• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts.

BenedictGomez

Frankly, you do not know of which you speak on these matters.

Yeah, actually I think I do. I've been involved with offloading an AP department to India, and it saves a ****ton of money. And if your "contractors" are having to even so much as have a single conversation with some dude in Mumbai as you suggest, you completely screwed-up & are doing it wrong. You're also doing it wrong if you have a huge HR presence in 2019, but I digress....

And as I said, I know nothing of Vails internals, but I'd be shocked if MOST (notice I used that word and didnt speak in absolutes) of the non ski-related operational roles & certainly the bigger roles dont move to Colorado.

Last edited:

FBGM

Wonder what Mt Snows new opening and closing dates will be? This year will
Be same ol shit - but with the Vail change next year -

I think Thanksgiving weekend or maybe week before for open. Closing 2ed week April.

drjeff

Wonder what Mt Snows new opening and closing dates will be? This year will
Be same ol shit - but with the Vail change next year -

I think Thanksgiving weekend or maybe week before for open. Closing 2ed week April.

So in other words, short of a couple of years when they were able to open up early and a few years when they were able to stay open late, it's likely going to be a season length, like most of us Mount Snow regulars have come to expect... Which on average has been the 3rd weekend in November through the 2nd weekend in April

skiur

I would expect that they would want one eastern resort on the epic pass to open early and Mt Snow seems like it would be the best of the eastern epic resorts to do that.

2Planker

I would expect that they would want one eastern resort on the epic pass to open early and Mt Snow seems like it would be the best of the eastern epic resorts to do that.

Actually it would be Wildcat "Always first to open & last to close in NH"
It usually has 3-4 week longer season than any southern VT resort. Usual closing date is in May

drjeff

Actually it would be Wildcat "Always first to open & last to close in NH"
It usually has 3-4 week longer season than any southern VT resort. Usual closing date is in May

If Vail wants to just open 1 resort "early" in the East, geographically, Mount Snow is far closer to the NYC population base than Wildcat is. Time will tell if Vail wants to try and get a property(ies) open in Early November to compete with the IKON options, and if they do, how they'll go about that.

No doubt, Wildcat has plenty of early and late season advantages over Mount Snow, however Mount Snow has a geographical advantage over Wildcat when it comes to proximity to BOTH the New York and Boston population centers, and that may (or may not) play into any early season plans that time will see if Vail Resorts has for the East...

2Planker

If Vail wants to just open 1 resort "early" in the East, geographically, Mount Snow is far closer to the NYC population base than Wildcat is. Time will tell if Vail wants to try and get a property(ies) open in Early November to compete with the IKON options, and if they do, how they'll go about that.

No doubt, Wildcat has plenty of early and late season advantages over Mount Snow, however Mount Snow has a geographical advantage over Wildcat when it comes to proximity to BOTH the New York and Boston population centers, and that may (or may not) play into any early season plans that time will see if Vail Resorts has for the East...

Except that that same geography means there IS NO SNOW after about the first week in April..

We'll see....
I predict Wildcat will outlast Mt Snow by 2-3 weeks at least....

cdskier

Except that that same geography means there IS NO SNOW after about the first week in April..

We'll see....

I could see them making Mt Snow the early player and Wildcat the late player in their portfolio in the east (that is if they want to be in that game at all).

skiur

We'll see....

Wildcat would be their late season resort, so I agree that wildcat will outlast mt snow, but Mt snow will be the first to open of the epic east resorts.

2Planker

Wanna bet ???

Wildcat already has it sights set on an October opening day :)

w/ elevation of 4,000' probably a couple weeks ahead of Flatland Mt Snow....

Newpylong

Wanna bet ???

And 1/3 the pumping and air capacity and 4 times the acreage needed to open as Mount Snow. At some point elevation cancels these advantages out, but not in this case. One North Face run can be opened in 16 hrs of decent wet bulb if they want to, w/downloading. They have the capacity, equipment and hydrant density in place on Free Fall to do so. But is there a will? We shall see.

Last edited:

abc

Wanna bet ???

I'll take that bet!

As Newpylong pointed out quite correctly, it's the "will" (or the lack of) that determine late closing, when customers are thin at best.

Early season is important for marketing reason. Mountain that are first to open when the air starts to chill will be front and center on one-week-a-year skiers planning for their yearly ski vacation! So I agree Vail will likely milk Mt Snow for what it's worth.

BenedictGomez

Does anyone know if Mount Snow makes money that final week they're open in April?

Because Vail doesn't care about anyone's "feelings", and isnt going to lose significant money if it's a big loser. If it makes money or perhaps even breaks even, I imagine it will stay, if not, as we've seen with some other Vail properties, your season is likely getting shortened at least a little bit.

ScottySkis

Does anyone know if Mount Snow makes money that final week they're open in April?

Because Vail doesn't care about anyone's "feelings", and isnt going to lose significant money if it's a big loser. If it makes money or perhaps even breaks even, I imagine it will stay, if not, as we've seen with some other Vail properties, your season is likely getting shortened at least a little bit.

Not sure about money loss.
I know they close Monday to Friday before final weekends.
To me running a ski hill 1 last weekend to make people happy give me more reason to spend money their. I don't understand if MountainSnow makes $ all winter which they Due then staying open an extra week end or 2 should also.

skiur

If you are talking about cash flow, All mountains lose money every week they are open after presidents week.

Sent from my SM-G973U using AlpineZone mobile app

Got any proof of that? I could agree that most ski resorts lose money most weekends after presidents day, but to say all lose money every weekend is just not true.

slatham

Got any proof of that? I could agree that most ski resorts lose money most weekends after presidents day, but to say all lose money every weekend is just not true.

Agreed. There have been many weekends post Presidents where ski areas make money. Maybe not your "typical" weekend, but certainly the good ones.

I do agree that unless its a special weekend (sun and/or powder) once past mid March its a tough one. But again, I have heard that on a direct cost basis Killington can make money even in May.

sull1102

Not a chance in hell Mt Snow is not making money after Feb vacation weeks are over. They have a huge customer base that keeps coming until mid March and the college crowd shows up towards the end of the month. The F&B side of the biz makes a solid profit every weekend as well.

slatham

Wanna bet ???

I would agree with you if they could open just up top. But they need to make snow at 2,000', same base elevation as Mt Snow. And they need to cover 2,000' of vertical vs 1,500'. And if I recall, Wildcat cannot make snow simultaneously top-to-bottom.

And this ignores the theoretical situation where Mt Snow opens only Canyon (even less vertical) or the North Face (less vertical, higher base elevation).

Mt Snow wins based on output.