Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts. - Page 26

AlpineZone

Page 26 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    The fact that the press release indicates that they have already earmarked $15 million for improvements at their eastern resorts over the next two years belies abc's claim that Vail will not invest in its eastern mountains for fear of competing with its western resorts.
    $15M over 2 years split between 17 resorts is sort of weak in all honesty. Obviously it won’t be distributed equally, but still that number doesn’t impress me without any details on what they have in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    $15M over 2 years split between 17 resorts is sort of weak in all honesty. Obviously it won’t be distributed equally, but still that number doesn’t impress me without any details on what they have in mind.

I forgot to mention this, but it's true. I could identify $15 million of spending that Vail should seriously consider in the MWV alone.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Ski season is always too short

Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post
    I still think the driving force for your casual & wealthy skiers to the new Epic pass is an east and west resort option under one umbrella. There is just a massive amount of wealthy casual skiers up for grabs from NJ through suburban NH with the east-west value proposition. Remember, for those in parts of the NYC metro, it's easier (albeit more $$$) to get on a plane to PC than it is to drive to Stowe.
    Yeah, I just wonder how many of these wealthy casual skiers would even care about eastern pass options. If your primary focus is on skiing out west, then what matters most to you is what western resort you want to ski at, rather than what eastern mountains are offered on the same pass. If you prefer Jackson or Aspen over Vail, you'll get an Ikon pass even if you'd prefer skiing Stowe over Killington or whatever the comparable Ikon offering is.

If Vail's motivation was ONLY to drive skiers to Vail, they would not offer the EPIC pass. Each local hill they own would have its own pass that was good for that local hill and Vail only.

True. I assume it will be funneled mainly to Stowe and the other top destination resorts. But however you slice it, no amount of investment in Stowe or any other eastern resort is going to cause someone not to decide that a ski trip out west is not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    If Vail's motivation was ONLY to drive skiers to Vail, they would not offer the EPIC pass. Each local hill they own would have its own pass that was good for that local hill and Vail only.

Well said.

One thing that I have noticed is in the last two years or so Vail has reigned in its spending on improvements. In 2015 when the finally got their hands on Park City they dumped a TON of money into that area. Since then though they have only made some modest improvements. And, as I mentioned with Crested Butte, even though there are a lot of older lifts that need replacing, Vail has opted for a less expensive fixed-grip lift instead of multiple high speed lifts.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Yeah, I just wonder how many of these wealthy casual skiers would even care about eastern pass options. If your primary focus is on skiing out west, then what matters most to you is what western resort you want to ski at, rather than what eastern mountains are offered on the same pass. If you prefer Jackson or Aspen over Vail, you'll get an Ikon pass even if you'd prefer skiing Stowe over Killington or whatever the comparable Ikon offering is.
    Understood - short guess is that the casual fan is likely to lack that level of conviction. Vail has big name resorts, and I think most people are fine to just pick one (unless their brother has a place at Jackson, for example). A week "out west" and maybe a week or a couple of weekends "in Vermont" is about as specific as you need to get. Only the full ikon gets you unlimited access to a US east coast resort (Stratton) while Vail now has many more options thanks to Peak. The simplicity and variety of Epic and Epic Local passes provide compelling value.

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    One thing that I have noticed is in the last two years or so Vail has reigned in its spending on improvements. In 2015 when the finally got their hands on Park City they dumped a TON of money into that area. Since then though they have only made some modest improvements. And, as I mentioned with Crested Butte, even though there are a lot of older lifts that need replacing, Vail has opted for a less expensive fixed-grip lift instead of multiple high speed lifts.
    True, but remember they did the same at Whistler that they did at PC.

True. I assume it will be funneled mainly to Stowe and the other top destination resorts. But however you slice it, no amount of investment in Stowe or any other eastern resort is going to cause someone not to decide that a ski trip out west is not worth it.
    Since the announcement was included in the press release on the peaks acquisition, I would expect none of that $15m to go to Stowe.

Thread Information