charismatic boys. Natural leaders wherever they landed.

deadheadskier

Staff member
We moved right before I went to high school. I'd actually say I enjoyed the high school experience better than where I lived prior.

That said, for me currently, the pay raise would have to be massive for me to consider changing where I am currently. Love our town, school system and if I switch jobs, I could do so easily without changing a thing with my home life.

abc

I got hit by something like 20 emails from the various Vail Corp mountains today!!!

Interestingly, when I went to unsubscribe, I was informed I will be opting out of ALL vail resort emails.

I shall see.

jaytrem

For some odd reason they sent me a 2nd set of passes. I now wonder if a 3rd set is going to show up since they recently sent me 2 emails let me know they're about to mail my passes. I just hope they all work properly. Not counting on it.

slatham

* Vail Resorts slumped after saying the North American ski
season is off to a slower start this year, confirming Wall
Street concerns.
* The shares initially sank as much as 4.9% on Friday before
paring declines; it was their biggest drop since last January’s
disappointing mid-season update
* Total skier visits were down 7.8% for the season-to-date
through Jan. 5, while lift ticket revenue was up 0.4% and ski
school revenue was up 2%
* Slower start to ski season affected both local and destination
guest visitation in pre-holiday period through Dec. 19; results
improved over holiday period excluding Whistler Blackcomb &
Stevens Pass
** Snowfall at Whistler Blackcomb was 60% below 30-year average
through Dec. 31, the lowest snowfall recorded in over 30 years
** “In recent weeks, conditions have improved at Whistler
Blackcomb with nearly all of the terrain now open.”
* Sees FY resort reported Ebitda within guidance range given
strong season pass sales

njdiver85

* Total skier visits were down 7.8% for the season-to-date
through Jan. 5,

Those missing 7.8% skier visits are probably over at Mount Snow, where they are so overwhelmed by the crowds and lift issues that they seem to have largely given up on scanning tickets or passes!

drjeff

Those missing 7.8% skier visits are probably over at Mount Snow, where they are so overwhelmed by the crowds and lift issues that they seem to have largely given up on scanning tickets or passes!

The reason for lack of scanning that the lifties keep saying is that there's an issue with the internet connectivity of the current handheld scanners, that were used by Peak, and apparently not completely patched into the EPIC system.....

My "favorite" part is that randomly, one's EPIC pass will scan as "invalid" even after it has scanned valid multiple days before, and then you get to go to guest services and get a printed ticket for the day, until the system has updated and your EPIC pass is once again reactivated in their system. That happened to my son last Saturday. He was heading for the Bluebird with me at 7:30AM for AM Express, and even after having used his EPIC pass without any problems close to 20 times since November at both Mount Snow and Okemo this season to date, it scanned as invalid, and after the liftie let us up for 1 run, we went to guest services, they printed him a ticket, and checked off some online waiver that apparently the system thought I hadn't signed for him when we bought our EPIC's (but we did), and then his pass was fine the next day.

This entire integration of Peak Passes and EPIC passes and the multiple pieces of equipment it's entailing certainly hasn't been a seamless process.....

slatham

No, it was because of:

** Snowfall at Whistler Blackcomb was 60% below 30-year average
through Dec. 31, the lowest snowfall recorded in over 30 years

dblskifanatic

7.8% that means I have to get out more to boost the numbers. Actually based on Colorado traffic, I am surprised. In four years since we have been here, I have never seen it so busy.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

7.8% that means I have to get out more to boost the numbers. Actually based on Colorado traffic, I am surprised. In four years since we have been here, I have never seen it so busy.

Note: Virtually everything where you are is either EPIC or IKON'ic. Circumstantial evidence bit #5,821.

thebigo

The reason for lack of scanning that the lifties keep saying is that there's an issue with the internet connectivity of the current handheld scanners, that were used by Peak, and apparently not completely patched into the EPIC system.....

My "favorite" part is that randomly, one's EPIC pass will scan as "invalid" even after it has scanned valid multiple days before, and then you get to go to guest services and get a printed ticket for the day, until the system has updated and your EPIC pass is once again reactivated in their system. That happened to my son last Saturday. He was heading for the Bluebird with me at 7:30AM for AM Express, and even after having used his EPIC pass without any problems close to 20 times since November at both Mount Snow and Okemo this season to date, it scanned as invalid, and after the liftie let us up for 1 run, we went to guest services, they printed him a ticket, and checked off some online waiver that apparently the system thought I hadn't signed for him when we bought our EPIC's (but we did), and then his pass was fine the next day.

This entire integration of Peak Passes and EPIC passes and the multiple pieces of equipment it's entailing certainly hasn't been a seamless process.....

I am around 30 days between the three NH properties and have not seen a single scanning issue. Indeed as someone who works with software everyday, I have thought multiple times that the integration was extraordinarily well done.