Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts. - Page 28

AlpineZone

Page 28 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Iím with BG on this one. And Iím only 15 minutes from Newark.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Same, and if you factor in traveling with a couple of young kids then itís not even a discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I’m with BG on this one. And I’m only 15 minutes from Newark.
    I once flew from Newark to Boston to ski Wachusetts. It was totally worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    I once flew from Newark to Boston to ski Wachusetts. It was totally worth it.
    Nice one.... Shortest flight I ever took for a ski trip was 2 hrs from Minneapolis to Denver when I was an Epic pass holder and raced in an after work league at Afton Alps. Easy access to the Rockies was nice but not nearly enough to make up for everything else you give up loving out there.

In an unrelated note, I'm beginning to wonder which sample is bad, my office, or this place.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Ski season is always too short

Let's say you wake up at 4:00 on Saturday morning in Newark and have the option to go to the west (let's say Utah) or let's say Killington. You can head to the airport and be on a flight, on the ground, in a car, and skiing Snowbird at 9:30. Good luck being at Killington by 9:30. South of NYC it's definitely quicker to fly west and, depending on where you're going, easier.

2003-2004: 21; 2004-2005: 27; 2005-2006: 31; 2006-2007: 31; 2007-2008: 38; 2008-2009: 43; 2009-2010: 42; 2010-2011: 46; 2011-2012: 33; 2012-2013: 26 2013-14: 18; 2014-15: 17; 2015-16: 7; 2016-17: 14; 2017-18: 23; 2018-19

2019-20 days - 1
    Wachusett: 11/15

Quote Originally Posted by Zand View Post
    Let's say you wake up at 4:00 on Saturday morning in Newark and have the option to go to the west (let's say Utah) or let's say Killington. You can head to the airport and be on a flight, on the ground, in a car, and skiing Snowbird at 9:30. Good luck being at Killington by 9:30. South of NYC it's definitely quicker to fly west and, depending on where you're going, easier.
    How slow are you driving that it is taking over 5.5 hours to get from Newark to killington? From Newark I could be in sugarbush by 9:30.

Never mind the fact that most people donít wake up at 4am and decide to plan a last minute ski trip...

Again this is all assuming you donít travel with kids. I disagree though you could absolutely wake up in Newark at 4 and be at Killington at 930. The only reason you could for Snowbird, if thatís even actually possible, is the time zone difference. Thereís no way you can ski Sunday at snowbird until 3 and get back home by 9 like you can at Killington.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Again this is all assuming you donít travel with kids. I disagree though you could absolutely wake up in Newark at 4 and be at Killington at 930. The only reason you could for Snowbird, if thatís even actually possible, is the time zone difference. Thereís no way you can ski Sunday at snowbird until 3 and get back home by 9 like you can at Killington.

I question whether you could even be at snowbird by 930 anyway. The only direct flight I see right now for a Saturday in January out of Newark leaves 830 am and arrives in Utah after 11am. Maybe it is too far out and something will be added, but southwest also just pulled out of Newark so options are a bit limited.

Am I reading your post wrong> There is no way that one could wake up at 4AM and be at Snowbird at 9:30AM. A non-stop fight between Newark and Salt Lake City is 5.5 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    There’s no way you can ski Sunday at snowbird until 3 and get back home by 9 like you can at Killington.
    Yes! You can do even BETTER than that!

You can ski till 4 (or 5 at Alta). And you’ll be back by 9! LOL

I mean 9am Monday morning!

Totally worth it.

If you're trying to “duplicate” you routine, you’ll be disappointed. But if you can think out of the box, there’re LOTS of good opportunities left and right! But I no longer bother to convince others that it can be done. I just do it, with whoever open minded enough to join me. Let the doubters argue till the cows come home.

Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder which sample is bad, my office, or this place.
    Neither “sample” is “bad”. You’re just trying to compare apples and oranges.
    Last edited by abc; Jul 26, 2019 at 5:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Oh, HELLLLLLLLLL no! That's totally false.

Were that the case, my azz would be skiing Utah far more than I ski Vermont.

Trust me, it is not easier dealing with airport transportation, airport security, delayed flights (which can screw up everything) or worse, and all logistics of travel once you arrive in Utah, than it is to simply get in my comfy SUV and drive 6.5 hours to Vermont.

Not. Even. Close.
    Yeah gotta agree. Going to Killington from L.I. almost every Friday night in the winter isn't really that bad. Leave at 7:00pm and usually putting on the fireplace and opening a beer by midnight. When I go out west I block out almost a whole day for travel because from experience, s--t happens, and frequently. The whole Kennedy/LaGuardia nightmare can waste hours just getting there and getting through baggage check/security and waiting to board.

Thread Information