Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts. - Page 30

AlpineZone

Page 30 of 68 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 675
  1. #291
    That too. And salt is much less effective at colder temps.

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

  2. #292
    This is where i disagree with BG. I think NJ does a terrible job at snow removal meanwhile Ive never had any issues in VT on the roads I use. I wish I had the picture my dad sent me a year or two ago of how bad I78 was the day after a major storm here in NJ. Add in the fact that no one in NJ knows how to drive if even a flake falls and it is a disaster.




    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

  3. #293
    Adding to how VT treats their roads,
    Interstates: plowed constantly but with greater interval than other states during snowstorms. Less salt, including less pre-emptive salt before the storm. Ice storms are particularly dangerous when the ice is the first part of the storm, I have seen where rain turns to freezing rain with zero treatment and black ice forms with multi car accidents. Then if you slide off the road, you get a ticket for driving too fast for conditions. Passing lane can have several inches on it.
    State arterial roads:
    Almost as good as Interstates, might collect an inch between plowings.
    State Routes
    (Rte 100 Ludlow to Bridgewater) No plowing for hours, 8 inches can be on the road.
    Local town roads:
    Main roads vary, smaller residential roads very infrequent plowing to no plowing until after storm.

  4. #294
    Commerce is a fair point. NJ drivers out my way still seem to have more trouble than in greater Boston. It doesn't snow much here - it's an experience issue as much as anything.

    Regarding downeast Maine, if the greater NYC winters were as harsh as downeast, two things would almost certainly be true:
    1) more money would go to snow removal, etc. (100% agree)
    2) drivers would have much more experience driving in the snow and be more comfortable driving to and from VT in a storm.

    I'm 30-35 miles from NYC. I'm not saying that when I go up 87 that people aren't almost exclusively adept and prepared to handle the elements. Rather, I'm saying the incremental skier that Vail wants to pick up from the merger are not necessarily as comfortable as posters here are. Many might take a flight with a delay over a drive back from Stowe in a storm.

    Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Ski season is always too short

  5. #295
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    27,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    I once flew from Newark to Boston to ski Wachusetts. It was totally worth it.
    Live, Ski, or Die!


  6. #296
    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    This is where i disagree with BG. I think NJ does a terrible job at snow removal meanwhile Ive never had any issues in VT on the roads I use.
    I live in a very wealthy part of the state, so if money is the issue as DHS suggests, that might be why the roads are much better here. As I said before, it's worse towards the city (or course, there are also more roads there).

    As for VT though, it's bad. You're just used to the tourist roads up there, like 89, 91, etc..., which they do work on. But if you live up there and have to drive in the non-tourist dollar areas, it can be an adventure like I've never encountered in New Jersey, and Mister Moose's last post does a great job explaining it better than I could.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  7. #297
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    I live in a very wealthy part of the state, so if money is the issue as DHS suggests, that might be why the roads are much better here. As I said before, it's worse towards the city (or course, there are also more roads there).

    As for VT though, it's bad. You're just used to the tourist roads up there, like 89, 91, etc..., which they do work on. But if you live up there and have to drive in the non-tourist dollar areas, it can be an adventure like I've never encountered in New Jersey, and Mister Moose's last post does a great job explaining it better than I could.
    Actually Im never on 89/91 in VT in the winter. 4/22a/73/100 etc are my typical primary roads. And never had any issues anywhere in the mad river valley area where I spend most of my time up there. Other areas could certainly be problematic though.

    As for NJ Im certainly close to the city so this area may just suck compared to your area. My experience is based on the Bergen/Passaic county area plus 78 east of 287 (I work in Bridgewater).

    The absolute best roads ever though from my experience were in Rochester, NY where I lived for 3 winters during college. My junior year we had lake effect snow nearly every day that winter and I lived off campus. Roads were fantastic from a snow clearing perspective.


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

  8. #298
    Up at Mount Snow right now (and have been since Thursday night). Talked to a bunch of employee friends, all year round staff. The consensus is that everyone agrees that change can seem scary at first. Just about everyone was looking forward to Vail Resorts coming in. Everyone is curious to see what will happen with the new ownership.

    Also on a side note, between when I was up here last weekend and this weekend, active demolition of the Mountain Ops building that caught fire last month began. Almost looks like they're going to try and salvage the side that was least effected by the fire where the snowcat and heavy equipment maintenance shop was located. Time will tell.

    Also, in a couple of the small houses adjacent to the Carinthia parking lot that Mount Snow owns, there's some shiny new signs identifying them as home of the Snowmaking Department and home of the Mountain Ops Department. Guess the plan for this coming season atleast for their replacement office space post fire has been figured out.

    Other than that it seems like a "normal" Summer up here. It's quiet, people are getting out and enjoying hiking, biking, boating, paddle boarding, kayaking, etc in the Green Mountains with what looks like a typical Summer maintenance routine going on on the mountain and in the base lodges

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

    '19 - '20 season:

  9. #299
    x10003q's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by Zand View Post
    Let's say you wake up at 4:00 on Saturday morning in Newark and have the option to go to the west (let's say Utah) or let's say Killington. You can head to the airport and be on a flight, on the ground, in a car, and skiing Snowbird at 9:30. Good luck being at Killington by 9:30. South of NYC it's definitely quicker to fly west and, depending on where you're going, easier.
    Getting to Snowbird in that time frame is pure fantasy. The only way you could get to Snowbird from NJ in that time frame is if you are dropped off at the steps of private jet on the runway at Teterboro or Morristown.

    Also, Newark Airport to Killington is about 4.5 hours, especially leaving at 4am. If you are 1/2 hour south of Newark Airport, you are still only 5 hours to Killington or 9am arrival.

  10. #300
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    27,401
    Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Up at Mount Snow right now (and have been since Thursday night). Talked to a bunch of employee friends, all year round staff. The consensus is that everyone agrees that change can seem scary at first. Just about everyone was looking forward to Vail Resorts coming in. Everyone is curious to see what will happen with the new ownership.

    Also on a side note, between when I was up here last weekend and this weekend, active demolition of the Mountain Ops building that caught fire last month began. Almost looks like they're going to try and salvage the side that was least effected by the fire where the snowcat and heavy equipment maintenance shop was located. Time will tell.

    Also, in a couple of the small houses adjacent to the Carinthia parking lot that Mount Snow owns, there's some shiny new signs identifying them as home of the Snowmaking Department and home of the Mountain Ops Department. Guess the plan for this coming season atleast for their replacement office space post fire has been figured out.

    Other than that it seems like a "normal" Summer up here. It's quiet, people are getting out and enjoying hiking, biking, boating, paddle boarding, kayaking, etc in the Green Mountains with what looks like a typical Summer maintenance routine going on on the mountain and in the base lodges

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
    I would imagine that Snow will make out just fine under Vail. Sure, there will be some consolidation and some jobs will be eliminated, but Vail has said in their podcast that they like to come in and work with what they have on the ground.
    Live, Ski, or Die!


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 6 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 6 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:10 PM.