Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts. - Page 91

AlpineZone

Page 91 of 98 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 ... LastLast

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmywilson69 View Post
    that's strange... I received my refund in 7 days and have yet to receive my passes... Colorado said 2-4 weeks to ship?

I asked if they were sending them carrier pigeon. they weren't amused
    Vail is not aware of a Sense of Humor that they might have!

Quote Originally Posted by catskillman View Post
    Again, read the book "Powder Burn"! This will map out the future of all the newly acquired Vail resorts.........
    Nope...don't care.

I'll stick to non-Epic areas. I don't need to worry about pinching pennies to go skiing.

With Sugarbush becoming an Ikon resort I may indeed one day be an Ikon passholder. Frankly I'm happy to see this consolidation shakeout happening now and not in 4-5 years. At that time I will own a second ski home somewhere in NE. I figure by then the consolidation will be finished and I'll be able to make an informed decision about exactly where to purchase. By then the ski areas that are going to go bankrupt because they can't compete will be complete or at least obvious.

Right now I'm looking at something between and equidistant to K and SB. Maybe be a K passholder one season and alternate with the Ikon pass every other year.

Quote Originally Posted by icecoast1 View Post
    If you are under 30, your pass price doubled to ski Mount Snow or the other peak mountains. Same at Stratton after they were bought.
    They won't work with high schools anymore either. Epic resorts want full price for the kids.

Went to my kid's ski club meeting and the events coordinator was livid about Epic, said they were rude and inflexible.

So our school district doesn't work with Epic anymore.

Inflexible is a good word to describe Vail Resorts. Regimented is another.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

A ski club we belonged to for a season got booted by Epic..so they ..don't go to Stowe anymore.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Right now I'm looking at something between and equidistant to K and SB.
    Problem is vt taxes retirement income, which can seriously add up if you plan on being retired for 20 years. I'm thinking one of the towns on the nh side of the river between lebanon and littleton. NH seniors ski cannon for free midweek, K spring pass is cheap and the drive is not too far, world class medical care at dhmc and they are building a market basket in plymouth. The mb may sound minimal if you are used to vermont grocery prices but I will bet you this alone will save at least $5k / year, I was shocked at the grocery prices in rutland last year.
    The true happiness of a man can be found in the mastery of his passions.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigo View Post
    Problem is vt taxes retirement income, which can seriously add up if you plan on being retired for 20 years. I'm thinking one of the towns on the nh side of the river between lebanon and littleton. NH seniors ski cannon for free midweek, K spring pass is cheap and the drive is not too far, world class medical care at dhmc and they are building a market basket in plymouth. The mb may sound minimal if you are used to vermont grocery prices but I will bet you this alone will save at least $5k / year, I was shocked at the grocery prices in rutland last year.
    The choices are between VT and NH. We keep going back and forth.

I could just as easily see us somewhere between Cannon and Wildcat. Except then I would need an Epic pass for Wildcat so right now VT has the edge.

When you say VT taxes retirement income do you mean any income including capital gains and social security? I'm guessing yes and that would be a major disincentive to move there.

I could just as easily see us somewhere between Cannon and Wildcat. Except then I would need an Epic pass for Wildcat so right now VT has the edge.

When you say VT taxes retirement income do you mean any income including capital gains and social security? I'm guessing yes and that would be a major disincentive to move there.
    Vermont taxes everything pretty heavily. Regular income tax rates on both social security and capital gains (less a 5k exclusion)/retirement income.

I'd look at the area between Hanover and Littleton as well myself. All the untouched & un-commercialized beauty of VT and none of the tax pitfalls. It is really a pretty unique area of NH in that regard and isn't overly done up like North Conway or Lincoln. Plus the good healthcare.

You'd be a good hour or so from Wildcat but Cannon is better IMO, although with a smaller season.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

MB will certainly save a boatload - we estimate $75 per week in savings over S&S, and other mainstream large companies - never mind WHole Paycheck.

This site is a bit dated, but its close.
    https://www.howmoneywalks.com/new-ha...ate-tax-plans/

Property tax does have high rates in NH, but unless you are on water ( and maybe have the 'view' tax) values in NH are much more reasonable than VT.

That said, I have a second in VT for one reason: MRV and better snow - lake effect, lack of crowds, and good vibe, great terrain, on and on.

It may not be forever - when I'm too old and creaky to ski castlerock or MRG or Ext Woods et al, NH looks to be my destination.

A simple avg of say Waterville ( 140" annually) to Bush ( 250" not including lake effect or upslope) less crowds in the places I like to go, and sure there's no comparison between the two - just same elevation.

I look at it like Wasatch grabbing snow before it hits Colorado on a smaller scale. But 30 years of travelling to both - never a true snow deficit in the 'Tah, some boney weeks in Summit County tho. . . . same thing.

My property taxes have doubled since purchase in '03. Means less now than when on a fixed income in retirement. I hope never to have to do that. Soon as one stops being productive, it seems to take away some part of youth. But thats just me.

Knowing your summer passion, maybe look at Mascoma lake in Enfield, NH. About an hour to both K and Cannon. 90 minutes to Sugarbush or Burke. And when the snow is good you've got Whaleback 10 minutes away. Whaleback is as old school, anti-corporate as it gets. Super fun terrain for a little ski area. Hanover/West Lebanon about 10-15 minutes away with all the services you'll ever need.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thread Information