• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts.

abc

Even though I could get to JFK in 45 min (1/2 hr to LGA) at 5am. I’ve NEVER gone to Snowbird for just a weekend.

The shortest I’ve gone were 3 days. The truth being, it’s really 2 & 1/2 days of skiing.

It’s totally worth it, when the stars aligned. On the other hand, a 1 & 1/2 day weekend is really questionable. More typically, I do 4 day extended weekend instead.

But that’s just me. I also don’t go up to Killington every weekend either. It boggles my mind on people driving from the city to MRG every weekend either.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Talked to a bunch of employee friends, all year round staff. The consensus is that everyone agrees that change can seem scary at first. Just about everyone was looking forward to Vail Resorts coming in. Everyone is curious to see what will happen with the new ownership.

How do you have so many friends who've never heard of the internet?

Sheep should never be optimistic when wolves move to town.

It boggles my mind on people driving from the city to MRG every weekend either.

Welcome to my life. Leave Thursday afternoon, ski Friday & Saturday, return Sunday.

Admittedly, I'm going to have a kid born any day now, and I (selfishly) have no idea how this will affect my skiing this season, but I imagine I'm going to go from about 20 days to less than 10 days. :(

EDIT: The upside (so this doesnt sound too depressing) is I'm already thinking it's going to be so cool enrolling them in learn-to-ski when they're 3.5 years old.

drjeff

Welcome to my life. Leave Thursday afternoon, ski Friday & Saturday, return Sunday.

Admittedly, I'm going to have a kid born any day now, and I (selfishly) have no idea how this will affect my skiing this season, but I imagine I'm going to go from about 20 days to less than 10 days. :(

EDIT: The upside (so this doesnt sound too depressing) is I'm already thinking it's going to be so cool enrolling them in learn-to-ski when they're 3.5 years old.
The friends I talked to, aren't part time seasonal staff, but actual year round employees who chose a career in the ski industry, not glorified ski bums looking for a free season pass.

To them, and yes they are aware of the anti Vail gripes by employees, they see a greater quantity of opportunities for career advancement within Vail Resorts than Peak Resorts. Additionally there was some talk about Vail Resorts full time employee benefits being better than what Peak Resorts offered.

I'll be curious to see what they're thinking once the deal officially closes and the teams that Vail Resorts deploys to their new acquisitions upon closing to start the integration of the resort into Vail Resorts systems

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

EPB

I'm in a similar boat. Not getting a pass at all this year. Hoping for a couple weekends and a few random days. Would be happy getting 8-10 days this year.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

The friends I talked to, aren't part time seasonal staff, but actual year round employees who chose a career in the ski industry, not glorified ski bums looking for a free season pass.

Even worse.

When Vail buys a property it achieves margin improvement by getting ridding of precisely those people. There's already somebody in a seat for XYZ job working in Colorado. Maybe you'll stay on if you work in day-to-day operations or something like that, but if you work in accounting, finance, marketing, sales, etc... you should probably dust off your resume.

I'm in a similar boat. Not getting a pass at all this year. Hoping for a couple weekends and a few random days. Would be happy getting 8-10 days this year.

Congratulations!

I'm thinking of focusing on quality of days & more storm-hunting (i.e. only go when it's really good).

Congratulations!

Ty.

Newpylong

Even worse.

When Vail buys a property it achieves margin improvement by getting ridding of precisely those people. There's already somebody in a seat for XYZ job working in Colorado. Maybe you'll stay on if you work in day-to-day operations or something like that, but if you work in accounting, finance, marketing, sales, etc... you should probably dust off your resume.

Flip side - many promotions / lateral movements within Peak have more to do with who they know and less how they perform their job.

Not all of what that FGBM fellow writes on here is false unfortunately.

Newpylong

It would be naive to think that most corporations do not function like that - just stating the facts as they stand.

EPB

Seconded!
Thanks, and you, too, BG! Thinking of trying to organize a trip with grandparents as built-in baby sitters to Whiteface. Still never been to LP.

Will be inflexible on the date most likely, which sounds like it could lead to a real hit-or-miss scenario. Still think it would be fun to check the place out.

skifree

Thanks, and you, too, BG! Thinking of trying to organize a trip with grandparents as built-in baby sitters to Whiteface. Still never been to LP.

Will be inflexible on the date most likely, which sounds like it could lead to a real hit-or-miss scenario. Still think it would be fun to check the place out.

Congrats!!!
And enjoy new furniture/cars your wife will buy while your skiing.

BenedictGomez

Will be inflexible on the date most likely, which sounds like it could lead to a real hit-or-miss scenario.

I always say, "one does not plan a trip to Whiteface", but given the infant situation, this would be the rare exception. There will be plenty of shopping, dining, Olympic site visiting, etc.... to keep the grandparents interest while babysitting. Sounds like a great plan, just have to hope the snow is there.

abc

I always say, "one does not plan a trip to Whiteface", but given the infant situation, this would be the rare exception. There will be plenty of shopping, dining, Olympic site visiting, etc.... to keep the grandparents interest while babysitting. Sounds like a great plan, just have to hope the snow is there.
I felt WF had improved on that respect? I've had good luck at WF the last few years. I thought their snow making and grooming is decent enough to overcome the iffy conditions.

Or perhaps I was just luckier the last couple times I was up there.

jaytrem

Congrats to both you and EPB! Might not be a popular opinion but teaching your kids yourself can be a blast. Since my kids started skiing at 4, 100% of their skiing has been with me and 95% of mine has been with them. That's a boat load of quality time, wouldn't change a thing.

x10003q

I felt WF had improved on that respect? I've had good luck at WF the last few years. I thought their snow making and grooming is decent enough to overcome the iffy conditions.

Or perhaps I was just luckier the last couple times I was up there.

You just got lucky:-D

thebigo

We got our peak passes in the mail today. They were mailed in a branded envelope, with a small book including a page on each mountain. Also included were several stickers and a branded goggle wipe. Best presentation i recollect over a lifetime of picking up passes and more typical of a healthy company than one about to sell.

Edd

We got our peak passes in the mail today. They were mailed in a branded envelope, with a small book including a page on each mountain. Also included were several stickers and a branded goggle wipe. Best presentation i recollect over a lifetime of picking up passes and more typical of a healthy company than one about to sell.

So this was for the Peak hills only, right? Haven’t received mine yet.

chuckstah

Got mine today as well. Good presentation for sure. Peak Pass only Edd.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app