• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts.

Jcb890

I filled out the form to upgrade from Peak > Epic and haven't been called.
I joined their chat on 3 different occasions and was told it was OK even though the deadline is passed and someone will reach out to me.

Jersey Skier

After skiing Hunter last week for the first time this season, I'm just glad Epic didn't do anything to destroy the ambiance of the 40+ year old bathrooms.

abc

my Epic passes arrived on 11/26. I received an email TODAY from Vail today saying my passes have been shipped! :lol:
Today must be the Vail Corp email day!

I too, got an email that my pass should be here within 7 days.

As I only requested them less than 1 month ago, and haven’t got it, I have to hope they are still going to send mine!:roll:

jaytrem

Today must be the Vail Corp email day!

I too, got an email that my pass should be here within 7 days.

As I only requested them less than 1 month ago, and haven’t got it, I have to hope they are still going to send mine!:roll:

They sent me that same email for a 2nd time a couple hours ago. I suspect those emails mean nothing. Maybe they just want to slow down the calls.

JimG.

Staff member
rumor is they are building a big new lodge among other things

Belleayre is expanding their base lodge and it has been renovated as well.

Unfortunately someone forgot to pump the septic tank it smelled awful around the lodge last week. Reminded me of the castle in the clouds.

BenedictGomez

Just finished reading the MTN 1Q20 earnings transcript.

You Peaks people new to Vail are going to to get everything short of a retinal scan & be marketed the helloutof over the next year. LOL

Here's a question an analyst asked that could have come straight from Alpinezone:

Q) Rob, I guess, as you've kind of doubled your pass base, it feels like over the last handful of years or so, are you starting to see any kind of on-mountain or maybe it's even off-mountain capacity constraints that are kind of prohibiting from selling more passes going forward?

A) We're not seeing capacity constraints. I think in terms of on-mountain, I think, there are only a handful of days typically in any year that we feel like we run into true capacity issues.

Short version: There is no crowding!

EPB

You Peaks people new to Vail are going to to get everything short of a retinal scan & be marketed the helloutof over the next year. LOL

Here's a question an analyst asked that could have come straight from Alpinezone:

Of course not - crowding problems mean $$$ out the door to address them. Vail wouldn't want the market honed in on that... I wouldn't be surprised if their next move on the east coast will be to play with day ticket rates to incentivize people to go to less crowded areas (e.g Crotched vs. Sunapee).

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

skiur

Unfortunately someone forgot to pump the septic tank it smelled awful around the lodge last week. Reminded me of the castle in the clouds.

Reminds me of when Killington built the peak lodge a few years ago, you could smell raw sewage around it for the next two seasons.

kingslug

Well..looks like some kind of bathroom renovation taking place now...which might prove a bit difficult since the season has started..and xmas is around the corner.

drjeff

Of course not - crowding problems mean $$$ out the door to address them. Vail wouldn't want the market honed in on that... I wouldn't be surprised if their next move on the east coast will be to play with day ticket rates to incentivize people to go to less crowded areas (e.g Crotched vs. Sunapee).

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

The reality is that most ski areas, at best, reach the capacity of their infrastructure *maybe* 15-25 days a year. The other 340-350 days a year, there's room to expand the potential utilization of the facilities. Now granted on so many of those days (like say random Tuesday's in May) that's not going to happen, however during the ski season, there certainly is potential to expand the customer utilization of the existing facilities most days. The business owner side of me completely gets that concept of trying to expand utilization of existing facilities. The totally self centered ski consumer side of me wishes that on some days, especially where I usually ski and with having seen an increase in utilization of the facilities the last few years, that Rob Katz's plan for Vail Resorts properties tries and encourage a lateral movement of customer utilization away from my home mountain to other resorts within the stable of Vail Resorts properties.

The struggle in my head between both of those sides of the situation is real! :razz::argue::lol::spin::dontknow:

KustyTheKlown

last time i skied belleayre (2017-2018 season, late, probably april, deck party and pond skim day) the dang fireplace in the lodge caught fire and they wouldn't let us inside to get our bags for hours. super fun day, but sitting on that deck for 2+ hours just waiting to retrieve my sneakers and car keys stunk.

jimmywilson69

The biggest thing I think they need to figure out to keep growth going is convincing the locals, at least here in south central PA, that there is value in the Epic pass. There are A LOT, and way more than you would ever imagine, people who have grown up skiing at Roundtop and have no interest in going anywhere but southcentral PA to ski. When Peaks came in last year and changed the pass structure and pricing to include "northeast" properties, people went nuts. There was a pretty large group of people who were skiing on cheap night passes, or even cheap regular passes (They were $499 the year before Peaks) to ski 3 local hills. IMO snowtime was actually shorting themselves money, but at the same time maybe they weren't.

I guess what I'm trying to say is a lot of these people have claimed to have been priced out and our likely never coming back. so Vail's challenge is 1) bring these people back, with some sort of local pass option, or whatever 2) then convince these people that because they have access to an epic pass a ski vacation either up north or out west is not as expensive as they think its

someone like me, this is a great play. I usually go out west at least once and up north at least twice. I'm already considering a 3rd trip up north because the wife loves Okemo and why not, the skiing is free...