Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts. - Page 12

AlpineZone

Page 12 of 68 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    Don't underestimate the holiday (and maybe even most Saturday's) crowds at Epic/Ikon mountains and the desire of many skiers to avoid those crowds. I'd take an uncrowded Burke over a packed *fill-in-the-blank* any day.
    I fall in that camp. I think when the snow is decent, Burke is the best place in VT to ski on Saturdays and Holidays. Though I haven't skied Bromley and it's been years since I have skied Magic. Pico would be second to Burke for me of VT places I have recent busy weekend experience.

Burke really isn't a bad commute from Boston. Hopefully someone figures out a way to make it work.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    Magic, Platty, Whaleback, Bolton, etc already on Freedom Pass.

I think the shockwaves are already still too strong to see any new multi area passes this year.
    The only "problem" with the Freedom pass is that you still need to buy a pass to one of the mountains and make that your primary resort (and then you only get 3 tickets to each of the others). From NYC metro, Platty is probably the closest. And a Platty pass isn't exactly cheap.

To me Freedom is a great benefit for people that already have one of the participating areas as their home resort. But that's about it.

I agree that you most likely won't see any new multi-area passes this year. Maybe Ikon could pick up a new partner or two, but even that is probably just wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Quietman View Post
    I wish that Vail would consider a local pass for all of the smaller hills. Just my $.02
    Not happening; that runs counter to their business strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    Can Bromely and Magic steal some business away???
    Definitely. I'm not buying one of these gigantor passes, so all it does it make me likely to ski Plattekill, Magic, Smuggs, and to a lesser extent Jay Peak even more than I already do, as opposed to paying $150 for single day tickets. The question is, however, do these people gained replace the business they'll lose now to further increased EPIC sales.

Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    If Alterra buys Jay Peak, it will essentially own the Ottawa-Montreal market with its Tremblant-Jay Peak combo.
    I've already penciled-in Alterra as the future owner of Jay Peak, and Jay Peak being "IKONic" will make me sad. Not as sad as Smuggler's Notch being "EPIC" mind you, but still pretty sad.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

So does Vail still keep an eye on Wachusett for an acquisition?

Wachusett ski area is leased on state owned property. Even without that, it is highly doubtful the Crowleys would ever give up their cash cow and personal playground they love to strut around on.
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Not as sad as Smuggler's Notch being "EPIC" mind you, but still pretty sad.
    What do you think the chances are the Stritzler actually sells to Vail?

[QUOTE=cdskier;1023842]The only "problem" with the Freedom pass iso, Platty is probably the closest. And a Platty pass isn't exactly cheap.
    +500 on plattekill season pass price is high all Catskills resort and without snow making of them and much less open days for customers I never understood this

To me Freedom. Hiii
    It's really sad
    Wonder if Vail Will be useful at 4 SlC mountain s

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I guess it depends on your perspective. Are there a lot more resorts close to NYC on Epic now? Sure. But are they resorts I personally want to visit? Not really. Not sure what I would do if I was still a day-tripper and random long weekend a couple times a year skier. Maybe the NY3 pass would be my choice (along with a Sugarbush quad pack and/or a K spring pass maybe).
    agreed. subjective.

Stratton, Killington, Sugarbush, Loon,

vs

Stowe, Okemo, Mt. Snow, Mt. Sunapee, Wildcat, Crotched, Hunter, Attitash

these are the destinations i would hit. left out the ones that i probably won't hit. for me, addition of hunter and mt. snow is the biggest impact.
    i maxed out on Stratton and Killington days last season. with hunter on the pass, i can do day trips. Stratton is not a day trip distance in my book.
    i can see mixing up the two depending on which western trip i want to do. but i am leaning towards epic at this point.
    gladerider

Quote Originally Posted by mgalluzz View Post
    What do you think the chances are the Stritzler actually sells to Vail?
    Pretty high. I have to imagine Vail would want it, and I cant imagine anyone else outbidding Vail for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottySkis View Post
    +500 on plattekill season pass price is high all Catskills resort and without snow making of them and much less open days for customers I never understood this
    Me three.

Always seemed to me Platty would surpass in volume what they do in price if they lowered it. The price makes no sense to me.

Already received an email from Vail informing me there is, "New Resort Access near you for the 19/20 Season!".

I've never been an EPIC passholder, but I've skied Stowe, Park City, Vail, etc..., and they data-mine both your physical address & email address when you ski Vail Resorts properties. So they use that info in their non-passholder database & pulled it by geography to send out these prospective EPIC emails today.

Thread Information