Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts. - Page 60

AlpineZone

Page 60 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Planker View Post
    Wanna bet ???

Wildcat already has it sights set on an October opening day

w/ elevation of 4,000' probably a couple weeks ahead of Flatland Mt Snow....
    And 1/3 the pumping and air capacity and 4 times the acreage needed to open as Mount Snow. At some point elevation cancels these advantages out, but not in this case. One North Face run can be opened in 16 hrs of decent wet bulb if they want to, w/downloading. They have the capacity, equipment and hydrant density in place on Free Fall to do so. But is there a will? We shall see.
    Last edited by Newpylong; Sep 10, 2019 at 12:45 PM.

Wanna bet ???

I'll take that bet!

As Newpylong pointed out quite correctly, it's the "will" (or the lack of) that determine late closing, when customers are thin at best.

Early season is important for marketing reason. Mountain that are first to open when the air starts to chill will be front and center on one-week-a-year skiers planning for their yearly ski vacation! So I agree Vail will likely milk Mt Snow for what it's worth.

Does anyone know if Mount Snow makes money that final week they're open in April?

Because Vail doesn't care about anyone's "feelings", and isnt going to lose significant money if it's a big loser. If it makes money or perhaps even breaks even, I imagine it will stay, if not, as we've seen with some other Vail properties, your season is likely getting shortened at least a little bit.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Does anyone know if Mount Snow makes money that final week they're open in April?

Because Vail doesn't care about anyone's "feelings", and isnt going to lose significant money if it's a big loser. If it makes money or perhaps even breaks even, I imagine it will stay, if not, as we've seen with some other Vail properties, your season is likely getting shortened at least a little bit.
    Not sure about money loss.
    I know they close Monday to Friday before final weekends.
    To me running a ski hill 1 last weekend to make people happy give me more reason to spend money their. I don't understand if MountainSnow makes $ all winter which they Due then staying open an extra week end or 2 should also.

If you are talking about cash flow, All mountains lose money every week they are open after presidents week.

Sent from my SM-G973U using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by NY DirtBag View Post
    If you are talking about cash flow, All mountains lose money every week they are open after presidents week.

Sent from my SM-G973U using AlpineZone mobile app

Got any proof of that? I could agree that most ski resorts lose money most weekends after presidents day, but to say all lose money every weekend is just not true.

Quote Originally Posted by skiur View Post
    Got any proof of that? I could agree that most ski resorts lose money most weekends after presidents day, but to say all lose money every weekend is just not true.
    Agreed. There have been many weekends post Presidents where ski areas make money. Maybe not your "typical" weekend, but certainly the good ones.

I do agree that unless its a special weekend (sun and/or powder) once past mid March its a tough one. But again, I have heard that on a direct cost basis Killington can make money even in May.
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Not a chance in hell Mt Snow is not making money after Feb vacation weeks are over. They have a huge customer base that keeps coming until mid March and the college crowd shows up towards the end of the month. The F&B side of the biz makes a solid profit every weekend as well.

2014-2015
    11/3- Sunday River
    11/9- Bretton Woods
    12/13- Bretton Woods
    1/18- Wachusett
    1/25- Watatic
    1/29- Wachusett

www.skibigsquaw.com

Wanna bet ???

I would agree with you if they could open just up top. But they need to make snow at 2,000', same base elevation as Mt Snow. And they need to cover 2,000' of vertical vs 1,500'. And if I recall, Wildcat cannot make snow simultaneously top-to-bottom.

And this ignores the theoretical situation where Mt Snow opens only Canyon (even less vertical) or the North Face (less vertical, higher base elevation).

Mt Snow wins based on output.
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Nydb said Every week after Presidents’ Day not every weekend. Reading comprehension

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

Thread Information