• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts.

spiderpig

I talked to Mount Snow with this same issue and they indicated that until you get your refund, your peak pass will still be active. So congrats you now own two season passes! Doesnt it feel great!? (Coming from someone still waiting on my refunds from an Oct 23 upgrade date)

I ended up with one Okemo pass and three Epic passes last season. Very efficient. First Epic was at the resort on the first day, other two came in the mail a few weeks apart.

machski

I agree to some extent that this year vs next year may be different. I also know that Rob Katz wants to keep selling a bunch of Epic passes, and to some extent, that means that he has to pay some attention to what his main competitor, IKON is doing. That played out to some extent in Colorado this year, where to counter the early opening that ABasin gave IKON pass holders, Vail Resorts spent the money to upgrade Keystone's snowmaking capabilities and opened them early as well.

With the now much more significant presence in the Eastern market that acquiring the Peak Resorts gave Vail, and with Killington and Sunday River both currently on IKON and known early season players, I would suspect that Vail, to keep their pass attractive to the Eastern market, especially for those who waiver back and forth between Epic and IKON, that they will choose to have some presence in the Early season market. Given their snowmaking system's capability, and proximity to both the Boston and New York metro markets, my hunch is that even in year 2 and beyond of Vail ownership, that Mount Snow atleast will have some presence in the Eastern early season game to keep the early season demand of the Epic passholder crew satisfied.
I kind of agree with you drjeff. The one hitch is that SR and K are not full Ikon pass partners (IE passholders only get 5/7 days and so choosing to burn a couple early season then limits their visits in peak season there). So Vail could consider their openings to be a non-competitor to the Epic pass. Colorado was/is different as A-Basin was a full Epic partner and has been known to be the big early season player and a huge draw since they installed their snowmaking system over a decade ago. And that was built up on the Epic, so CO skiers on Epic became accustomed to that early season product as well as their late season product.

In the end, I think you are right and Vail will play in the early and late season arena. My early call is like you, only Mount Snow early season (though they may keep Hunter in that game too so as to not overwhelm Mount Snow's early season skier capacity and split NYC traffic) and my early call for the late game would be Wildcat simply due to its elevation and snow holding abilities. Time will answer a lot of the changes that have come in the last 4 months to the ski scene in NE.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Funky_Catskills

I see that....

Most of them WERE Hunter people at one time and bought into the town being nicer over the mountain being more challenging.. Now they "moved on up" and won't shut up about how it's better than Hunter. It's OK.. I just go to Windham for food..

So Inclined

I think jimmy heuga is getting some love now too..

Perhaps they're already blowing on or planning to blow on the new (and improved?) White Cloud, which intersects with and actually takes over Jimmie, giving another intermediate TTB run right from the start?* Praise be if that's what they're doing.

*As I heard it, the lower part of Jimmie (with the rock face running skier's right) is now White Cloud.

danimals

Probably open by 9am.. A couple trails open from top 2 bottom..

If hunter only has one route down I might do the same. It all depends on how I feel when I get to the hunter exit on the thruway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
If hunter only has one route down I might do the same. It all depends on how I feel when I get to the hunter exit on the thruway

They will have 2 ways down off the top. Not too shabby. BY Saturday, I would say thats 4 off the top. Impressive...Like the Good old days of Orville and Izzy.

danimals

They will have 2 ways down off the top. Not too shabby. BY Saturday, I would say thats 4 off the top. Impressive...Like the Good old days of Orville and Izzy.

If that’s the case, that works for me. Weather looks decent for expansion coming up. I know that means we will usually pay for it December and January but here’s to hoping the thaw goes easy this year.

thebigo

Very surprised to find new bathrooms at the kitty this morning, old ones dated to my childhood. Also trail rollout is different, blowing on bobcat instead of polecat second.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Very surprised to find new bathrooms at the kitty this morning, old ones dated to my childhood. Also trail rollout is different, blowing on bobcat instead of polecat second.
Both the bar bathrooms and the basement?

I saw Bobcat on the snowmaking report. Probably makes sense to get a second TTB route open via Catapult/Bobcat vs Polecat. Takes less snow to do so

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
Yep me too, Windham food Hunter Ski, now if Hunter can get the town up to par for food also..................!!

Most of them WERE Hunter people at one time and bought into the town being nicer over the mountain being more challenging.. Now they "moved on up" and won't shut up about how it's better than Hunter. It's OK.. I just go to Windham for food..

Funky_Catskills

Opening day Hunter was sweet!!! Gorgeous day!! Groomed perfectly.. Opened RIGHT at 9AM.. Gave us socks that say Hunter.. HBK and Belt were opened. Snowmaking on Juega and Whitecloud.

I'm puttting a check in the win column for Vail... Well done!!! Now time to get to work..

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Opening day Hunter was sweet!!! Gorgeous day!! Groomed perfectly.. Opened RIGHT at 9AM.. Gave us socks that say Hunter.. HBK and Belt were opened. Snowmaking on Juega and Whitecloud.

I'm puttting a check in the win column for Vail... Well done!!! Now time to get to work..

Sounds good. It always felt like since Peak took over, it was under funded and under staffed. Sounds better already!

thebigo

Both the bar bathrooms and the basement?

I saw Bobcat on the snowmaking report. Probably makes sense to get a second TTB route open via Catapult/Bobcat vs Polecat. Takes less snow to do so

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Per patrol, while waiting for first chair, their was an airline rupture on polecat. They have switched to the other side until PC can be repaired.

Basement bathrooms have new stalls, shitters and countertops. Havent checked the bar bathrooms, still working on my first jack of the season. I may be crazy but I can actually see through water and it tastes like normal tap water.

Edit: bar bathrooms are unchanged

Last edited: