Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts. - Page 89

AlpineZone

Page 89 of 98 FirstFirst ... 39798788899091 ... LastLast
Results 881 to 890 of 978
  1. #881
    Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    It is just logging, no ski potential.
    the timing seems to be more than a coincidence. Also what is cut out does not seem to be an economical way to log, that being cutting distinct veins of trees out of the side of a relatively steep slope. I'd submit this is Real Estate development possibly linking into Attitash Bear Mtn trails.


  2. #882
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,362
    Just saw a very polished, Hollywood style TV ad for the Epic pass.

    Guess I should not be surprised. Reinforces my dislike for such passes.

  3. #883
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Just saw a very polished, Hollywood style TV ad for the Epic pass.

    Guess I should not be surprised. Reinforces my dislike for such passes.
    Huh?
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  4. #884
    Newpylong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upper Valley, NH
    Posts
    3,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Gforce View Post
    the timing seems to be more than a coincidence. Also what is cut out does not seem to be an economical way to log, that being cutting distinct veins of trees out of the side of a relatively steep slope. I'd submit this is Real Estate development possibly linking into Attitash Bear Mtn trails.
    I typically do not post information unless it is first hand. It was logging for cash, and nothing more.

  5. #885
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,362
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Huh?
    Let me explain. I'm watching TV and suddenly here comes a pitch for the Epic pass. Telling me to get my Epic pass soon. Lot's of action shots from powder days out west and a short 2 second list of a few eastern resorts. Saw it several times today.

    I get it they want to sell more passes so they decided to drop some change on fancy ads. And I guess dislike is a poor word choice because none of this affects me, but if I were an Attitash skier hoping for a new summit lift or a Mt Snow skier this weekend waiting on a busted down lift I'd be pretty pissed they're spending money on fancy ads instead of infrastructure upgrades.

    More questions?

  6. #886
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    if I were an Attitash skier hoping for a new summit lift or a Mt Snow skier this weekend waiting on a busted down lift I'd be pretty pissed they're spending money on fancy ads instead of infrastructure upgrades. More questions?
    Do you get mad at Mount Snow whenever you saw one of their spots? Hunter? Deer Valley? Smuggs? Whiteface? Insert resort name here _____?

    I'm not a fan of EPIC or IKON either, but I do know marketing works, and increased profit is what does eventually does pay for things like new lifts.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  7. #887
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Let me explain. I'm watching TV and suddenly here comes a pitch for the Epic pass. Telling me to get my Epic pass soon. Lot's of action shots from powder days out west and a short 2 second list of a few eastern resorts. Saw it several times today.

    I get it they want to sell more passes so they decided to drop some change on fancy ads. And I guess dislike is a poor word choice because none of this affects me, but if I were an Attitash skier hoping for a new summit lift or a Mt Snow skier this weekend waiting on a busted down lift I'd be pretty pissed they're spending money on fancy ads instead of infrastructure upgrades.

    More questions?
    lol at not know what marketing is

  8. #888
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,362
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Do you get mad at Mount Snow whenever you saw one of their spots? Hunter? Deer Valley? Smuggs? Whiteface? Insert resort name here _____?

    I'm not a fan of EPIC or IKON either, but I do know marketing works, and increased profit is what does eventually does pay for things like new lifts.
    Guess I don't watch enough TV to have seen many ski area ads leave alone one advertising a skiing pass. It stood out for me, I guess congrats to them for grabbing my attention.

    and thanks for the marketing lesson duh.

  9. #889
    I feel like a lot of people hate Ikon/Epic because we're pretty personally tied to this sport and to certain mountains.

    I compare it to the Smalltown, USA Walmart example. If you're a local in town and you shop at Joe's Convenience Store 3 days a week year-after-year-after year you're gonna be pretty opinionated when Walmart comes to town and makes things hard for Joe and your purchasing habits change and/or are threatened by Walmart.

    But for the "average" customer at Joe's...someone who shops there maybe once a month...a skier who gets 10 days a year...do they really care about Walmart/Vail coming in? Probably not...


    I'm not going to "hate" Vail for simply existing and being a business. Now if they bought Killington and made the season November 1-May 1 I'd be livid. If they bought the local hill I work at I'd be massssively personally invested and would care enough to develop an opinion. But for me now? My skiing habits are changing but not enough that smoke will be coming out of my ears and I put that Katz CEO guy in the dictionary next to the Devil.
    2019-2020 2 days and counting...
    Killington: 11/15 Mount Snow: 11/27
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

  10. #890
    It would be an interesting exercise to try to determine which is economically better for a small town: numerous small businesses or one Walmart supercenter? Could a large and vibrant Walmart be better for the local economy than a bunch of small, stagnant businesses? I honestly don't know.
    I have a nephew who works in management for a Walmart on the rural coastline of Oregon. He's a military veteran, but without a college degree. He's a refugee from Southern California and has a beautiful lifestyle in Oregon that he would have a hard time attaining in California.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:31 PM.