• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts.

skiur

A week is from Sunday to Saturday. Some of those weeks after pres day are still profitable.

slatham

Nydb said Every week after Presidents’ Day not every weekend. Reading comprehension

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Yes I got that, but the money is made over the weekend so its the weekend that drives whether the week has been profitable or not.

GregoryIsaacs

Also would like to mention that when Mount Snow opens, they dont require any "stairway to hell".

That stairway made me a one-and-doner for the whole Killington early season shitshow. Dont see how that will change any time soon

2Planker

I would agree with you if they could open just up top. But they need to make snow at 2,000', same base elevation as Mt Snow. And they need to cover 2,000' of vertical vs 1,500'. And if I recall, Wildcat cannot make snow simultaneously top-to-bottom.

And this ignores the theoretical situation where Mt Snow opens only Canyon (even less vertical) or the North Face (less vertical, higher base elevation).

Mt Snow wins based on output.

Sure.....

Just look at the stats. Mt Snow has NEVER opened before Wildcat.
And we'll be skiing Top to Bottom while you're all downloading IF lucky.

Wager is Burger w/ Beer

cdskier

Sure.....

Just look at the stats. Mt Snow has NEVER opened before Wildcat.
And we'll be skiing Top to Bottom while you're all downloading IF lucky.

Wager is Burger w/ Beer

Well I was curious so I did just look at the stats. In 2016 Mt Snow opened on November 23rd while Wildcat opened on November 24th. So much for "never".

In 2017 and 2018 they both opened the same days each year (November 11th in 2017 and October 27th in 2018 ). Also, fwiw, last year on opening day Mt Snow had the most open skiable terrain in the entire east.

drjeff

Additionally, it was in 2006 if I recall, the year Peak bought Mount Snow and installed the fan guns, they went big early, and I'm pretty sure only Sunday River and Mount Snow were open for the 1st week or 2 of the season
Well I was curious so I did just look at the stats. In 2016 Mt Snow opened on November 23rd while Wildcat opened on November 24th. So much for "never".

In 2017 and 2018 they both opened the same days each year (November 11th in 2017 and October 27th in 2018 ). Also, fwiw, last year on opening day Mt Snow had the most open skiable terrain in the entire east.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

2Planker

I looked it up too, so maybe not Never, but certainly MOST years for the 35+ years I've worked in the industry Wildcat opened before Mt Snow.

Those stats are actually not 100% correct as we skied 2 days before they were open according to your 2016 stats. 11/22 was a "soft opening" and 11/23/16 was Game On

No worries
Bet is still on: Put your $$ where your mouth is.....

Last edited:

cdskier

I looked it up too, so maybe not Never, but certainly MOST years for the 35+ years I've worked in the industry Wildcat opened before Mt Snow.

Those stats are actually not 100% correct as we skied 2 days before they were open according to your 2016 stats. 11/22 was a "soft opening" and 11/23/16 was Game On

No worries
Bet is still on: Put your $$ where your mouth is.....

They also only upgraded their snowmaking system a few years ago (2016 might have been the first year to show it off). So anything before that definitely goes to Wildcat with the geographical advantage. That snowmaking upgrade negated that Wildcat advantage though and leveled the playing field between the two.

The real question though is what Vail will choose to do once they begin making decisions. This year will be business as usual and I'd expect both to open roughly the same date. Next year will be much more telling. Personally I don't care one way or the other as I don't ski at either resort. Still will be interesting to see what kind of decisions Vail makes once they're calling the shots.

jaytrem

Does it count if MS only opens the Discovery chair? They've done that a few times with the money going to charity, but didn't call it the official opening.

thebigo

As much as I hope wildcat opens asap and I have no use for mt snow you can get an idea of what the mtns are thinking by their early ticket offerings. Snow is offering early buy tickets for the last week of oct, cat for the 2nd week of nov. With that said lynx top to bottom destroys any other early season offering. Wildcats best chance is early season natural while it rains everywhere else.

2Planker

They also only upgraded their snowmaking system a few years ago (2016 might have been the first year to show it off). So anything before that definitely goes to Wildcat with the geographical advantage. That snowmaking upgrade negated that Wildcat advantage though and leveled the playing field between the two.

The real question though is what Vail will choose to do once they begin making decisions. This year will be business as usual and I'd expect both to open roughly the same date. Next year will be much more telling. Personally I don't care one way or the other as I don't ski at either resort. Still will be interesting to see what kind of decisions Vail makes once they're calling the shots.

Actually Peaks upgraded Wildcat Snowmaking the year before Mt Snow...

https://www.visitwhitemountains.com...ations-pushing-for-top-to-bottom-opening-soon

Newpylong

Keep in mind Wildcat's upgrade was not about capacity, but reliability. When their upper mountain booster failed, they lost the upper mountain pipe. So they had to replace the booster station, and the pipe, and did a lot more pipe while they were at it. Mount Snow's upgrade was all about capacity - per acre, they pretty much have the most powerful system in the Northeast now.

slatham

Well one's things for sure - we'll know the winner in 6-10 weeks assuming no weather disaster (long range hold very little promise for a mid October miracle).

And for the record, I believe Mt Snow will beat or tie Wildcat.

2Planker

With that said lynx top to bottom destroys any other early season offering.

True That !!! No one else can offer Top to Bottom on Day #1

Very interested to see see if Vail lets Wildcat do what they've always done OR if they only go w/ one place early...

Yes. as usual Temps will be the key !!

Last edited:

drjeff

True That !!! No one else can offer Top to Bottom on Day #1

Very interested to see see if Vail lets Wildcat do what they've always done OR if they only go w/ one place early...

Yes. as usual Temps will be the key !!

Umm, the other resort prominently mentioned in this discussion, Mount Snow, has opened top to bottom for 15+ years now, and not just top to bottom on the Northface