• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts.

Glenn

Really interesting development! This ended up coming up in my Google news feed early this morning that made it a point to say Mt. Snow is the closest VT ski area to CT.

#flatlander

catskillman

None of my hate was irrational. It was all accurate and depicted actual happenings and concerns.

But yes, my hate to peak resorts was based on gross mismanagement of ski areas, operations, safety, funds and general management with heads up their asses and chips on their shoulders. This will now all change. It will take some time. But will change for the better.

I’m no Vail fan boy but you can’t argue that they do ski areas right. Good changes to come to bad ski areas is a positive thing.

Safety - which you have mentioned numerous times is no more important an issue than at Hunter, and it was ignored this season resulting in 4 deaths. Everyone can't stop talking about what this means from Hunter !!!!

gladerider

already committed to ikon for next season but will def switch to epic for the following for sure

boston_e

already committed to ikon for next season but will def switch to epic for the following for sure

I wonder how many Northeast skiers will do that. At least for the greater Boston based skier, I'd still think that Killington/Pico/Sunday River/Loon/bush/Loaf/Stratton is a more appealing option than Snow/Attitash/Wildcat/Stowe/Okemo/Sunapee/Crotchet.... maybe Sunapee / Crotchet gets the nod for day trips but other than that I think the Ikon collection is better.

Newpylong

RIP Wildcat---May 2019.

Will Vail keep it the same anti-grooming/hardcore vibe?

Sad that the skiing industry is now one large company. If I were New Hampshire I'd force them to give up Wildcat. But then again I'm from Mass, and New Hampshire probably loves huge businesses taking over their state, screwing over locals.

No, but we love you coming up, buying half million dollar houses and spending money to help keep our taxes down. So keep it up! :spread:

Quietman

Yeah, the people that literally only ski at 1 place ever will pay more, but realistically I have to imagine they are relatively few in number.

I ski the Crotch for 90% of the days I ski, and got screwed when Peaks came along and will now probably get screwed again.

abc

I’m sure glad I haven’t bought anything!

But now there’s no more reason to contemplate. Epic Local it is.

Hunter is perfectly day-trip-able for me. Snow an occasional stretch. Okemo an overnighter. Stowe one more season...

Last edited:

skimagic

This deal can also affect the Connecticut Ski Council days. When Vail bought Okemo they did not partner with the ski council and no days were offered last season. I'm afraid this might happen to Mount Snow, as Mount Snow had a ton of days, plus the group discount.

Maybe more Bromley-Magic on the awareness days if this happens.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I disagree, I think Vail should have major antitrust concerns, especially in NH. Vail now owns (not just partners with) Mount Snow and Okemo (so if you leave K out, they own almost 2/3 of the Southern VT market), Stowe and in NH Crotched, Sunapee, Attitash and Wildcat. That could be trouble for them, though arguable still less than what ASC had when it was forced to divest Waterville, Cranmore and Sugarbush. We'll see I guess.

You really cannot compare Vail to Alterra in the East, where ownership of resorts is concerned. Yes, Ikon probably has more access in the East, but most of it is access only, not owned. Alterra only owns Stratton, the rest of NE is partner resorts with limited access on the Ikon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

ASC didn’t divest Sugarbush out of anti-trust concerns. They got an unsolicited bid from Win and company at a time when they needed cash and their development plans were stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member
Agreed, but Attitash did just comment on their Instagram page that there will be an announcement coming about the triple this week. Having said that, they'll probably announce "investing $X million in these resorts" and then add an on mountain restaurant.

After what we saw, the “big” announcement will likely be new chair pads for this coming season. :lol:

thetrailboss

Staff member
I ski the Crotch for 90% of the days I ski, and got screwed when Peaks came along and will now probably get screwed again.

I’m pretty sure that Peaks was the company that rebuilt Crotched. Are you talking about more than 30 years ago?

Quietman

How much was a Crotchet only pass?

Last year of Crotched only passes before peaks went with the Peaks only pass was $349(i believe). Then early bird went to $458 1st year after Peaks only , then $529 after that.

Quietman

You are correct, but Crotched was Peak's 1st eastern acquisition in the East in 2003, so there was a Crotched only pass until 2013(+/-). Then everyone was forced to the Peak's pass and I protested to management that Crotched was a local area and needed a separate pass, to no avail. Now, I am no longer in the minority, as it seems that many "local" areas will be at the new $699 rate. I wish that Vail would consider a local pass for all of the smaller hills. Just my $.02

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
This deal can also affect the Connecticut Ski Council days. When Vail bought Okemo they did not partner with the ski council and no days were offered last season. I'm afraid this might happen to Mount Snow, as Mount Snow had a ton of days, plus the group discount.

Maybe more Bromley-Magic on the awareness days if this happens.

This was the first thing I thought of when I heard this. Kinda a "niche" thing but yeah...CT ski council had Mount Snow as its biggest partner with the most awareness days of any mountain (often $50-$60 walk-up ticket rates even weekends) and CT ski council members got the Mount Snow group rate every day (another awesome deal). Okemo was also a major part of the ski council but have withdrawn from every program since Vail takeover. Not too sure what is going to happen to the ski council now unfortunately...thats two big hits within a few years that were the "core" market for CT recreational skiers.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
It's really sinking in to me how much this positively sucks as a Mount Snow daytripper who would get 5-10 days a year there. Often I could get a ticket for $40-$60 through PSIA, ski club, or just buying the online rate. Goodbye to all that!!! And they were soooo pumped to be a part of the early season game this season and said they'd be committed to doing it year-after-year in the future...almost a definite "no" to that now as well. As much as I love Killington, driving 2.75 hours to Mount Snow to ski 1,600ft top-to-bottom is much better than 3.25 hours to K to do the gondola-hike-500ft ski-hike out with the early season North Ridge operation.

It's definitely a "new game" for resort operations in a lot of ways.
1. Southern VT is "locked-in" by corporate ski corporations and $100+ lift tickets (even online) at Stratton, Mount Snow, and Okemo. Can Bromely and Magic steal some business away???
2. If Vail terminates Mount Snow's early season plan and Wildcat's late season plan does this open up the early/late game to a new player?
3. Who is Alterra going to pick up next to compete with Vail??

Very hard to believe 2 seasons ago I skied 15 days at Killington/Pico, 4 days at Mount Snow, 4 days at Sugarbush, 4 days at Stratton, 2 days at Magic, and 4 days at Okemo. Corporate ski industry has made me "commit" to one mountain or "chain" and I say f*** that. I'll get 20+ days at Killington/Pico and around 5 days at Sugarbush and Magic. I sure miss the variety. Before all this BS I'd pay $50-$60 just to "switch things up" for a daytrip or weekend but I'm not paying $100 simply to add variety.

mbedle

It's really sinking in to me how much this positively sucks as a Mount Snow daytripper who would get 5-10 days a year there. Often I could get a ticket for $40-$60 through PSIA, ski club, or just buying the online rate. Goodbye to all that!!! And they were soooo pumped to be a part of the early season game this season and said they'd be committed to doing it year-after-year in the future...almost a definite "no" to that now as well. As much as I love Killington, driving 2.75 hours to Mount Snow to ski 1,600ft top-to-bottom is much better than 3.25 hours to K to do the gondola-hike-500ft ski-hike out with the early season North Ridge operation.

It's definitely a "new game" for resort operations in a lot of ways.
1. Southern VT is "locked-in" by corporate ski corporations and $100+ lift tickets (even online) at Stratton, Mount Snow, and Okemo. Can Bromely and Magic steal some business away???
2. If Vail terminates Mount Snow's early season plan and Wildcat's late season plan does this open up the early/late game to a new player?
3. Who is Alterra going to pick up next to compete with Vail??

Very hard to believe 2 seasons ago I skied 15 days at Killington/Pico, 4 days at Mount Snow, 4 days at Sugarbush, 4 days at Stratton, 2 days at Magic, and 4 days at Okemo. Corporate ski industry has made me "commit" to one mountain or "chain" and I say f*** that. I'll get 20+ days at Killington/Pico and around 5 days at Sugarbush and Magic. I sure miss the variety. Before all this BS I'd pay $50-$60 just to "switch things up" for a daytrip or weekend but I'm not paying $100 simply to add variety.

Do you think that you might be able to ski 15 days between Mount Snow, Okemo, Sunapee, Wildcat, Attitash, Stowe, Crotched and Hunter? Seems like a lot of variety at only $46 per day. Even if you only ski 10 days at Mount Snow and Okemo, that still only going to cost you $70 per day.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

Scott skis is buying every mountain in USA and I going to put it on Mary Jane pass negotiations to buy me���� - . "It looked like me some time to realize" the ScottySkis Thank heavens we founds on conquering the ski resort industry." AZ members are breathing a sigh of relief as the everything rand narrowly avoided the oversight. e Machine will play live concert at every hills I own.

abc

If you skied more than 10 days, you can simply buy the Ikon pass and end up with the same cost per day. (if you ski more days, even lower per day)

To get variety, you switch pass each year.

In fact, if you buy an Epic pass now and buy 20/21 Ikon in March of 2020, you get to ski mountains of BOTH pass in next March/April/May. Repeat every 2 years. (you do miss K/Stratton/Sigarbush for Dec/Jan/Feb, but I can live with that)