Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts. - Page 24

AlpineZone

Page 24 of 68 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 672
  1. #231
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Anyone foresee Boyne selling out?
    How much do the Kircher children enjoy the prestige & respect of being top management & the lifestyle-trappings that come with that?

    Because that's for the life of me the only reason I see for them possibly not selling right now.

    We are in he golden age of skiing M&A, and they will NEVER in their lifetime get a better opportunity to sell than right now. They have to know this. The obvious acquirer would be Alterra, which could lock Big Sky down forever rather than having a trial contract that may-or-may-not be renewed, as well as for Brighton, which they would immediately unlock huge value from by meshing it with Solitude.

    Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    What I AM saying is Vail is unlikely to expand the eastern destination which may compete with their primary goal of driving skiers to the western destination mountains.
    I disagree. Once YoY comps become difficult I think Vail is likely to "expand" in all sorts of places many may view as unsuspected. Internationally is my #1 bet, for reasons that are turbo cynical even by my well-known highly-cynical standards.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  2. #232
    Newpylong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upper Valley, NH
    Posts
    2,990
    I think the amoeba is done and I wouldn't be surprised at seeing a divestiture before another aquisition by Vail in the East.
    Last edited by Newpylong; Jul 26, 2019 at 4:50 AM.

  3. #233
    Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    They sent an e-mail out about this to members of the forum on Tuesday (or maybe it was just to members like myself, who responded to the page that popped up saying that my account had been blocked and to contact the admins if I felt this was wrongly done - I did contact the admins through the link that popped up).

    The official explanation they gave was 2 fold. First, they expected a large number of questions from members about the details of the merger, and 2nd, for full transparency, they wanted to only address and answer the questions via their public social media feeds to make sure that everyone can see the questions and answers.



    Going forward, I will be interesting to see if the communications crew from Mount Snow are as active on AZ as they have been in the past, or if Vail policy changes that? Time will tell I guess
    RIP MtSnowNingOwitz

    I wonder if Vail would be interested in Maple Valley....
    SoVT

  4. #234
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    RIP MtSnowNingOwitz

    I wonder if Vail would be interested in Maple Valley....
    Or connecting to Haystack and the other side of Crotched... Why have we been obsessed with Smuggs when these other potential connections were right under our noses?

    Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Ski season is always too short

  5. #235
    Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post
    Or connecting to Haystack and the other side of Crotched... Why have we been obsessed with Smuggs when these other potential connections were right under our noses?
    No horse-drawn ski lifts or tunnel blasting = BORINGGGGGGGG
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  6. #236
    Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    I seem to read there’s a word “if” in the post you quote.
    And this is inconsistent with may claim that you think Vail would be fine losing money on its eastern resorts as long as it increased profits at its western resorts how, exactly? I thought your problem was just poor reading comprehension and a misunderstanding of basic economics. It turns out that it is the much more serious problem of lacking a fundamental grasp of the basic semantic and logical consequences of the words you use. Until you remedy that, talking to you is like talking to a plant. Completely pointless.

    Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Yeah, call me condescending.
    I called your attitude toward eastern skiing condescending. I know reading comprehension is not you strong suit, but sheesh.

  7. #237
    Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post
    Okay I think you need some basic corporate finance to understand this.

    [Snip a bunch of non-sequiturs]

    Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Um, thanks for the lesson, I guess. I dispute nothing you just said. What I dispute, one again, is abc's idiotic claim that the reason for the acquisition was to funnel more eastern skiers to Vail's western resort, in particular, to Vail's hotels and restaurants in Vail village. If this acquisition only made sense to Vail because of some projections on how it would impact visits to its western holdings, then everyone should divest their stock in Vail immediately.
    Last edited by Domeskier; Jul 26, 2019 at 8:49 AM.

  8. #238
    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I think some people (not just you) are focusing a bit too much on the eastern resorts in the Peaks portfolio. While those are certainly nice and give Vail a probably pretty reliable income stream, don't overlook the mid-western and even smaller PA resorts near the DC area. Buying Peaks gives them access to skiers in numerous major metro areas. For Mt Snow/Hunter/Wildcat skiers here in the Northeast this may not be a big deal from a western perspective because we already have pretty decent sized mountains with pretty decent skiing. However the people skiing little hills in the mid-west now suddenly are getting access to much bigger resorts out west (and in the northeast) by virtue of becoming Epic. Those people (not the north eastern skiers) are the ones that are probably far more likely to suddenly want to plan trips to other Epic/Vail resorts. Don't think for a second that this wasn't a substantial factor in the Peaks acquisition.
    Yes, actual feeder hills. Not Stowe/Okemo/Mt. Snow. Vail is in the business of selling lift tickets and season passes at the resorts it owns and operates. The fact that abc thinks the skiing is superior at Vail than at Stowe or any other major eastern resort in Vail's portfolio is irrelevant. Vail wants people skiing at resorts that Vail owns. Having a lot of resorts all around the world ensures that Vail skiers will likely ski at Vail resorts when they vacation. These skiers may even change their customary plans and stay in Vail Village for a couple days every few years or so, where Vail can make some profits off its hotels and restaurants. But to think that all of Vail's acquisitions are somehow intended to get people to come to Vail Village is the height of ignorance.

  9. #239
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    27,401
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    I disagree. Once YoY comps become difficult I think Vail is likely to "expand" in all sorts of places many may view as unsuspected. Internationally is my #1 bet, for reasons that are turbo cynical even by my well-known highly-cynical standards.
    I am pretty sure that Vail already owns resorts in other countries.
    Live, Ski, or Die!


  10. #240
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    27,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    I think the amoeba is done and I wouldn't be surprised at seeing a divestiture before another aquisition by Vail in the East.
    Agreed. I am interested to see what resort(s) they sell. I read that Vail was not at all happy with the condition of the lifts at Crested Butte and had to knock down the price paid.
    Live, Ski, or Die!


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 8 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 8 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:16 AM.