• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts.

thebigo

Wildcat has sucked countless extra rounds out of me over the years by placing the nicest bathrooms in the lodge on the third story next to the bar.

So Inclined

Wildcat has sucked countless extra rounds out of me over the years by placing the nicest bathrooms in the lodge on the third story next to the bar.

Kinda the same set-up, on a smaller (sounds funny, 'cause Wildcat's lodge is hardly monumental in size, but it's true) scale at Plattekill. Basement bathrooms, 1st floor caff, bar up another flight. Happily there's another can plus an upstairs exit at Platty too - as well as Zywiec. I've long found it curious that both Belle and Plattekill served that in their bars, but my partly-Polish dupa ain't complaining.

FBGM

About 6 months now till we thin the beard and fire the low hanging useless managers. Party time.

Gforce

Is Vail expanding Attitash???

The acquisition closed on September 23, just days later a significant timber clearing operation began west of the Wandering Skis trail. As of today there are large tracks of trees taken out selectively well up the slope. It looks like either ski trails and/or clearing for mountain side development. Nothing in the local papers nor is anything filed with the Carroll county or Town of Bartlett. This is now Vail owned land and not Nat Forest property.

Anyone know whats up ??

machski

Is Vail expanding Attitash???

The acquisition closed on September 23, just days later a significant timber clearing operation began west of the Wandering Skis trail. As of today there are large tracks of trees taken out selectively well up the slope. It looks like either ski trails and/or clearing for mountain side development. Nothing in the local papers nor is anything filed with the Carroll county or Town of Bartlett. This is now Vail owned land and not Nat Forest property.

Anyone know whats up ??
Vail tends to ride out new acquisitions before doing anything radical. Anything that is happening now would have to have been driven by Peaks or an independent development.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

thebigo

I'd say doubtful. From what I saw they were only making snow on Upper Lynx so far.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Temps at the base look very positive later this week and it is a long weekend. Daughter and I are going to start our season on friday at k, would be nice to finish the weekend at the cat on monday.

Edit - it is possible I am seeing things but upper polecat sure looks white on the webcam and their most recent picture on FB looks more like PC than lynx. Not that it helps them get open any sooner but would be a different rollout.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Temps at the base look very positive later this week and it is a long weekend. Daughter and I are going to start our season on friday at k, would be nice to finish the weekend at the cat on monday.

Edit - it is possible I am seeing things but upper polecat sure looks white on the webcam and their most recent picture on FB looks more like PC than lynx. Not that it helps them get open any sooner but would be a different rollout.
I just looked and think what you are seeing is the very top of middle Lynx. Looks like they've made snow from summit down to the top of the Tomcat chair. You can't really see Polecat from the base Webcam. Also they've only listed or talked about Upper Lynx and Lynx Lair getting snowmaking so far.

They might get lucky with enough cold weather, but they typically don't rush things. They blow and let things drain for at least 24 hours before grooming it out. Given the acreage of Lynx, I bet it needs a solid 36 hours of snowmaking under good temps, then 24 hours to drain after. Then the groom out. If they can't get that done for a Sunday opening, I don't see them opening just Monday even though it's a holiday.

Maybe, but doubtful is my take on this weekend.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

My families upgraded Epic Local passes arrived in the mail today. Took about 3 weeks from when my wife made the call to Vail Resorts the Tuesday after Columbus Day for them to arrive

KustyTheKlown

yea im really surprised they arent getting mount snow or okemo open this weekend.

i also saw a post yesterday where breck is already confirming that they will be open memorial day weekend. i suspect this is directly a result of losing a-basin and their long season

icecoast1

yea im really surprised they arent getting mount snow or okemo open this weekend.

i also saw a post yesterday where breck is already confirming that they will be open memorial day weekend. i suspect this is directly a result of losing a-basin and their long season

Mount Snow could still open Saturday. They have a couple of nights of solid snowmaking temps coming up

cdskier

With SR opening tomorrow, the score in the east goes to:

Ikon: 2
Vail: 0

Technically more like:
Ikon Partners: 2
Alterra owned resorts: 0
Vail owned resorts: 0

Not that it matters a huge deal to Ikon passholders whether the resort is owned by Alterra or just a partner (other than the limited number of days you have at each partner per season). Personally I'd have a hard time justifying using an Ikon day to ski only a couple trails so early in the season, but that's me. I get it that some people just want to get out there no matter what.

drjeff

Mount Snow could still open Saturday. They have a couple of nights of solid snowmaking temps coming up

Based on the product they typically have ready for opening day, and looking objectively at their webcams now (or atleast before the flurries started flying on their summit cam this morning) and the likely temps they're going to have around, the "GOOD" snowmaking window arrives sometime this evening. Realistically they're going to need about a 48hr run to get enough product down to connect the piles with enough base. Saturday becomes a bit of a stretch. Sunday would seem more reasonable if they're going to open this weekend.

If next weeks temps play out as predicted, and they hold off opening until next weekend, you could be looking at multiple routes down multiple faces for an opening. I guess we'll be seeing in the next day or so how much Vail Resorts does or doesn't want to "play" into the early opening game in the Northeast.....

thebigo

Technically more like:
Ikon Partners: 2
Alterra owned resorts: 0
Vail owned resorts: 0

Not that it matters a huge deal to Ikon passholders whether the resort is owned by Alterra or just a partner (other than the limited number of days you have at each partner per season). Personally I'd have a hard time justifying using an Ikon day to ski only a couple trails so early in the season, but that's me. I get it that some people just want to get out there no matter what.

Ikon is not a viable standalone option for families that ski 50 - 100 days per years, it would need to be paired with a local hill. For our family Ragged/Ikon is cost competitive with our current approach: epic/k spring and early season k online tickets.