• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts.

slatham

I suspect there will be a lot of year to year switching between passes for all but those who live on mountain. Big factor will be trips West as that will dictate which pass makes the most sense (assuming to a Epic/Ikon mountain). And if they keep the buy in March, ski rest of season, it makes tons of sense to flip each year.

fbrissette

Unless Vail is insanely desperate to make a play for the Montreal market, it looks like they will not be interested in Jay Peak now.

If Alterra buys Jay Peak, it will essentially own the Ottawa-Montreal market with its Tremblant-Jay Peak combo.

Frankly, I think that this may be the death of Burke.

Agreed. Burke is a great mountain, but it's just stuck in nowhere land. No really good reason to drive there, because there is something equivalent (or better) closer to where almost everybody lives.

slatham

If Alterra buys Jay Peak, it will essentially own the Ottawa-Montreal market with its Tremblant-Jay Peak combo.

Agreed. Burke is a great mountain, but it's just stuck in nowhere land. No really good reason to drive there, because there is something equivalent (or better) closer to where almost everybody lives.

Don't underestimate the holiday (and maybe even most Saturday's) crowds at Epic/Ikon mountains and the desire of many skiers to avoid those crowds. I'd take an uncrowded Burke over a packed *fill-in-the-blank* any day.

gladerider

I wonder how many Northeast skiers will do that. At least for the greater Boston based skier, I'd still think that Killington/Pico/Sunday River/Loon/bush/Loaf/Stratton is a more appealing option than Snow/Attitash/Wildcat/Stowe/Okemo/Sunapee/Crotchet.... maybe Sunapee / Crotchet gets the nod for day trips but other than that I think the Ikon collection is better.

agree ikon is better for the boston metro folks, but for the NYC metro people epic just became very attractive

abc

Don't forget Blue. Yes, they would have gotten the Montreal market wrapped and sealed.

I've been wondering why they haven't. It maybe the price Jay asked for is unrealistic?

thetrailboss

Staff member
You are correct, but Crotched was Peak's 1st eastern acquisition in the East in 2003, so there was a Crotched only pass until 2013(+/-). Then everyone was forced to the Peak's pass and I protested to management that Crotched was a local area and needed a separate pass, to no avail. Now, I am no longer in the minority, as it seems that many "local" areas will be at the new $699 rate. I wish that Vail would consider a local pass for all of the smaller hills. Just my $.02

Got it. That is a good reason to speak up.

cdskier

agree ikon is better for the boston metro folks, but for the NYC metro people epic just became very attractive

I guess it depends on your perspective. Are there a lot more resorts close to NYC on Epic now? Sure. But are they resorts I personally want to visit? Not really. Not sure what I would do if I was still a day-tripper and random long weekend a couple times a year skier. Maybe the NY3 pass would be my choice (along with a Sugarbush quad pack and/or a K spring pass maybe).

tnt1234

Bottom line for me, while this theoretically makes the Epic make sense with the addition of a Pokes and Catskills mountain, I still won't do it. I don't ski as much as I'd like to, so I feel like every day counts to much to feel locked in to specific mountains. Want to go where I think the best day awaits.

Only exception will be if we plan trip out west, like last year. Then the Epic is a no brainer because I usually ski 3-4 days at Stowe every year anyway.

But I wonder if anyone is talking about an 'Independents Pass'. Or 'Independence Pass!' Some kind of counter balance to Ikon/Epic. Like Magic, Platty, maybe the NY State mtns, Sugarbush, MRG, etc... marketing a shared pass or discount card.....

Newpylong

Magic, Platty, Whaleback, Bolton, etc already on Freedom Pass.

I think the shockwaves are already still too strong to see any new multi area passes this year.

tnt1234

I think the shockwaves are already still too strong to see any new multi area passes this year.

I didn't realize that. I thought the freedom pass was more NH product.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Don't underestimate the holiday (and maybe even most Saturday's) crowds at Epic/Ikon mountains and the desire of many skiers to avoid those crowds. I'd take an uncrowded Burke over a packed *fill-in-the-blank* any day.
I fall in that camp. I think when the snow is decent, Burke is the best place in VT to ski on Saturdays and Holidays. Though I haven't skied Bromley and it's been years since I have skied Magic. Pico would be second to Burke for me of VT places I have recent busy weekend experience.

Burke really isn't a bad commute from Boston. Hopefully someone figures out a way to make it work.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

The only "problem" with the Freedom pass is that you still need to buy a pass to one of the mountains and make that your primary resort (and then you only get 3 tickets to each of the others). From NYC metro, Platty is probably the closest. And a Platty pass isn't exactly cheap.

To me Freedom is a great benefit for people that already have one of the participating areas as their home resort. But that's about it.

I agree that you most likely won't see any new multi-area passes this year. Maybe Ikon could pick up a new partner or two, but even that is probably just wishful thinking.

BenedictGomez

I wish that Vail would consider a local pass for all of the smaller hills. Just my $.02

Not happening; that runs counter to their business strategy.

Can Bromely and Magic steal some business away???

Definitely. I'm not buying one of these gigantor passes, so all it does it make me likely to ski Plattekill, Magic, Smuggs, and to a lesser extent Jay Peak even more than I already do, as opposed to paying $150 for single day tickets. The question is, however, do these people gained replace the business they'll lose now to further increased EPIC sales.

I've already penciled-in Alterra as the future owner of Jay Peak, and Jay Peak being "IKONic" will make me sad. Not as sad as Smuggler's Notch being "EPIC" mind you, but still pretty sad.

ThinkSnow

Wachusett ski area is leased on state owned property. Even without that, it is highly doubtful the Crowleys would ever give up their cash cow and personal playground they love to strut around on.

ScottySkis

The only "problem" with the Freedom pass iso, Platty is probably the closest. And a Platty pass isn't exactly cheap.
+500 on plattekill season pass price is high all Catskills resort and without snow making of them and much less open days for customers I never understood this

To me Freedom. Hiii
It's really sad
Wonder if Vail Will be useful at 4 SlC mountain s

gladerider

I guess it depends on your perspective. Are there a lot more resorts close to NYC on Epic now? Sure. But are they resorts I personally want to visit? Not really. Not sure what I would do if I was still a day-tripper and random long weekend a couple times a year skier. Maybe the NY3 pass would be my choice (along with a Sugarbush quad pack and/or a K spring pass maybe).

agreed. subjective.

Stratton, Killington, Sugarbush, Loon,

vs

Stowe, Okemo, Mt. Snow, Mt. Sunapee, Wildcat, Crotched, Hunter, Attitash

these are the destinations i would hit. left out the ones that i probably won't hit. for me, addition of hunter and mt. snow is the biggest impact.
i maxed out on Stratton and Killington days last season. with hunter on the pass, i can do day trips. Stratton is not a day trip distance in my book.
i can see mixing up the two depending on which western trip i want to do. but i am leaning towards epic at this point.

BenedictGomez

What do you think the chances are the Stritzler actually sells to Vail?

Pretty high. I have to imagine Vail would want it, and I cant imagine anyone else outbidding Vail for it.

+500 on plattekill season pass price is high all Catskills resort and without snow making of them and much less open days for customers I never understood this

Me three.

Always seemed to me Platty would surpass in volume what they do in price if they lowered it. The price makes no sense to me.

BenedictGomez

Already received an email from Vail informing me there is, "New Resort Access near you for the 19/20 Season!".

I've never been an EPIC passholder, but I've skied Stowe, Park City, Vail, etc..., and they data-mine both your physical address & email address when you ski Vail Resorts properties. So they use that info in their non-passholder database & pulled it by geography to send out these prospective EPIC emails today.